Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Animal on Bed

sanchez710

Last night I was asleep when I was woken by what felt like a small animal jumping onto the bottom of the bed near my feet. It then felt like it walked a few steps up my body and stopped. By then I was fully awake but nothing was there. I used to have a cat when I was a boy (I'm in my 50s now) and this felt very similar to what my cat would do sometimes in the night before it lay down and went to sleep. My take on it is that I was in that light sleep mode just before you wake up when you see things and feel things that aren't there. Hypnagogic state I think I've heard it called on this forum before? Anyway, I don't have any pets, I live with my wife and two young children but it wasn't any of them as I was sleeping alone in the downstairs spare bedroom. I usually do this so I don't disturb them when I go to work early. I suffer from mild sleep apnoea which causes weird dreams so I suspect the animal on the bed was caused by this. It felt very real though and was an interesting experience. I've read similar stories on here regarding animals being on a bed that aren't there so I would appreciate any one else sharing similar experiences. Thanks for reading. 

• Like 1

Hi @sanchez710, I not uncommonly experience hypnopompic and hypnagogic hallucinations, and it is definitely an interesting feeling.

Last Friday night I was staying with my partner in a relatively off-grid house on an island. There had been a huntsman spider on the wall outside earlier in the evening which she had been trying to take macro photos of.

I’m usually a light sleeper, and my partner was tossing and turning later that night, so I was in a very light sleep. Anyways, I felt 100% awake while laying on my back as a huntsman started descending from the roof towards my face on a web. I woke us both up properly as I actually went to swipe it away with my hand. Took a few seconds to realise what happened.

The time before that when we stayed at the same place, the bedroom door was open while we were sleeping (only the two of us there), and I woke us up because I thought there was a small possum/creature which had got in and was scurrying around on the wood floor. I actually had to turn the light on to check it didn’t really happen. 

Another notable mention was in my own bedroom, waking up in a dream in my room to a black hand/arm coming through the ceiling reaching towards me. Then I woke up properly and it took me a few seconds to work out that I was properly awake.

I don’t think I’ve ever experienced proper sleep paralysis, but I do lucid dream a lot and most nights have vivid dreams. I have kind of always been a light sleeper, which is why I think I experience these hallucinations more frequently than others might. 

I do enjoy them, and can usually tell when I’m dreaming because I can recognise subtle differences in the dreams which don’t make sense. Eg. Something not oriented correctly, someone doing something which they wouldn’t do, something not possible. Basically reality checks. 

But sometimes it takes waking up fully to realise what had just happened and that it was a dream.

I also have a method which works for me when I want to wake up from dreams, usually if something menacing is about to happen and I’m unable to control it. Or if I want to wake up to then fall asleep into the same dream again so that I act out the dream differently from an earlier point.

Anyways, hope this is of some interest to you!

Edited by Timothy
Typo.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Timothy said:

Hi @sanchez710, I not uncommonly experience hypnopompic and hypnagogic hallucinations, and it is definitely an interesting feeling.

Last Friday night I was staying with my partner in a relatively off-grid house on an island. There had been a huntsman spider on the wall outside earlier in the evening which she had been trying to take macro photos of.

I’m usually a light sleeper, and my partner was tossing and turning later that night, so I was in a very light sleep. Anyways, I felt 100% awake while laying on my back as a huntsman started descending from the roof towards my face on a web. I woke us both up properly as I actually went to swipe it away with my hand. Took a few seconds to realise what happened.

The time before that when we stayed at the same place, the bedroom door was open while we were sleeping (only the two of us there), and I woke us up because I thought there was a small possum/creature which had got in and was scurrying around on the wood floor. I actually had to turn the light on to check it didn’t really happen. 

Another notable mention was in my own bedroom, waking up in a dream in my room to a black hand/arm coming through the ceiling reaching towards me. Then I woke up properly and it took me a few seconds to work out that I was properly awake.

I don’t think I’ve ever experienced proper sleep paralysis, but I do lucid dream a lot and most nights have vivid dreams. I have kind of always been a light sleeper, which is why I think I experience these hallucinations more frequently than others might. 

I do enjoy them, and can usually tell when I’m dreaming because I can recognise subtle differences in the dreams which don’t make sense. Eg. Something not oriented correctly, someone doing something which they wouldn’t do, something not possible. Basically reality checks. 

But sometimes it takes waking up fully to realise what had just happened and that it was a dream.

