Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Amazon fined $61.7M for stealing drivers tips

Eldorado

Amazon.com Inc agreed to pay more than $61.7 million to settle allegations it cheated Amazon Flex drivers out of nearly one-third of tips from customers for more than two years, the Federal Trade Commission said on Tuesday.

The money paid to the FTC will be used to compensate drivers, the agency said.

Reuters report

Yahoo finance

• Like 4

I hate every aspect of Amazon! They totally take the p*** out of anyone and everyone. :angry:

• Like 6

I don't like Amazon either.   They want to be a monopoly like Google.  

• Like 2

I do whatever I can to avoid a-hole-azon... but it's still a regular use thing during this pandemic.  Etsy seems a good option.  I'd love to hear of what others use to avoid azon ugliness.

I've still never set foot in a Walmart, not one dime have I spent with them.  Actually attended my first city council meetings to be actively a part in keeping them from opening anything in our city.   They're like a retail cancer, murdering all the awesome character places of a city in favor of saving a few nickels on bread and milk.  Their employees seem akin to indentured servants, working full time and living at the poverty level.  Disgusting company.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

I do whatever I can to avoid a-hole-azon... but it's still a regular use thing during this pandemic.  Etsy seems a good option.  I'd love to hear of what others use to avoid azon ugliness.

I've still never set foot in a Walmart, not one dime have I spent with them.  Actually attended my first city council meetings to be actively a part in keeping them from opening anything in our city.   They're like a retail cancer, murdering all the awesome character places of a city in favor of saving a few nickels on bread and milk.  Their employees seem akin to indentured servants, working full time and living at the poverty level.  Disgusting company.

I have amazon prime that I am going to cancel.  I have one of their tv firesticks that my sister gave me for my tv but I am going this week to buy a roku and switch back to that, then I will cancel my Prime subscription.  The only thing I buy on amazon is books because I buy books for my friend's son, who is in prison and can't get anything shipped directly.  It has to come from Amazon.  That is how they have infiltrated everything.    I never watch anything on Prime anyway since what I want to see that they have costs extra on top of the monthly fee.

One thing I have done is when I need to order something I search and if it shows up on Amazon I look at the brand they are selling and then buy it directly from the company website instead of from Amazon.  It almost always costs less.

Depending on what you are shopping for I can recommend some websites like Grove.com for cleaning supplies and personal care products, Stasher.com if you want to quit using plastic in the kitchen, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

I like Etsy but find them a bit expensive. I only buy special presents and birthday cards from them . . . they usually have something a bit different. I buy anything and everything from ebay! I have no problems with ebay, the company itself, at all, just occasionally with one of the sellers. But ebay are great for sorting out problems and getting refunds from sellers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ouija ouija said:

I like Etsy but find them a bit expensive. I only buy special presents and birthday cards from them . . . they usually have something a bit different. I buy anything and everything from ebay! I have no problems with ebay, the company itself, at all, just occasionally with one of the sellers. But ebay are great for sorting out problems and getting refunds from sellers.

I sold a few things on Etsy when I wasn't working.   It was a good deal for the sellers back then, but now it has gotten more expensive.  The trickiest part for me was figuring out what to charge for shipping.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Amazon was aware of drivers urinating in bottles and defecating in bags despite issuing a denial of the practice, according to leaked documents.

The internet giant had denied on its official Twitter account that drivers were skipping restroom breaks as they sought to meet delivery targets.

In a post on Amazon News it said: “You don’t really believe the peeing in bottles thing, do you?”

But according to documents leaked to The Intercept managers were aware of the practice.

MSN

• Sad 1

That is another reason I quit using Amazon.  If I order something online and amazon comes up in my search, I look at the brand names of the product I want and go directly to that brand's website to shop.   At this point I would rather buy something from Walmart than Amazon and that is saying a lot since I hate Walmart.  AND if you have an HP printer it costs less to order it directly from HP because they don't charge shipping and the price is the same as the price Walmart sells it for.  It actually arrives quicker from HP than anywhere else as well.

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2021 at 12:25 AM, quiXilver said:

I never used Amazon and I never will use Amazon. I do 97% of my purchases on the web, mostly from professional dealers on Ebay. I dont even buy E-books there, I buy these from a domestic publisher. Amazon might be a nice to have somehow and for some but for me I dont see a need for.

Edited by toast
  • Like 2

Amazon.com Inc has apologized to U.S. Representative Mark Pocan, admitting to scoring an "own goal" in its initial denial of his suggestion that its drivers were sometimes forced to urinate in bottles during their delivery rounds.

MSN

NBC

Amazon.com Inc illegally fired two employees who advocated for better working conditions during the pandemic, the U.S. National Labor Relations Board has found.

