Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sandwich Fillers

littlebrowndragon

As I remarked in another food related topic, I do not like cooking.  Most of my meals are sandwiches.  One of my favourites is ham with coleslaw (or red cabbage), sliced pickled gherkins and lettuce.  Having said I don't like cooking, coming up with new sandwich fillings makes the job a little more interesting.  For example, using red cabbage instead of coleslaw was a recent innovation. 

So, what are your favourite sandwich fillers? 

Do you have any unusual food combinations in  sandwiches that I could try?  

• Like 3

Honey roast ham, cheese n onion crisps and herb & garlic mayo on wholemeal seeded bread.

• Like 2

When I am at work I eat sandwiches and my preferences are for smoked salmon with cheese spread and cucumber; BLTs, fish fingers with ketchup, pilchards/sardines with tomato and tabasco sauce, or tuna and mayonnaise.

When I was very young, we used to eat brown sugar sandwiches :o     I also once came up with marmalade and Branston pickle.   Which I must try again some day!   

2 hours ago, rashore said:

Oh I’m not up to that much typing right now. Here’s a list of over 100 options.... https://www.eatsamazing.co.uk/bento-lunches/healthy-lunch-box-food-ideas/ultimate-list-sandwich-fillings

Thanks.  Avocado and humous sound like interesting fillings...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Essan said:

When I was very young, we used to eat brown sugar sandwiches :o     I also once came up with marmalade and Branston pickle.   Which I must try again some day!   

A friend of mine used to take marmalade with his breakfast bacon.  I had given consideration to trying marmalade with ham.  Marmalade and Branston pickle - will give it a try.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, too many good sandwiches out there to type them all, that was a handy list while I was being lazy on the tablet earlier this morning.

For me a "new" thing to try out is Kewpee mayo- it's mayo from Japan, I just got some recently for the first time. For egg sandwiches specifically, but I'll also use it in other cooking applications. 

• Like 1

Sauerkraut, Kimchi, avocado, 'specialty' bacon or cured ham, prosciutto. And eggs, of course. They also make tons of interesting varieties of mayo, now. For me, when it comes to a sandwich, it's either a Cuban or a Reuben. If I want a few less calories but still an awesome filling meal, can't beat a couple good quality whole fried eggs between a couple pieces of sourdough. Add a little bacon fat to the eggs and maybe a couple strips on top. 

Edited by HandsomeGorilla
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Peanut Butter and Mayonnaise. My grandpa actually likes them together. 

• Sad 2

I do the basic turkey, swiss, and mayo. If I am feeling fancy I slice up a hard boiled egg and add it 

• Like 1

On fresh white bread, sliced Gouda cheese topped with strawberry jam or also on fresh white bread, spreadable plain liverwurst topped with mayo :tu:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Scholar4Truth said:

Peanut Butter and Mayonnaise. My grandpa actually likes them together. 

One of my male cousins used to eat peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches.  Sheesh...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another favourite sandwich filler is sliced apple.  I often use sliced apple with ham or frankfurters (cold frankfurters - no need to heat them up).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, thedutchiedutch said:

On fresh white bread, sliced Gouda cheese topped with strawberry jam or also on fresh white bread, spreadable plain liverwurst topped with mayo :tu:

A favourite of mine used to be marmalade with cheese, usually cheddar.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/26/2021 at 5:43 AM, littlebrowndragon said:

A favourite of mine used to be marmalade with cheese, usually cheddar.

Strawberry Jam is good too.

Some favourites I can make at home easily:

- Egg (mashed with mayo) and baby spinach leaves;

- Chicken and avocado;

- Smoked salmon, tomato (Roma), feta cheese and spinach leaves.

If toasted sandwiches are allowed:

- Fried egg, two slices of bacon, slice of cheese, barbecue sauce and some garlic.

An old favourite from a sandwich shop years ago:

- Ham, chutney, tomato, asparagus and cheese.

32 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Peanut butter and bacon. 

It sounds silly but I'm sure it's delicious

14 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

It sounds silly but I'm sure it's delicious

It's the salty sweet that makes it good, at least me. I have to be in a mood for it though. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Peanut butter and bacon. 

Anything is good when Bacon is added. Just as water is the universal solvent. You cannot go wrong.