I also have a method which works for me when I want to wake up from dreams, usually if something menacing is about to happen and I’m unable to control it. Or if I want to wake up to then fall asleep into the same dream again so that I act out the dream differently from an earlier point.

Anyways, hope this is of some interest to you!

Thanks for sharing those experiences, very interesting. I've had a few similar ones to that too. 

@sanchez710     I also believe that domesticated animals that have felt close to humans have an astral plane afterlife and can come visit the living and their old living environment.  In their most intense moments, I believe they can partially materialize and even be felt. Just giving a possibility to consider in your case.

And in that state between sleep and awake humans are more perceptive to these things as the attentional shifts from the astral to the physical allowing normal memory retention.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

As we know Hypnagogic are proven conditions unlike make believe like otherworldly creatures hopping in bed with us.

Ive had countless sleep experences that i fully understand why some would like to subscribe them to paranormal causes, ive never had the feel of an animal hopping up the foot of the bed but something i have noticed that pretty much all the cases of this the people experiencing it did have a pet that did do it.

I wonder if that is embedded in our minds then when things are just right the brain plays it back like a real event taking place when its just a memory of how something felt, yeah i know not as cool as a ghost pet.

A couple weeks back i jolted awake nearly in a panic terror i was sure i was going to be spitting teeth, i didnt know if i ground my teeth really hard or bit my piercing but it was the feeling of biting down hard on a mouth full of gravel, very loud.

tina asked what was wrong i came to enough to explain, she had been awake and heard nothing, she would have heard it even if a crack a knuckle she hears it.

I didnt have any broken teeth, i had dreamed it but it was very real feeling and very scary,

I also hear things during that sleep state that sounds like its in the room but neither tina nor the pets hear it,  it seems mine get worse if im not feeling so good around that time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, the13bats said:

As we know Hypnagogic are proven conditions unlike make believe like otherworldly creatures hopping in bed with us.

Ive had countless sleep experences that i fully understand why some would like to subscribe them to paranormal causes, ive never had the feel of an animal hopping up the foot of the bed but something i have noticed that pretty much all the cases of this the people experiencing it did have a pet that did do it.

I wonder if that is embedded in our minds then when things are just right the brain plays it back like a real event taking place when its just a memory of how something felt, yeah i know not as cool as a ghost pet.

A couple weeks back i jolted awake nearly in a panic terror i was sure i was going to be spitting teeth, i didnt know if i ground my teeth really hard or bit my piercing but it was the feeling of biting down hard on a mouth full of gravel, very loud.

tina asked what was wrong i came to enough to explain, she had been awake and heard nothing, she would have heard it even if a crack a knuckle she hears it.

I didnt have any broken teeth, i had dreamed it but it was very real feeling and very scary,

I also hear things during that sleep state that sounds like its in the room but neither tina nor the pets hear it,  it seems mine get worse if im not feeling so good around that time.

Thanks for sharing your experience, 13Bats, that's very interesting about the majority of people who have experienced things similar to this have all had pets. I don't believe mine was a ghost pet either, a hypnogogic reaction to a past memory sounds very plausible. Your theory made me think of another experience I had when in a light sleep state. I woke in a panic choking and couldn't breathe in properly, I jumped out of bed still unable to breathe properly but as soon as my wife put her hand on my back and asked if I was alright it stopped immediately and I could breathe again like nothing had happened. This in itself is weird but... Last year I choked on a piece of cheese baguette as it had lodged in my windpipe when someone made me laugh when I was eating. Thankfully someone was able to perform the heimlich manoeuvre on me and saved my life as apparently I was turning blue and about to pass out. The feeling of not being able to breathe in and the sound I was making were the same as my hypnogogic dream. So it is possible my brain replayed the event for whatever reason, post traumatic or whatever. Thanks again. Sanchez

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used to have a big tabby cat that weighed close to 20 lbs. She liked to jump up on my bed at night and she'd wake me because she was so heavy. One right I was trying to push her off the bed with my feet because she kept moving around and shaking the bed. Then I realized it wasn't her, it was an earthquake, lol. My other cat liked to get on my desk and try to walk on my keyboard, while I was working, for some reason. I love cats, but do not own any at this time and no ghost cats have visited me, yet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sanchez710 said:

