Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mindfulness

Sherapy

I love mindfulness philosophy. One of my courses in college was mindfulness interventions in regards to therapy. But the class was also beneficial to my own mental.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

My view of mindfulness.

This video starts losing sound about 2 minutes in.

2 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I'll find a better one when I get off work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, spartan max2 said:

I love mindfulness philosophy. One of my courses in college was mindfulness interventions in regards to therapy. But the class was also beneficial to my own mental.

Can you share how it has been helpful to you mentally? What are your thoughts on the raising your consciousness aspect.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'll find a better one when I get off work.

Wonderful, it looks interesting based on what I watched so far. What does DE represent?

Edited by Sherapy

I would have to say my number one goal in life is to live stress free.  So, to me, mindfulness is whatever gets me to that point.  Mostly it involves my own perspective on life and how I choose to relate to other people.   

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Hi everyone, 

Eighty and I collaborated on a new thread idea that is mindful of us all.

This is about mindfulness and what it means to you. There are no right or wrongs, just sharing ideas. 

For me, Mindfulness a new movement that is not only finding its way into my day to day, but into my work environment too and it doesn’t matter what path one is on as it can be seen in many walks of life regardless, if one is spiritual, skeptical, or a believer. 

A big aspect of Mindfulness for me is meditation, which is also a significant component of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy along with grounding, laughter, a support system, breathing (to release calming endorphins) the idea is to be fully present/aware of the moment.

I offer 3 practices for this thread:

Approach others perspectives non judgmentally (meaning do not just label anyone’s contributions as good or bad with no context.)

Do not engage in or create drama (past behaviors do not matter in this thread) let’s try and see each other with fresh eyes and with any habitual reactions instead observe them as if it is a car driving by. Step back from reactive responses in favor of posting reflective considerate posts. 

Let’s use our voices to question, contribute, mull over, inspire, respectfully challenge, and give feedback pro or con, suggestions and quotes, videos and links to read are welcomed. All voices are valued and appreciated.

C55B1CDD-A326-4905-90BE-A7CFB2CB3E36.jpeg

Another approach is to always focus on the future.

Not what happened a decade ago, last week, or even a minute ago. What has happened has been and gone. It cannot be changed. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I've shared it before. So here's a link instead.

Do Easy

Interesting. This reminds me of the Tiding Up with Marie Kondo movement Netflix has a series on it. If you ever get a chance watch one episode.

My hubby and I hired someone to help guide us through this, yes, I got my husband to participate. Lol 

Part of the homework is to watch 1 episode of TU with Marie Kondo. 

The aspects that are analogous to your contribution is the order of tidying up one begins with clothes, then moves on to papers, objects then pictures. The idea is not to get rid of things but to decide what to keep the idea is to keep the things that spark joy and in the process become aware of the areas of our lives that need healing and being a team. I do think there is a mind, body, physical space component and as we become more in-tune one sees growth on all levels. 

Hubby and I had a lot of fun going on this journey and it gave us an opportunity to take our connection deeper. Have you applied DE to your daily living? If so what are the stand outs for you?

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, joc said:

I would have to say my number one goal in life is to live stress free.  So, to me, mindfulness is whatever gets me to that point.  Mostly it involves my own perspective on life and how I choose to relate to other people.   

What is your perspective on life and what specifically do you do to relate to others that gets you there?

9 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Another approach is to always focus on the future.

Not what happened a decade ago, last week, or even a minute ago. What has happened has been and gone. It cannot be changed. 

I have not heard of only focusing on the future, the mindfulness I practice is focusing on the now, the present. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Can you share how it has been helpful to you mentally? What are your thoughts on the raising your consciousness aspect.  

I am not sure what you mean by "raising consciousness". It might just be a different way to say one of the aspects of mindfulness. But I'm familiar with grounding, detached non-judgmental awareness, meditation, deep breathing, general CBT, and the buddhist philopshical elements with it.

A couple of those things have been helpful for me. The first one being the detached non-judgmental awareness of our emotions. I see it as just letting the emotions flow through me naturally like water. Not trying to fight them.  This helps me to be kinder to myself and less stressed. Ironically fighting emotions to the point of trying to control them seems to make the problem worse for me. Just letting myself be sad when I'm sad and not attaching any judgment values to it has better results for me.

The second one is the part taken from buddhist philosophy of "all things are impermanent". That everything changes, always. It's something we all sort of know already but constantly fight or deny. For me just constantly accepting that the only constant of life is change I find helpful. Accepting that change will happen no state if permanent. I find it helpful when things are not going good but even useful to remind myself when things are going good. Everything is temporary.

Lastly just general meditation and grounding. I meditate every once in a while which is nice. And I have used grounding techniques if I am truly freaking out. 

