Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mindfulness

Sherapy

8 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The actions we take make us who we are. Even it that means putting aside our pride or arrogance. 

None of us are one dimensional characters.

To me..that is what Mindfulness is...it is about knowing the why of our actions before we act and then choosing  the best path of action.  The easiest person to lie to and get away with it, is to our own self.  I have learned so much about me just by being honest with me about me.  

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

I am going to be mindful and not continue quoting or responding to him in this skeptics forum

jmccr8

That is probably a good idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, joc said:

To me..that is what Mindfulness is...it is about knowing the why of our actions before we act and then choosing  the best path of action.  The easiest person to lie to and get away with it, is to our own self.  I have learned so much about me just by being honest with me about me.  

Pretty much mindfulness in a nut shell. Even with DE (do easy) it's mindfulness in actions. I'd think that over time such things would become automatic.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Joc

No offence but if I saw a guy going into the ladies room I would tell him. You have me on ignore so I am not sure why you are quoting me given that I said I will not quote him again in this thread so lets put it to bed.:D:tu:

jmccr8

You are wrong my friend...I do not have you on ignore.  I have never had you on ignore...

And see...that is one of my Mindful ways...to Ignore!  When I ignore it is with the Ignore Button and it is usually when  people are extremely annoying to me with their words and attitudes.  So rather than  continuing an eye for eye word battle...I just put them on Ignore.  But I have no reason to Ignore you.  Nor would I.  You do not in any way annoy me! B)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, eight bits said:

Just a note on ego. It is a hard word to pin down.

Jung and Freud had a horrific falling out, and never reconciled. One effect of that discord was that Jung used "Freudian" language, but in different ways than Freud had. Ego was one of those terms. Freud's ideas have already been posted, For Jung, ego was whatever in the self was currently concscious. Just that, and with an emphasis on currently - ego could expand, contract, be overwhelmed, inflate ... a dynamic thing with little fixed about it, except being conscious.

So, there are at least two "technical" conceptions of the thing. I doubt either of them has much to do with why egotistical isn't a compliment, why teams of all kinds are advised to leave your egos in your lockers.

The range of things that come under ego in everyday language is vast: maybe any unsavory behavior at all where self-regard is a contributing factor, whether it's big things like greed or small things like talking about oneself a bit more than others are interested.

Meanwhile, positive things that come under the functions of ego in the technical sense don't seem to get called that in everyday language. It is ego that impels me to brush my teeth with some regularity, but nobody says it that way in real life.

Obviously, I wouldn't want to be rid of my technical-sense ego (either Jung's or Freud's sense) - my teeth would all fall out.

So, this ego that some would rather not have must be something else, and something in need of a defintiion before anybody could really judge whether they're better off without it. Meanwhile, I am in accord with @Desertrat56's appeal to balance as applied to self-regard. Balance is very Jungian (which is where my ego feels comfortable).

Excellent post. Well done. 

I did not know that Jung had a different approach to the ego, thank you for sharing.  I did know about the falling out with Jung. On balance and the ego, I tend to think of the ego as the great equalizer on many levels whether it is personally, physically, behaviorally, or emotionally or environmentally too. 

I think Jung compliments Freud where there is “id there is ego” and for me this applies to Jung and Freud too. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, joc said:

You are wrong my friend...I do not have you on ignore.  I have never had you on ignore...

And see...that is one of my Mindful ways...to Ignore!  When I ignore it is with the Ignore Button and it is usually when  people are extremely annoying to me with their words and attitudes.  So rather than  continuing an eye for eye word battle...I just put them on Ignore.  But I have no reason to Ignore you.  Nor would I.  You do not in any way annoy me! B)

Hi Joc

Okay we are good I have no argument with you and have always enjoyed your participation, Your name is the only one that shows up in red when I sign in on the members list.:huh::lol:

jmccr8

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, joc said:

Awww, I am so happy to hear this. Another good thing came of this thread a misunderstanding refined.

Thank you for you kind feedback on this thread, Joc. I want to share that in the composition of this thread I collaborated with Eighty and he used a mindful approach, meaning he presented a fact based overview based on all the posters and made suggestions that I then framed as guiding posts being mindful of us all so that we can all have quality airtime minimizing drama’s that tend to derail otherwise constructive unifying posts/ threads.

I appreciated his honesty and vision, but I want to include Jay and Hammer too they had threads they tried to forge unity too. Jay was instrumental in taking the first step. 

