Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Eerie sounds recorded of newly-formed ice

Still Waters

Alexey Kolganov films himself skating on transparent ice of lake Baikal, as new cracks form under his skates.

Irkutsk photographer shared a recording of his recent skating trip around Lake Baikal to help anyone planning to experience this wonder of the world in winter and get ready for the scary feeling of depth under transparent ice shell.

Most surprising is the unexpected, cosmic sound. 

‘The video shows cracks forming as I skate. Watch it to prevent phobias, with sound on, twice before bedtime a week before your planned trip to Baikal’- he jokingly wrote in the caption to the video. 

https://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/alien-like-chatter-of-worlds-deepest-lake-as-photographer-shares-eerie-sounds-of-newly-formed-ice/

• Like 7

Nope nope nope! 

This is my worst nightmare. Frickin deep water, frickin ice breaking under your feet and it doesn't help that I'm terrified of heights and looking down, it almost feels like it's high in the air. 

No. 

No, I said! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Watching the cracks form under his feet was tense. It was bold and daring, I hope he had a safety line.  More than that, I hope nobody without safety backup is goaded into daring a repeat.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Watching the cracks form under his feet was tense. It was bold and daring, I hope he had a safety line.  More than that, I hope nobody without safety backup is goaded into daring a repeat.

Nah in Russia you bring Vodka !

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

It was also stupid and irresponsible.  

27 minutes ago, Myles said:

It was also stupid and irresponsible.  

Yes, but don't forget, these are the same folks that invented their own more exciting version of roulette.

• Haha 2

Certainly is some beautifully clear water.

• Like 1

That ice looks to be about a foot thick (which can support a car), there's little danger of falling through- but I sure as hell wouldn't go out there when I can see the cracks forming like that.

When you think about how thick it is, even if it was completely cracked into chunks it would be relatively safe, the irregular chunks are floating interlocked and wouldn't be able to twist to allow you to fall through. I bet you could wail on that with a sledgehammer and have a tough time getting through.

Edited by moonman