Living in the present moment it a huge aspect of mindfulness but interestingly it's not actually one I tend to utilize. The other elements seem to be what works for me moreso.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I am not sure what you mean by "raising consciousness". It might just be a different way to say one of the aspects of mindfulness. But I'm familiar with grounding, detached non-judgmental awareness, meditation, deep breathing, general CBT, and the buddhist philopshical elements with it.

A couple of those things have been helpful for me. The first one being the detached non-judgmental awareness of our emotions. I see it as just letting the emotions flow through me naturally like water. Not trying to fight them.  This helps me to be kinder to myself and less stressed. Ironically fighting emotions to the point of trying to control them seems to make the problem worse for me. Just letting myself be sad when I'm sad and not attaching any judgment values to it has better results for me.

The second one is the part taken from buddhist philosophy of "all things are impermanent". That everything changes, always. It's something we all sort of know already but constantly fight or deny. For me just constantly accepting that the only constant of life is change I find helpful. Accepting that change will happen no state if permanent. I find it helpful when things are not going good but even useful to remind myself when things are going good. Everything is temporary.

Lastly just general meditation and grounding. I meditate every once in a while which is nice. And I have used grounding techniques if I am truly freaking out. 

Living in the present moment it a huge aspect of mindfulness but interestingly it's not actually one I tend to utilize. The other elements seem to be what works for me moreso.

Indeed, Great post by the way,  I am aware of these tools too. I am in stress management therapy or mindfulness therapy, Meditation is the big CBT tool. Early in my therapeutic journey, I didn’t formally meditate, but I had been practicing yoga for years and my mat was the place I did all my self care, self exploration, self awareness work, eventually I incorporated a formal practice of  meditation too. 

Do you chant or use Mala beads?

You got it, the higher consciousness is coming from a non judgmental perspective, this is the wisest part of ourselves, all growth and change begins with ourselves. I love this approach to emotions myself. I am big on honoring my emotional nature too, as you say even exploring it a few times does the best job experientially to show the fleeting nature of emotions and left to themselves they come and go. I still have times that are anxious but in some cases it is valid, so I just honor the process, let my emotions do their own thing. Sometimes it takes awhile, I focus on letting it be honoring the process, not attaching to a “certain” outcome. For ex: when my best friend killed herself I was in the stages of grieving for about a year and I honored my feelings not only for myself but in honor of her, then one day the grief disappeared and moved into acceptance.

An interesting aside, one of the interesting parts of the non judgmental perspective in a work environment is how this has helped not personalize feedback, but instead use it refine myself . For me, if I find myself standing in judgment of myself I self comfort and push through it, if I can’t it offers me an opportunity to explore deeper and nurture empathy or compassion or accepting my own humanness has been the biggest freeing aspect thus far, 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

My view of mindfulness.

I had watched this a while back but I don't remember what DE stands for.  The sound kept cutting out.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I had watched this a while back but I don't remember what DE stands for.  The sound kept cutting out.

See post #8

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

See post #8

Thanks.

12 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Dee, I was hoping you would pop in. I would love to hear your thoughts on Mindfulness in your life.

Edited by Sherapy

1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

This version seems technically OK:

The full text (The Discipline of DE) is in Burroughs's book, Exterminator, which you can borrow by the hour from archive.org if you wish, or wherever fine books are made available. The film narration is quite a bit shorter than the original.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, eight bits said:

This version seems technically OK:

The full text (The Discipline of DE) is in Burroughs's book, Exterminator, which you can borrow by the hour from archive.org if you wish, or wherever fine books are made available. The film narration is quite a bit shorter than the original.

Thank you Paul. I will check out this book.

7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I suppose I brought something of value to the thread.

And, thank you.:tu:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, eight bits said:

https://www.mrflamm.com/uploads/2/2/0/0/2200902/exterminator_-_burroughs.pdf

About page 27 is where it's found.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

Interesting. This reminds me of the Tiding Up with Marie Kondo movement Netflix has a series on it. If you ever get a chance watch one episode.

My hubby and I hired someone to help guide us through this, yes, I got my husband to participate. Lol 

Part of the homework is to watch 1 episode of TU with Marie Kondo. 

The aspects that are analogous to your contribution is the order of tidying up one begins with clothes, then moves on to papers, objects then pictures. The idea is not to get rid of things but to decide what to keep the idea is to keep the things that spark joy and in the process become aware of the areas of our lives that need healing and being a team. I do think there is a mind, body, physical space component and as we become more in-tune one sees growth on all levels. 

Hubby and I had a lot of fun going on this journey and it gave us an opportunity to take our connection deeper. Have you applied DE to your daily living? If so what are the stand outs for you?

DE means doing things in the easiest, simplest, fastest and most effective manner possible which is correct. Considering I'm a machinist that's important.  

• Like 5