Little by little it looks like we are making baby steps towards maybe being a community that celebrates its diversity even when we see from different perspectives. 

Thanks to everyone who posts too. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Pretty much mindfulness in a nut shell. Even with DE (do easy) it's mindfulness in actions. I'd think that over time such things would become automatic.

I think DE is a great idea, most Eastern Philosophies stress keeping things simple, basic. I think one remembers it better if he/she take ideas down to the most comprehensive simplest form. I do not see a need for a lot of fluff, just get to the point is my motto.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, lightly said:

Howdy j ..   Lucky for you I've had a Lot of peaceful time out here in the desert...so I think I got it all, just about, figured out. :P

Yes...   There is one universal awareness...(not mind,as I'll explain)  ;).    It exists in the CENTER of each of our BEINGS... and is ALL Interconnected.   It is pure AWARENESS  (it doesn't need to do anything)..then, like in layers, next comes our consciousness which MERGES our awareness/being/spirit   (OUR INNER SPACE)   WITH  our MINDs, (which connects us to our bodys,and all of PHYSICALITY. ...(OUR OUTER SPACE).    Awareness exists Effortlessly, it just IS.   Thought (mind) takes effort and is therefore physical ... And to turn that thought into physical motion takes more effort/ more physical energy .     So, that's how it works.  ...anything else you need to understand bud?  I'm always here.  :lol:   (I hope)    Oop, and as for conflicting minds, that's just a people thing...the universal mind is above all that sort of thing.  Hehe.

Anyway,  as for mindfulness,  ya, I think so... I try to be  mindful  much of the time..  Just be aware of my existence and become calm as I do all my little camping chores...or as I walk about taking it IN. Or whatever.     But , I Also like to try for more or less of a state of Mind Less Ness...I like to let my mind get quiet, and become calmer..and settle into my Inner space, until thoughts fade to a gentle hum,or faint images, in the Outside space.  I can sort of hear it,or see it.. but not well enough to make it out ... .   .   . Inner Quiet.   

I call this being in the zone when it comes and I appreciate the vibe for the moments it lasts.. Blissed out contentment, peaceful times. Thank you for your post lightly Palm Springs is a good place to find your zone.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Your name is the only one that shows up in red when I sign in on the members list.

His name is also red/orange in the online user list on my phone. And is the only one. All the rest are blue.

Not sure why. :wacko:

• Like 2

Just now, onlookerofmayhem said:

His name is also red/orange in the online user list on my phone. And is the only one. All the rest are blue.

Not sure why. :wacko:

Hi Onlooker

I noticed that it says tournament organizer in red under his name so will assume that is why.:tu:

jmccr8

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Joc

Okay we are good I have no argument with you and have always enjoyed your participation, Your name is the only one that shows up in red when I sign in on the members list.:huh::lol:

jmccr8

that's because he's a guitar player! A weird breed= talks absolute crap, full of s++t, has no idea of what's going on around him.. Typical of musicians in general! Should be eradicated from this planet,,,, same as people over 60! Waste of resources IMO:yes:

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

same as people over 60! Waste of resources IMO:yes:

Hi Dejarma

Well then I guess I should get drunk and shoot myself in the morning the as I am over 60.:lol:

Joc is okay and yes each of us has different POVs we all agree and disagree about different things and even when I challenge people about some of their positions I do not have distain for the individual as everyone has good points to explore as well.:tu:

jmccr8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

that's because he's a guitar player! A weird breed= talks absolute crap, full of s++t, has no idea of what's going on around him.. Typical of musicians in general! Should be eradicated from this planet,,,, same as people over 60! Waste of resources IMO:yes:

Time out Dejarma, please read the standard we have suggested for this thread. Feedback is welcome but it has to have context and be constructive. 

Aren’t you a musician too? :P

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

Just thought about something in regards to mindfulness. The exact approach of it might vary based on theism, atheism, and agnosticism. Meaning what extra component is used. It may be that the motivation behind one mindfulness depends also on what they believe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Time out Dejarma, please read the standard we have suggested for this thread. Feedback is welcome but it has to have context and be constructive. 

Aren’t you a musician too? :P

yes, of course.. A serious thread. My apologies. 

Yes I am & over 60

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Just thought about something in regards to mindfulness. The exact approach of it might vary based on theism, atheism, and agnosticism. Meaning what extra component is used. It may be that the motivation behind one mindfulness depends also on what they believe.