The online retailer last year terminated the employment of Emily Cunningham and Maren Costa, who accused the company of enforcing policies in a discriminatory fashion and having vague rules that "chill and restrain" staff from exercising rights, according to their charge filed in October, seen by Reuters.

https://www.reuters.com/article/instant-article/idUSL4N2LY1UA

• Sad 1

Smaller Grocery stores that served my community for years have all closed. I can easily think of ten off the top of my head.

The thing is, Walmart and Amazon have become like the “company store” in many areas. Employees are not paid enough to buy from the stores they work in, but these stores will gladly extend high interest credit cards to suck underpaid employees in, to make up the difference, creating a viscous cycle of poverty.

Clearly, the republic has failed The People, in large part because of conservative efforts to squash organized labor.

“Right to work states” perpetuate a lie, as most have state employees with fat pensions supported by The People. Yet, these same states have passed laws to prevent organized labor efforts by The People.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 2

The world’s billionaires added more than $5 trillion to their wealth over the last year, with the richest 2,755 people on earth amassing more than $13 trillion.

MSN

• Sad 1

I love Amazon, it’s an effective service model. It’s efficient, and I am addicted to the convenience, but the workers need to organize.

Walmart, I hate, mostly because they are forcing me to check myself out, more and more. If I have purchased a cart full, I want some help with it, or at least that option. Walmart often doesn’t even offer to help, instead they call their forced self-service area the “bull pen,” like we are subhuman to management. Cripple carts are a constant problem. One in ten are often inoperable, adding to the misery of the shopping experience.

Lately, Walmart posts what look like bar bouncers in one of my stores, who, again, look at me like I’m subhuman when I’m clearly honest and have broken my arms checking myself out.

I avoid Walmart whenever I can, due to the absolute misery they are bringing my shopping experience. Oh, and their produce is often old and rancid. You don’t dare buy it. Their meat department, unappealing and always lacking in variety. Half the stuff you need is often unstocked, which makes your trip a waste of time. 

Walmart has become a true house of horrors, in terms of the shopping experience. Consumers are looked upon as subhuman, so you can imagine how they view their slaves.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 1

The thing that boggles my mind more than anything, is how the conservative lies have propagated, without serious questions being raised about the social implications of an unfair pay scale.

The availability of consumer credit, is obviously one of the reasons why the lies have propagated. I would argue that the Free Press is also partly responsible because it doesn’t provide a true picture of the dangers of big business to a poverty stricken society.

Only when we see the underlying motivations of a conservative mindset spill out onto a pandemic, do we catch a glimpse of the underlying nature of the error in thinking. That is, people don’t matter, only business matters vs. The People matter more, type model.

This doesn’t seem to be a liberal versus conservative issue, but rather a life and death issue. People obviously need livelihoods, but without life, there are no livelihoods.

Thus, the pandemic has helped expose a terrible lie which has crippled U.S. The essential workers are revealed as underpaid, and under appreciated.

The conservative model does not really care about life, only business, perfectly exemplified by Donald Trump‘s careless behavior and obvious indifference to life.

Edited by Raptor Witness

4 hours ago, Raptor Witness said:

Walmart, I hate, mostly because they are forcing me to check myself out, more and more

Oh man, I prefer self-check our everywhere I go. No matter how big the cart haha.

I'm part of the problem :P

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Oh man, I prefer self-check our everywhere I go. No matter how big the cart haha.

The grocery store I go to does not let you use your reusable bags except in the self checkout and I like it better because I often have had frustration with the way they bag my stuff.   Since I am picky about that self checkout is the perfect solution.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

Hardly the truth, and I wasn’t arguing that it should not be optional. I certainly don’t mind if it’s just a handful of items.

The Walmart term “bullpen,” is what I find most objectionable. clearly they view human beings as cattle when it comes to their operations.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

The grocery store I go to does not let you use your reusable bags except in the self checkout and I like it better because I often have had frustration with the way they bag my stuff.   Since I am picky about that self checkout is the perfect solution.

Again, I certainly don’t mind if it’s optional but one of the newer Walmart stores that I occasionally shop at, there are no more checkout lines, it’s all self check out.

The other thing is, for some elderly folks in the community, the checkout person may be the only other human being they have contact with during the entire week.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

Again, I certainly don’t mind if it’s optional but one of the newer Walmart stores that I occasionally shop at, there are no more checkout lines, it’s all self check out.

The other thing is, for some elderly folks in the community, the checkout person may be the only other human being they have contact with during the entire week.

