Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Loeb: ET hates grass and thinks we're stupid

UM-Bot

I don't give much for his thoughts. It is quite uncertain whether life can exist on planets around red dwarfs since planets in the habitable zone are tidally locked and exposed to heavy flares.

• Like 2

Alright then...
1)Typical, cliche idea that "Humans are the Space Barbarians" when, as far as we know, other species probably aren't better or worse than us.
2)To me that idea with "unattractive grass" doesn't make any sense. And there are things on Earth that have infra red coloration.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I think the author of this article is lacking intelligence also - what a load of rubbish, they don't like the colour of grass here?? what???? why did I even click on tihs article...sigh

• Like 3

On Earth, people sometimes even travel to see fall colors, where leaves are red, and similar colors, instead of the usual green. I'd like to see a world with different-colored foliage. Why couldn't extraterrestrials?

Extraterrestrials could  presumably understand that we have the appropriate amount and kinds of intelligence for our stage of development, as a species probably still in its childhood, in comparison to some others in our galaxy.  Do we refuse to study, or interact with other forms of life on this planet, because we think them less intelligent than ourselves?

Red dwarf stars are sometimes underrated. Sure, many of them flare, but some don't. Since most stars in our galaxy are red dwarfs, that could still leave a great many suitable habitats. 

As for tidally locked planets, there's some thought now that thick atmospheres, and/or  large oceans could substantially moderate the temperature extremes that might otherwise exist. Yes, the best areas would still be around the dividing line between light and dark sides of a planet.  So be it. We have less than ideal conditions around the poles of this planet, and in large desert areas. We still manage. 

Edited by bison
improved spelling
  • Like 4

On 2/7/2021 at 6:37 AM, UM-Bot said:

Astronomer Avi Loeb has spoken out on why he thinks intelligent aliens may not be visiting the Earth.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/343717/loeb-et-hates-grass-and-thinks-were-stupid

Man, Loeb is an idiot.  The color of some grass would stop aliens from coming here?     That's not a smart idea to share. 

We are not interesting enough for aliens to visit.   That is also dumb.  It's possible that humans are in the top 1% of all creatures in the universe when it comes to intelligence.   

• Like 3

I find this an unfortunate commentary from Dr. Loeb. It really tells more of his personal beliefs about humanity and the Earth than an objective proposal covering alien life. The passive virtue signaling some have been engaging in lately is pretty sad.

Edited by Trelane
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Myles said:

We are not interesting enough for aliens to visit.   That is also dumb.  It's possible that humans are in the top 1% of all creatures in the universe when it comes to intelligence.   

That just seems this self-hating philosophy that sometimes comes up when people talk about why extraterrestrials haven't talked to us yet, because humanity is the barbarians/orcs of the galaxy and all the other species are beautiful, wise, Space-Galadriels who only know love and empathy and don't have any wars in their history and never even thought about harming the environment of other planets. So that's why they don't talk to us, because we're trash.
It's the same nonsense as viewing every potential extraterrestrial civilization as a horde of monsters who will come to enslave and eat us, just the polar opposite.

Which is of course nonsense, I still say, considering all the things that were necessary to develop sapience and start a civilization, I say if there are other civilizations they will have histories and bad aspects that are very similar to our own.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

That just seems this self-hating philosophy that sometimes comes up when people talk about why extraterrestrials haven't talked to us yet, because humanity is the barbarians/orcs of the galaxy and all the other species are beautiful, wise, Space-Galadriels who only know love and empathy and don't have any wars in their history and never even thought about harming the environment of other planets. So that's why they don't talk to us, because we're trash.
It's the same nonsense as viewing every potential extraterrestrial civilization as a horde of monsters who will come to enslave and eat us, just the polar opposite.

Which is of course nonsense, I still say, considering all the things that were necessary to develop sapience and start a civilization, I say if there are other civilizations they will have histories and bad aspects that are very similar to our own.

Maybe worse.  

To me, the authors ramblings are insignificant because I don't think we've ever been visited by aliens and it's likely we never will be.  

On 2/7/2021 at 12:37 PM, UM-Bot said:

Astronomer Avi Loeb has spoken out on why he thinks intelligent aliens may not be visiting the Earth.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/343717/loeb-et-hates-grass-and-thinks-were-stupid

Following Loeb's reasoning, it's not us who are stupid, but it's the aliens.

However, I think it was Loeb himself who had a mental meltdown.

• Like 3

"Oumuamua was built by extraterrestrials"

Sure. When you're a species zipping around the galaxy faster than light, the first thing you're going to do is make space rocks, out of... rocks. I mean when you're not busy visiting earth and making pyramids out of... stones. 

"the grass will not be green on those planets it will be dark red."

Well, there you go, that's why Egypt got the alien built pyramids, there's only sand there, no grass. 

• Haha 3

Now there's a kook in the making. Looking to fill the hole left by Friedman perhaps?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...