Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mindfulness

Sherapy

5 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Do you dream? If so start a dream journal and ask yourself for a dream to explore the roots of your anxiety, bring it to your conscious awareness and if you need help  I will show you how to analyze and glean insights. I have a hunch you will learn fast and probaby don’t need help figuring this out as self aware as you are. 

I wish we had a good quality dream thread, @eight bitsalso is fabulous at dream interpretation and has a strong foundation in Jung, 

I dream pretty regularly, but none of my dreams ever seem to make much sense.

When I was younger I dabbled a bit in the occult and had an occult-based dream book given to me. I would also consult dreammoods.com for some potential insight into what some of my dreams meant.

A dream thread would be pretty neat. I'm entirely supportive of this idea!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Hi Nuke

I seldom dream, it's eyeballs shut and black till they open but that could be because of the difference in our work as mine is physically demanding and some times I even have a pre- sleep nap before eating and after my shower depending on just how demanding it was and I am getting older and partying less, but then again it could be bored covid syndrome.

When I do have dreams though it is usually when I am deeply conflicted about something and resolve it although some do take more work than others.

jmccr8

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Nuke

I seldom dream, it's eyeballs shut and black till they open but that could be because of the difference in our work as mine is physically demanding and some times I even have a pre- sleep nap before eating and after my shower depending on just how demanding it was and I am getting older and partying less, but then again it could be bored covid syndrome.

When I do have dreams though it is usually when I am deeply conflicted about something and resolve it although some do take more work than others.

jmccr8

That's interesting. You resolve it in your dreams, or do they help provide you with insight that help you resolve it in your wakeful state?

My dreams are just... weird.

For example earlier while having a nap I was dreaming about space/galaxies, and some kind of weird particle called a "teslon".

My dreams usually involve space or science of some kind, oddly enough.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

That's interesting. You resolve it in your dreams, or do they help provide you with insight that help you resolve it in your wakeful state?

For example earlier while having a nap I was dreaming about space/galaxies, and some kind of weird particle called a "teslon".

Hi Nuke the theme of the dream gives me and insight/stance to take in my waking world the problem existed and was obstructing my focus on other things that have a monetary/liability/responsibility/profit in one way or another and pushed me off my fence to decide to take a stand and stand there with determination.

Space is an interesting place and to me is symbolic of self, no matter how far I travel in my mind it is infinite and without boundaries, I do not know it's ends just like the universe so would see it as a travelling through self, maybe searching but then that is how I would see it for me and each of us is unique.

jmccr8

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

earlier while having a nap I was dreaming about space/galaxies, and some kind of weird particle called a "teslon".

"The ultimatons [the as yet undiscovered basic particles of matter] slow down through many phases of physical activity before they attain the revolutionary-energy prerequisites to electronic organization. Ultimatons have three varieties of motion: mutual resistance to cosmic force, individual revolutions of antigravity potential, and the intraelectronic positions of the one hundred mutually interassociated ultimatons.

42:6.5

Mutual attraction holds one hundred ultimatons together in the constitution of the electron; and there are never more nor less than one hundred ultimatons in a typical electron. The loss of one or more ultimatons destroys typical electronic identity, thus bringing into existence one of the ten modified forms of the electron.

42:6.6

Ultimatons do not describe orbits or whirl about in circuits within the electrons, but they do spread or cluster in accordance with their axial revolutionary velocities, thus determining the differential electronic dimensions. This same ultimatonic velocity of axial revolution also determines the negative or positive reactions of the several types of electronic units. The entire segregation and grouping of electronic matter, together with the electric differentiation of negative and positive bodies of energy-matter, result from these various functions of the component ultimatonic interassociation.

Link

3 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

When I was younger I dabbled a bit in the occult and had an occult-based dream book given to me. I would also consult dreammoods.com for some potential insight into what some of my dreams meant.

A dream thread would be pretty neat. I'm entirely supportive of this idea!

There are couple of dream sections  on this site, but they aren't well patronised.

I use them occasionally to record some of my dreams. 

2 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Interesting.

Were you aware, even subconsciously, of this.

Zion (Hebrew:‎ Ṣîyōn, LXX Σιών, also variously transliterated Sion, Tzion, Tsion, Tsiyyon) is a placename in the Hebrew Bible used as a synonym for Jerusalem as well as for the Land of Israel as a whole (see Names of Jerusalem).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zion

It is also a family name from  my own family's  ancestral home.

