Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Aussie man tells of Yowie encounters

Eldorado

A father who had his first yowie encounter when he was just eight years old said his sceptical son turned into a believer after one of the creatures tried to 'kill him'.

Lionell Carroll claims he came face to face with an ape-like monster as a child while at his grandfather's house in Tully, in Far North Queensland. 

Mr Carroll said he didn't tell anyone about the incident as he didn't have proof, but years later had another harrowing encounter.

'A few years ago I was living on the outskirts of Mareeba and late at night I heard a sound, busted out the side door and saw this large creature shamble over my back fence, and the weirdest part was finding the torn remains of a large kangaroo leg in my yard,' he told The Courier Mail.

Full story at the UK Mail: Link

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Eldorado said:

A father who had his first yowie encounter when he was just eight years old said his sceptical son turned into a believer after one of the creatures tried to 'kill him'.

Lionell Carroll claims he came face to face with an ape-like monster as a child while at his grandfather's house in Tully, in Far North Queensland. 

Mr Carroll said he didn't tell anyone about the incident as he didn't have proof, but years later had another harrowing encounter.

'A few years ago I was living on the outskirts of Mareeba and late at night I heard a sound, busted out the side door and saw this large creature shamble over my back fence, and the weirdest part was finding the torn remains of a large kangaroo leg in my yard,' he told The Courier Mail.

Full story at the UK Mail: Link

That's a cute story. I'm sure it's very popular with the children.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I don't think there is enough spoken about the Yowie. It certainly does not get the acclaim that BigFoot and Yeti get yet, it is the biggest variety.

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

I don't think there is enough spoken about the Yowie. It certainly does not get the acclaim that BigFoot and Yeti get yet, it is the biggest variety.

Really?

Tully is Queensland. Temperate zone. Very hot.

On top of a the other reasons bigfoot doesn't exist this Yowie has those hurdles too.

A huge hairy creature living without any impact on the environment in an area of the country that reaches 40+ degrees Celsius? 

Yeah. Cool story bro. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Really?

Tully is Queensland. Temperate zone. Very hot.

On top of a the other reasons bigfoot doesn't exist this Yowie has those hurdles too.

A huge hairy creature living without any impact on the environment in an area of the country that reaches 40+ degrees Celsius? 

Yeah. Cool story bro. 

So we've had teenagers on morning shows playing practical jokes with yowie suits. There are reports yowie suits being used by rapists.

There was a sighting near Canungra Army base.

I wonder what is around Tully...

https://news.defence.gov.au/people/jungle-training-veteran-returns-tully

I'm forming a bit of a hypothesis. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Long time no speak Psyche 101. 

I'm not commenting on this guys report but I will say that yowies are smart, in hot weather they'll lay low in caves or deep in gullies with ferny overgrowths for shade and will come out at night to eat and explore.

Also does Tim the Yowie Man still exist? I know Rex Gilroy stopped due to age/illness, certain others I won't name are the main ones that still carry on, sadly a lot of them are frauds.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 3:35 PM, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Certainly correct about the lack of acclaim for the Yowie. There are so many reports going back to first settlement and so many describing similar looking creatures. I think the Yowie is a similar creature to the Bigfoot and Yeti but I wouldn't say its the biggest variety. I've seen Yowie reports of very hairy Yowies 5ft tall (maybe juveniles) and other 8 or 9ft tall but I think there is a variety of Sasquatch reported in excess of 12ft tall (mountain giants I think theyve been called). Also very interesting that indigenous populations in Australia, America and Himalaya regions all describe these creatures.

10 hours ago, Aus Yowie said:

Certainly correct about the lack of acclaim for the Yowie. There are so many reports going back to first settlement and so many describing similar looking creatures. I think the Yowie is a similar creature to the Bigfoot and Yeti but I wouldn't say its the biggest variety. I've seen Yowie reports of very hairy Yowies 5ft tall (maybe juveniles) and other 8 or 9ft tall but I think there is a variety of Sasquatch reported in excess of 12ft tall (mountain giants I think theyve been called). Also very interesting that indigenous populations in Australia, America and Himalaya regions all describe these creatures.

You may be right, I only have a select set of sightings that I reflect on but it seems that all the yowie sighting stories I read the beast was 7 feet tall or more. 
The 12' BigFoot I have not heard of before and in my recollections of sightings, the beast is 6' to 7'. But all of this is not very scientific. 

You can also include China for countries that see this type of beast. And, Sumatra is home to the shortest of the curious beasts, the Orang Pendek, or "short man".

Have we found evidence of the elusive orang pendek? | Richard Freeman | Science | The Guardian

There is far less to support yowie is a real creature like bigfoot of north America which there is almost nothing to support it aside from weak claims.

• Like 3

On 3/13/2021 at 1:28 PM, Aus Yowie said:

I think it is a global story because people have the same stories to tell children.  A wild man-like creature.   From deep in the woods.  Covered in hair.  Is smart.  All the boxes are checked.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Myles said:

I think it is a global story because people have the same stories to tell children.  A wild man-like creature.   From deep in the woods.  Covered in hair.  Is smart.  All the boxes are checked.  

