Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

9-yr-old girl pepper-sprayed by NY cops

Eldorado

Police officers in the US have been suspended after a video emerged appearing to show them pepper-spraying and handcuffing a nine-year-old girl.

Following public outrage at the body camera footage released on Sunday, officials at the city of Rochester, New York suspended the officers involved until an internal investigation is completed.

The footage shows officers restraining the child as they attempt to get her into a car.  The girl repeatedly screams: "I want my dad."

At one point, an officer is heard telling her to “stop acting like a child” to which she cried, “I am a child”.

Full story at ITV UK: Link

And at NBC: Link

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

19 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

At one point, an officer is heard telling her to “stop acting like a child” to which she cried, “I am a child”.

:lol: I'm a butt for laughing, but... 

For others across the pond, do yall hear about stuff like this in your countries? Something is seriously wrong with law enforcement in this country, in general 

Edited by HandsomeGorilla
  • Like 4

Protesters marched on the police station in Rochester, New York, on Monday amid public anger at the recent pepper-spraying of a 9-year-old girl.

Videos showed protesters push-over barricades set-up outside the Rochester Police Department (RPD) building as they marched with banners and placards, some with “Black Lives Matter” written on them.

Full report at MSN: Link

7 hours ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

:lol: I'm a butt for laughing, but... 

For others across the pond, do yall hear about stuff like this in your countries? Something is seriously wrong with law enforcement in this country, in general 

no, but I am pretty sure it does happen, stupidity is a human trait.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Police officers in the US have been suspended after a video emerged appearing to show them pepper-spraying and handcuffing a nine-year-old girl.

Following public outrage at the body camera footage released on Sunday, officials at the city of Rochester, New York suspended the officers involved until an internal investigation is completed.

The footage shows officers restraining the child as they attempt to get her into a car.  The girl repeatedly screams: "I want my dad."

Full story at ITV UK: Link

And at NBC: Link

first link was removed

• Thanks 1

I'd love to see how the pro brutality people try to spin this...

• Like 1

I'd love to see a more stupid reply.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

The links didn't tell me what the arrest was for.

Until I have more details I'm not going to assume any negative of the cops.

I've worked with residential foster children were we had to physically restrain kids and teenagers.

And to be blunt the public is ****en stupid. They have no idea how violent and insane a kid can get. The average person has a unrealistic view of these situations. They freak whenever a hand is out on a child for any reason.

We had med students touring the facility when a restraint was happening with a 11 year old. The students reported the facility to CPS. Because the kid is the restraint was screaming bloody mary and crying. 

What the students didn't see is the kid trying to physical murder another smaller child and would not stop unless restrained. I have seen kids literally stab other kids with scissors, using them like a knife. How would you guys like adults to stop or handel that situation? They probably need to be physical to do it.

So I do not know enough about to situation to know if the cops needed to restrain her.

What was the call about? 

I watched the video.  She wouldn't get into the car, then she wouldn't lift her feet into the car, so he sprayed her in the face. Her hands were cuffed behind her back.

It's on you tube and easy enough to find.

2 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

I watched the video.  She wouldn't get into the car, then she wouldn't lift her feet into the car, so he sprayed her in the face. Her hands were cuffed behind her back.

It's on you tube and easy enough to find.

I mean what led to her needing to be put into a police car in the first place?

Edit: I spoke too fast. On my second part.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