Thanks for sharing your experience, 13Bats, that's very interesting about the majority of people who have experienced things similar to this have all had pets. I don't believe mine was a ghost pet either, a hypnogogic reaction to a past memory sounds very plausible. Your theory made me think of another experience I had when in a light sleep state. I woke in a panic choking and couldn't breathe in properly, I jumped out of bed still unable to breathe properly but as soon as my wife put her hand on my back and asked if I was alright it stopped immediately and I could breathe again like nothing had happened. This in itself is weird but... Last year I choked on a piece of cheese baguette as it had lodged in my windpipe when someone made me laugh when I was eating. Thankfully someone was able to perform the heimlich manoeuvre on me and saved my life as apparently I was turning blue and about to pass out. The feeling of not being able to breathe in and the sound I was making were the same as my hypnogogic dream. So it is possible my brain replayed the event for whatever reason, post traumatic or whatever. Thanks again. Sanchez

In my case ive had a lifetime of mental issues of the ptsd, drdp panic nerves type stuff, i have also had a lot of sleep issues,

I do very much understand why some people might jump to demons, ghosts , alien abductions etc, however even with my issues i am not one to jump to any conclusion from "unknown" my sleep issues got me interested in work by people like dr susan blackmore and the late dr Michael persinger.

They looked for answers to things like alien abductions being a product of the experiencers mind which i agree with, and no i havent had anything that wild happen but you did hit a nerve with your choking experence, which had to be unimaginably tramatic for you.

I have in the last 4 to 5 years been woke up in a start, i feel basically like im suffocating its horrifying and i am all groggy still half asleep drifting trying not to panic and reminding myself i am breathing, for me its mental not physical and doesnt go away until i either fall back asleep or wake up more fully, if i come too i am "hung over" from it nerves wise for hours.

I also get optical migrains, its like i see the filiment in a light bulb or heater, zig zag bright lines, goes away in about 30 mins but always runs a course, i have slightly work up to believe im having an optical when im only dreaming it but until i come to its as real as an actual one to me.

What i have discovered is i have levels so to speak of being between deep sleep and near awake but my mind sometimes is very wrong gauging where i really am, i believe some people have expereces and totally believe they were awake when in reality they were far more asleep than they thought.

Im both thankfull and a bit perplexed i dont have odder issues like experences of alien abduction, before aliens people thought is was demons, succubus, faries etc, you know it fit the times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/5/2021 at 2:05 AM, sanchez710 said:

Last night I was asleep when I was woken by what felt like a small animal jumping onto the bottom of the bed near my feet. It then felt like it walked a few steps up my body and stopped. By then I was fully awake but nothing was there. I used to have a cat when I was a boy (I'm in my 50s now) and this felt very similar to what my cat would do sometimes in the night before it lay down and went to sleep. My take on it is that I was in that light sleep mode just before you wake up when you see things and feel things that aren't there. Hypnagogic state I think I've heard it called on this forum before? Anyway, I don't have any pets, I live with my wife and two young children but it wasn't any of them as I was sleeping alone in the downstairs spare bedroom. I usually do this so I don't disturb them when I go to work early. I suffer from mild sleep apnoea which causes weird dreams so I suspect the animal on the bed was caused by this. It felt very real though and was an interesting experience. I've read similar stories on here regarding animals being on a bed that aren't there so I would appreciate any one else sharing similar experiences. Thanks for reading. 

You were probably in one of those sleep states, like I find myself in sometimes when I experience things like very loud noises and I think I'm awake, but was not actually awake. For me, it typically is really loud noises, or sometimes I think I'm actually awake, but cannot move. I hate that, but it happens. Sometimes can be quite alarming and I feel relief when I realize I was actually asleep. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hyperionxvii said:

You were probably in one of those sleep states, like I find myself in sometimes when I experience things like very loud noises and I think I'm awake, but was not actually awake. For me, it typically is really loud noises, or sometimes I think I'm actually awake, but cannot move. I hate that, but it happens. Sometimes can be quite alarming and I feel relief when I realize I was actually asleep. 

Do you have just random loud sounds or things like a person yelling, bells. Knocks, known sources that are still only dreams.

I have that a lot, and sometimes will in a more asleep stupor ask tina, what? And she says she didnt say a word or heard anything.

5 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Do you have just random loud sounds or things like a person yelling, bells. Knocks, known sources that are still only dreams.

I have that a lot, and sometimes will in a more asleep stupor ask tina, what? And she says she didnt say a word or heard anything.

Just really loud sounds, like something very heavy being dropped on the floor or a door slamming really hard. And sometimes I think 'what was that? I have to get up and see what that was!', and then I can't move to get up. I typically wake up quickly then and realize it was just a dream. 

Edited by Hyperionxvii
  • Thanks 1