This is a good point. I wonder if some aspects of mindfulness are easier or harder based on influences.

For ex: . I found meditation easy because I am incredibly comfortable with I do not know, I have done a reasonable job of embracing uncertainty except when I don’t. Yet, it was quite a struggle taking up chanting with Mala beads. I had to talk myself into it, it took 4 years. Sheesh. Lol 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

yes, of course.. A serious thread. My apologies. 

Yes I am & over 60

I did consider you could be joking cuz, I knew you were a musician and am pretty sure you are an old guy.:P

:D

Your thoughts on mindfulness, the ego, the id, Jung and Freud also accepted in your response.:P

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I call this being in the zone when it comes and I appreciate the vibe for the moments it lasts.. Blissed out contentment, peaceful times. Thank you for your post lightly Palm Springs is a good place to find your zone.

Thanks Sherapy.   Great topic and discussion.       ..but we're not in Palm Springs...we bounce around in hundreds and hundreds ..and hundreds, of square miles of S. Cal desert.....from near the Mexican border up to fairly near Palm Springs.  On State and Federal lands.

We camp for FREE ..(they call it 'Primitive camping')..but we know how to do it, so we  are perfectly comfortable and content for these past seven winters.  (even with the added periodic cancer treatments and scans and stuff for these past three) !  < that's a big part of why I like to practice quieting my mind....     . .  .    .        .               .   And this place takes my mind off that stuff too. :)     

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lightly said:

Thanks Sherapy.   Great topic and discussion.       ..but we're not in Palm Springs...we bounce around in hundreds and hundreds ..and hundreds, of square miles of S. Cal desert.....from near the Mexican border up to fairly near Palm Springs.  On State and Federal lands.

We camp for FREE ..(they call it 'Primitive camping')..but we know how to do it, so we  are perfectly comfortable and content for these past seven winters.  (even with the added periodic cancer treatments and scans and stuff for these past three) !  < that's a big part of why I like to practice quieting my mind....     . .  .    .        .               .   And this place takes my mind off that stuff too. :)     

Oh wow, I hope your health improves. What a great use for mindfulness. I have taken up chanting with Mala beads and I am doing okay with it, it really helps with high high anxiety experiences as you are dealing with. 

The camping sounds so fun. After Covid everything sounds fun to me, (now) so this is a new side of “me” I never thought I could muster up myself even imagining camping, now I actually want to go. :P:tu:

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

This is a good point. I wonder if some aspects of mindfulness are easier or harder based on influences.

For ex: . I found meditation easy because I am incredibly comfortable with I do not know, I have done a reasonable job of embracing uncertainty except when I don’t. Yet, it was quite a struggle taking up chanting with Mala beads. I had to talk myself into it, it took 4 years. Sheesh. Lol 

Guess that's why I find DE so useful. It's an active form of meditation. One that I can use almost constantly with pretty much everything I do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

a Google definition of mindfulness:

Mindfulness is the basic human ability to be fully present, aware of where we are and what we're doing, and not overly reactive or overwhelmed by what's going on around us.

Not sure if this makes sense or not==depends on what is going on around you & how you personally perceive it, doesn't it!?

edit: needed to high lite the part i'm referring to;)

Edited by Dejarma
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Guess that's why I find DE so useful. It's an active form of meditation. One that I can use almost constantly with pretty much everything I do.

Yeah, you can make a meditation out of anything. Are you taking it pretty serious? If so what have you observed in yourself?

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

Yeah, you can make a meditation out of anything. Are you taking it pretty serious? If so what have you observed in yourself?

Nothing to take serious really. Just self-awareness. Being as conscious of my actions as possible. I'm not a god at it, but from what I can do it keeps me focused. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

a Google definition of mindfulness:

Not sure if this makes sense or not==depends on what is going on around you & how you personally perceive it, doesn't it!?

I hope you don’t mind if I toss this definition on the discussion table too. I’d love your thoughts too.

“Research has defined mindfulness more formally as “the awareness that emerges through paying attention on purpose, in the present moment, and non-judgmentally to the unfolding of experience moment by moment” (Kabat-Zinn, 2003, p. 145). In other words, mindfulness involves directing attention to the experience in the present moment and a non-evaluative observation of that experience (Bishop et al., 2004). “Instead of being on automatic and mindless, mindfulness helps us awaken, and by reflecting on the mind we are enabled to make choices and thus change becomes possible” (Siegel, 2007, p. 5).

• Like 2