Officers were called to a home on the afternoon of January 29 for a report of "family trouble," Anderson said Sunday.
The officers were told the girl was "suicidal" and that she had "indicated that she wanted to kill herself and she wanted to kill her mom," the deputy chief explained.
The girl tried to flee from officers, Anderson said, and video released by police shows an officer chase her and attempt to provide assistance.
Afterward, he said, her mother arrived and the body camera video shows the two arguing. Anderson said officers then decided to remove the child from the situation and transport her to an area hospital.
But the girl refused to get inside a police vehicle, "thrashed around," and kicked an officer, knocking his body camera around, according to Anderson.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, aztek said:
Officers were called to a home on the afternoon of January 29 for a report of "family trouble," Anderson said Sunday.
The officers were told the girl was "suicidal" and that she had "indicated that she wanted to kill herself and she wanted to kill her mom," the deputy chief explained.
The girl tried to flee from officers, Anderson said, and video released by police shows an officer chase her and attempt to provide assistance.
Afterward, he said, her mother arrived and the body camera video shows the two arguing. Anderson said officers then decided to remove the child from the situation and transport her to an area hospital.
But the girl refused to get inside a police vehicle, "thrashed around," and kicked an officer, knocking his body camera around, according to Anderson.

Would be good that police officer use common sense more and that people listen, respect and obey to police officer...

Edited by Jon the frog

"What happened Friday was simply horrible, and has rightly outraged, all of our community," said Mayor Lovely Warren.

"Unfortunately, (New York) state law and union contract prevents me from taking more immediate and serious action."

https://www.france24.com/en/americas/20210202-anger-after-us-police-handcuff-and-pepper-spray-9-year-old-girl-in-rochester-ny

8 hours ago, aztek said:

even more so with how kids get raised.  

You mean they should be passive when removed from their homes and grow up to be "law abiding never question the state citizens"?  Were you raised to never resist even if you feel wronged?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Also want to point out that when people talk about adding social workers to help police with certain calls that these are the type of situations they are talking about.

A 9 year old girl wanting to kill herself and her mom is probably having a psychotic episode. Cops don't really have much training in dealing with mental illness like that.

A social worker has more training on deescalating situations like that 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

Also want to point out that when people talk about adding social workers to help police with certain calls that these are the type of situations they are talking about.

A 9 year old girl wanting to kill herself and her mom is probably having a psychotic episode. Cops don't really have much training in dealing with mental illness like that.

A social worker has more training on deesculating situations like that 

and when those mental patients go wild and hurt or kill the social worker, then what?   do you think social workers will want to go where a violent mental case is acting up??   

Just now, aztek said:

and when those mental patients go wild and hurt or kill the social worker, then what?   do you think social workers will want to go where a violent mental case is acting up??   

You have the cop there too. The best solution is to have both and that is what some places are piloting with "mobile crisis units".

I don't think social worker alone is good, no.

• Like 5

So the cops were called on a 9yr old kid for being suicidal and everyone here thinks its her fault for not behaving rationally?  Seems about right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I don't care what she was doing there is no need to ever pepper spray a nine year old child.  **** these idiots.  Fire them.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I don't care what she was doing there is no need to ever pepper spray a nine year old child.  **** these idiots.  Fire them.  

It's either pepper spray or physical manhandle her in. Is physically shoving, pulling, and pushing better?

Does one run a higher risk of injury. Idk. 

(Assuming she needed to be removed form the situation, which could be up for debate)

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

maybe it was not a mental issue at all,  but a parenting failure and exposure to culture that glorifies violence

Edited by aztek
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

It's either pepper spray or physical manhandle her in. Is physically shoving, pulling, and pushing better?

Does one run a higher risk of injury. Idk. 

(Assuming she needed to be removed form the situation, which could be up for debate)

I'm pretty sure I could subdue a nine year old safely with two other fully grown people helping without anyone getting injured.  Especially if she was already cuffed.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

Just now, OverSword said:

I'm pretty sure I could subdue a nine year old safely with two other people helping without anyone getting injured.  Especially if she was already cuffed.

So is only the pepper spray part that you have an issue with?

If they did it without pepper spray would it be contraversal?

Genuine question.

• Like 2

Just now, spartan max2 said:

So is only the pepper spray part that you have an issue with?

If they did it without pepper spray would it be contraversal?

Genuine question.

Yes, I believe so.  They obviously have no choice but to subdue her.  That can be done to a 60 or 70 pound person without chemicals.  Suppose she has COPD or Asthma, pepper spray can have dangerous affects on people with respitory issues.

• Like 2