Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

How to fall asleep quickly

Eldorado

Having spent all of January and the beginning of February stuck once again in lockdown, it's understandable if you're struggling to get to sleep or having your shut-eye disrupted regularly. However, a US army military technique may just help you nod off.

Here it is:

1. Relax the muscles in your face, including tongue, jaw and the muscles around the eyes
  2. Drop your shoulders as far down as they'll go, followed by your upper and lower arm, one side at a time
  3. Breathe out, relaxing your chest followed by your legs, starting from the thighs and working down

You should then spend 10 seconds trying to clear your mind before thinking about one of the three following images:

• You're lying in a canoe on a calm lake with nothing but a clear blue sky above you
  • You're lying in a black velvet hammock in a pitch-black room
  • You say "don't think, don't think, don't think" to yourself over and over for about 10 seconds.

And that's it!

Source: Lad Bible

• Like 2

HandsomeGorilla

Except when your brain decides to scream HEY YOU PROBABLY LEFT YOUR CAR DOOR SLIGHTLY AJAR AGAIN DUMMY LOL

• Haha 2

Xeno-Fish

Slow drifting, drifting off to sleep.....

(my bladder) "Why hello there."

• Haha 4

zep73

I've tried everything. The only thing that works is not trying. Just let your mind drift.

Edited by zep73
  • Like 3

Hyperionxvii

I found the cure for this. I had terrible insomnia for years, decades even.

Mostly that consisted of the fact that I'd wake up in the middle of the night. Like 2-3 am. I'd do that every night. Sometimes I was able to go back to sleep. But many times, I could not, and then I'd start obsessing with not being able to go back to sleep because I had to work the next morning! This would assure I'd be so anxious that I would not go back to sleep. Many, many nights like this.

Until the pandemic lockdowns started last spring. Knowing that I did not have to get up and commute, because I was working from home every day, and it wasn't that big of deal if I was a little sleepy the next morning, I'd just get up and do something when I woke up and go back to sleep whenever I fell back asleep. 

Then, I learned about first and second sleep. I do that every night now and I never feel lacking of sleep. I go to bed about 11pm and like clockwork, at 3am I will wake up, and get up wide awake. I just go to my computer and do stuff, whatever. About an hour later, I eat something light, like a salad, or some soup, or whatever. And I go back to sleep about 5am. I wake up when the alarm goes off at 9am and go to my desk for work During this second sleep, I often have intense dreams and when I wake up, I fully remember them. I had not done that for many years. I will never go back to trying an 8 hour sleep. Segmented sleep is the best. 

• Like 2

Hyperionxvii
7 minutes ago, zep73 said:

I've tried everything. The only thing that works is not trying. Just let you mind drift.

Try what I just posted above. I know several other people besides me that this has been nothing less than a sleep miracle for. You can research it online, there's lots of info now.

Edited by Hyperionxvii

zep73
2 minutes ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Try what I just posted below.

Thanks, but "not trying" works for me :tu:

SecretSanta
18 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Slow drifting, drifting off to sleep.....

(my bladder) "Why hello there."

(My brain) and since you’re up did you lock the doors...pay the PayPal bill...feed the dogs.....

Edited by SecretSanta
  • Haha 1

Hyperionxvii
1 minute ago, zep73 said:

Thanks, but "not trying" works for me :tu:

Well, if you are good at that. Myself, I was terrible at it. Gotta count sheep, they said that will work! 

I'm completely sold on my 2 phase sleep and will never go back.

Michelle

I watch Frasier...

• Haha 2

HandsomeGorilla

Actual conversation between my brain and I 

*almost asleep and hear a whisper*

Brain: hey bro I didn't wanna bother you while you were asleep

Me: k sup? 

Brain: can I ask you a question?

Me : didn't you just ask one? What is it, dude?

Brain :... So why do flamingos have those weird knees? And do penguins even have knees? 

We don't get along

Did yall share a room with an annoying little brother when you were a kid? Yea, I didn't, either, I WAS the annoying little brother. Now I get it. 

Edited by HandsomeGorilla
  • Haha 3

Hyperionxvii
7 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

Actual conversation between my brain and I 

*almost asleep and hear a whisper*

Brain: hey bro I didn't wanna bother you while you were asleep

Me: k sup? 

Brain: can I ask you a question?

Me : didn't you just ask one? What is it, dude?

Brain :... So why do flamingos have those weird knees? And do penguins even have knees? 

We don't get along

Did yall share a room with an annoying little brother when you were a kid? Yea, I didn't, either, I WAS the annoying little brother. Now I get it. 

Your brain just wants you to get up for a couple hours, like we did during the 200,000 years before the industrial revolution. 

• Like 1

HandsomeGorilla
5 minutes ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Your brain just wants you to get up for a couple hours, like we did during the 200,000 years before the industrial revolution. 

Lots of great minds preferred biphasic sleeping and I don't mind it a bit. In fact, I normally go to the gym around 4 in the morning, get home around 5, then sometimes doze off until 7 to be to work at 8. I've been biphasic at several points in my life, maybe it's time to start again. 

• Like 1

Hyperionxvii
1 minute ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

Lots of great minds preferred biphasic sleeping and I don't mind it a bit. In fact, I normally go to the gym around 4 in the morning, get home around 5, then sometimes doze off until 7 to be to work at 8. I've been biphasic at several points in my life, maybe it's time to start again. 

It's like a miracle for me. 

Nuclear Wessel
1 hour ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

Except when your brain decides to scream HEY YOU PROBABLY LEFT YOUR CAR DOOR SLIGHTLY AJAR AGAIN DUMMY LOL

Or "HEY REMEMBER THAT STUPID THING YOU SAID TO THIS PERSON THREE YEARS AGO? YEAH THEY REMEMBER, TOO"

• Like 1

Trelane

C-Span, has worked wonders for decades.