I think Walmart is a scourge.   The town my sister lives in had several nice grocery stores and after Walmart moved in and added a grocery section (1990's) all the grocery stores closed except for one local store and one Albertsons.   Albertsons in New Mexico is notorious for price gouging and rancid meat.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I think Walmart is a scourge.   The town my sister lives in had several nice grocery stores and after Walmart moved in and added a grocery section (1990's) all the grocery stores closed except for one local store and one Albertsons.   Albertsons in New Mexico is notorious for price gouging and rancid meat.

My story is a bit better. I saw the genesis of Walmart in the 1960’s. I even met Sam Walton, as a boy.

Walmart was the first at several things. The first to have a pharmacy coupled with a hardware store, which later began selling grocery items in limited amounts. They started out just selling dry and canned goods, then expanded later to stores with full-blown grocery departments.

I bet there are very few people here, who remember Walmart before they sold groceries.

What truly separated them from other retailers, was their “satisfaction guaranteed or your money back” policy.

The other thing that Walmart would do is they would have live radio shows every day highlighting items for sale. They did the same thing with their pharmacy, which is very unusual. The pharmacist became a radio celebrity, of sorts. In fact, I still remember his name to this day, because of those live radio shows.

”Walmart Discount City” became a mantra for a shopping experience, and a community gathering place. This is still true today, as my mother tries to visit Walmart at least once a day for her retail therapy.

Edited by Raptor Witness

2 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

My story is a bit better. I saw the genesis of Walmart in the 1960’s. I even met Sam Walton, as a boy.

Walmart was the first at several things. The first to have a pharmacy coupled with a hardware store, which later began selling grocery items in limited amounts. They started out just selling limited dry and canned goods, they then expanded later to stores with full-blown grocery departments.

I bet there are very few people here, who remember Walmart before they sold  groceries.

What truly separated them from other retailers, was their “satisfaction guaranteed or your money back” policy.

The thing that Walmart would do which I also found fascinating is they would have live radio shows every day highlighting items for sale. They did the same thing with their pharmacy, which is very unusual. The pharmacist became a radio celebrity, of sorts. In fact, I still remember his name to this day, because of those live radio shows.

”Walmart Discount City” became a mantra for a shopping experience, and a community gathering place. This is still true today, as my 80 year mother tries to visit Walmart at least once a day for her retail therapy.

Wow.  The first Walmart I ever saw was in the 80's.  It did not have a grocery store and my sister told me "If you need shampoo or other stuff go to Walmart, you can get it cheap."   One day I needed shampoo and had only 10.00 (the days of having to decide whether to pay rent or buy food).  I went to Walmart just to get shampoo.   Back then the colors were orange and brown I think (fall colors) and I am SURE they had subliminal messages in the music on the speaker.    I found the shampoo but on the way I kept hearing "you should buy it now, the price will never be this low again."   By the time I got to the checkout I had a full cart of crap I did not need nor could pay for.  I just walked away and never went in to that Walmart again.    

A few years later I did go to Walmart as I had moved for a better job and the apartment was walking distance from the Walmart, (also a small town that lost a lot of grocery stores).  This Walmart had a grocery store and I went only two times and both times spent more money than I should have, bringing home crap I didn't need.   So I guess I am very susceptible to something that goes on there.   

• Like 2

The underlying problem is that business has managed to corrupt government to such a degree, that the checks and balances set forth in our constitution simply haven’t worked.

Without careful self examination, as to why the republic has failed, the republic is doomed.

I could even go so far as to say that the death of the republic is guaranteed, if it continues in the same manner, as we have seen occur during this pandemic.

The current model has simply failed. Worse, the arrogance over what we have, is preventing self examination.

Successful business models aren’t the underlying problem. Unadaptable government models are the problem. There simply was no way to combat the deception provided by the conservative model, without something like a pandemic to help uncover it. That is the sad truth.

12 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

The underlying problem is that business has managed to corrupt government to such a degree, that the checks and balances set forth in our constitution simply haven’t worked.

Without careful self examination, as to why the republic has failed, the republic is doomed.

I could even go so far as to say that the death of the republic is guaranteed, if it continues in the same manner, as we have seen occur during this pandemic.

The current model has simply failed. Worse, the arrogance over what we have, is preventing self examination.

Successful business models aren’t the underlying problem. Unadaptable government models are the problem. There simply was no way to combat the deception provided by the conservative model, without something like a pandemic to help uncover it. That is the sad truth.

I don't agree with that, I think it is corporations being treated as a human in legal matters, allowed to buy/own politicians etc. Our government, as designed is quite viable, we just need to get big money out of the government's pocket and disconnect the puppet strings they have ahold of connected to our politicians.   

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Thanks 1