Well, your logic may sound Ok, Myles, but clearly the beast(s) are seen in limited locations. Why not England or anywhere in the UK? 
Europe, for that matter, is rather under spoken. But think too, about how far back these claims go. In some locales, we're talking thousands of years.
Do you think that Paleo Indians made these stories up to tell children? Well, maybe. but I doubt it. And good to see you, Myles.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 1:29 PM, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Do you think that Paleo Indians made these stories up to tell children? Well, maybe. but I doubt it. And good to see you, Myles.

While not the sole purpose, many of the BF mythos variations in Native American folklore has elements that would certainly be used to scare children. Many of the tales in the PNW involve the creature stealing fish, women and notably with most is children. So it appears that it may have used as bit of a boogeyman tale of sorts. I am certainly no expert on NA folklore and I would defer to @Piney if the information I've read is correct, or way off base.

From the Tacoma, WA news;

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article219134245.html

• Like 4

On 3/15/2021 at 4:29 PM, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

We personified nature to make sure people treated the resources right and human nature to make them act right. 

Our protector of animals, the Miisiingk was also used to scare children straight though. 

3 hours ago, Trelane said:

I would defer to @Piney if the information I've read is correct, or way off base.

:tu:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 3/15/2021 at 4:29 PM, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Why not England or anywhere in the UK? 

They have their big cat sightings,

just because different people of the world tell stories of a large hairy man ape type creature far from makes it real.

No one has the evidence or proof to back up claims.

Edited by the13bats

4 hours ago, oldrover said:

There are quite a lot of stories of wild hairy men in the UK. Sadly. 

A Google search showed there were quite a few sightings in Europe.  

• Like 1

Thanks @oldrover and @myles, I had no idea!

What name do they give it?  Ahhh, I see they call it... "BigFoot" :yes: Well, anyway, they say it is 5 to 8 feet tall. 

Ok, dismissed!

11 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Thanks @oldrover and @myles, I had no idea!

What name do they give it?  Ahhh, I see they call it... "BigFoot" :yes: Well, anyway, they say it is 5 to 8 feet tall. 

Ok, dismissed!

'Yeti' is still more common over here. But perhaps as happened in the U,S  in the 60s or 70s 'Bigfoot' is taking over now. 

19 minutes ago, oldrover said:

'Yeti' is still more common over here. But perhaps as happened in the U,S  in the 60s or 70s 'Bigfoot' is taking over now. 

If one looks at sightings charts and if the charts are legit here in the states BF took this hugh spike when patterson released his hoax film it rode that wave for a few years and took another big spike when a couple decades back the pseudo reality shows hunting BF came out,

While true believers will say that reflects more people seeing BF i say it reflects people wanting to be one of the special lucky ones so a shadow in the woods becomes BF and its very real in the minds of some of those folks.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 6:29 AM, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Well, your logic may sound Ok, Myles, but clearly the beast(s) are seen in limited locations. Why not England or anywhere in the UK? 
Europe, for that matter, is rather under spoken. But think too, about how far back these claims go. In some locales, we're talking thousands of years.

In Europe he is known as Bigmeter.

That's probably why you haven't heard of European sightings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/16/2021 at 6:43 AM, Tia said:

Long time no speak Psyche 101. 

I'm not commenting on this guys report but I will say that yowies are smart, in hot weather they'll lay low in caves or deep in gullies with ferny overgrowths for shade and will come out at night to eat and explore.

Also does Tim the Yowie Man still exist? I know Rex Gilroy stopped due to age/illness, certain others I won't name are the main ones that still carry on, sadly a lot of them are frauds.

Fair

On 2/9/2021 at 6:07 PM, Golden Duck said:

So we've had teenagers on morning shows playing practical jokes with yowie suits. There are reports yowie suits being used by rapists.

The US and UK calls those Ghillie Suits.  It's a good call though, they are a good fit for some "sightings".

• Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 7:39 AM, Alchopwn said:

The US and UK calls those Ghillie Suits.  It's a good call though, they are a good fit for some "sightings".

Good to see you, Al. Do you suspect that all sightings are some kind of Man in a Monkey Suit?  I wonder then, what the paleo Indians saw centuries ago? :hmm:

When it comes to claims made by the white man about what indians did or didnt see and was it real or spiritual i leave thst up to piney on here.

As far as other possibilities, its believed early humans encountered Gigantopithecus and as far as modern sightings its not like we have more than a person here a person there claiming to see whatever, we have snimals thst can be unidentified, hunters and humans in gjillie suits, we hsbe natives and shamen and we have humans living off the grid some sane some not so much so,

If a mentally ill person was able to live out in the woods just how feral apoear22ing would they quickly become.

As far as evidence we have very little but we have very little to support the claims of bigfoot being a real creature.