You can see how Tesion families moved over time by selecting different census years. The Tesion family name was found in the USA, and Scotland between 1861 and 1920. The most Tesion families were found in the USA in 1920, and Scotland in 1861. In 1861 there was 1 Tesion family living in Lanarkshire. This was 100% of all the recorded Tesion's in Scotland. Lanarkshire had the highest population of Tesion families in 1861.

https://www.ancestry.com.au/name-origin?surname=tesion

On 2/8/2021 at 11:49 AM, spartan max2 said:

Ironically fighting emotions to the point of trying to control them seems to make the problem worse for me. Just letting myself be sad when I'm sad and not attaching any judgment values to it has better results for me.

I have found, as you did, that allowing emotions to be what they are, is a very deep way to be present in the Present.  I have and will continue to take this concept a step further.  I ask myself to deeply embrace the emotion (when it feels significant), literally surrounding it with consciousness, like it is an extraordinary meal of which I want to slowly savor every bite.  It is actually quite self-educational, and then after, makes it rather easy to release.  Providing a great deal of info to the concept of Know Thyself.

~Peg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Will Do said:

"The ultimatons [the as yet undiscovered basic particles of matter] slow down through many phases of physical activity before they attain the revolutionary-energy prerequisites to electronic organization. Ultimatons have three varieties of motion: mutual resistance to cosmic force, individual revolutions of antigravity potential, and the intraelectronic positions of the one hundred mutually interassociated ultimatons.

Mutual attraction holds one hundred ultimatons together in the constitution of the electron; and there are never more nor less than one hundred ultimatons in a typical electron. The loss of one or more ultimatons destroys typical electronic identity, thus bringing into existence one of the ten modified forms of the electron.

Ultimatons do not describe orbits or whirl about in circuits within the electrons, but they do spread or cluster in accordance with their axial revolutionary velocities, thus determining the differential electronic dimensions. This same ultimatonic velocity of axial revolution also determines the negative or positive reactions of the several types of electronic units. The entire segregation and grouping of electronic matter, together with the electric differentiation of negative and positive bodies of energy-matter, result from these various functions of the component ultimatonic interassociation.

Link

What the **** is this

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

On 2/8/2021 at 1:21 PM, XenoFish said:

DE means doing things in the easiest, simplest, fastest and most effective manner possible which is correct. Considering I'm a machinist that's important.  

This is a right minded concept and I use it consciously as much as possible.  Consider the efficacy of the atom, even this tiniest of particles still has empty space between its parts.  If we were to be mindful of a single hour of our waking lives, how much time is frivolously expended, we would recognize how great our real potential is were we to simply tighten up our presence in time.  Just as the series Tidy Up by applying her principles, freed more room in our drawers and closets.  This is also has great implications for those who seek minimalist living vs gauche (lacking mindfulness) consumerism.  I am reminded of the movie The Fly with Jeff Goldblum, in that as a scientist he did not want to expend any unnecessary 'thinking' on things not relevant to his work, thus his entire wardrobe was identical every day.   So this begs the question/thought of when and how do we allow for simplicity of laying on our backs in a meadow discerning animals in cloud formations.

~Peg

Edited by Peggy aka Moonchaser
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

It just sounds like you have to learn your dream language, I am not surprised you dream in science, young  Newton :wub:

The way you do this is after you wrote down your dream go through it but by bit and start asking your conscious self what does this mean to me. Over time you will find your own dream pattern, to me learning the unconscious is like learning the meaning of symbols.

For ex: for me a car or train in my dreams is symbolic of change, movement towards resolution. For me dreaming is therapeutic and fast tracks my growth by bringing forth the unconscious triggers and elements. I often dream of vehicles when I am on the precipice of change or resolving something deep seated.

Say you use a gestalt frame ( Google it) for dream analysis in this style everything is a projection of you from your emotions to the people in your dreams.

Questions: was the space or galaxy the back drop for your dream basically in what context did this apply. The interesting part is the weird particle called a “tesion” 

What does weird mean to you and what were the characteristics of the tesion? 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

If people here struggle to be mindful then there is a good solution. You need to start treating your life as a process where you are mindful all day long. A good process would be:

1. Stop what you are doing.

2. Put yourself into mindfulness.

3. Notice the distractions and thoughts bubbling up trying to suck you in, and resist them.

4. If you get sucked in, snap out of it as soon as you remember and return to step one.

I would pick a day to begin when you are off work, off education, and not doing anything socially. Like a weekend day during coronavirus. Try to do the above all day long. The more you do the process the quicker you will reach the state where thats your default state of being.

Cookie Monster,  thank you for your thoughts.

I am going to piggyback and expand on this a bit.  

“Understanding the elements of paying attention are important, there are two things to keep in mind there is the one which demands attention and the one that regulates attention.”

There are internal and eternal factors that can and do demand our attention, external factors can be loud noises, a hot chick passing by, etc etc. internal factors are feelings, or worrisome thoughts that distract us from mindfulness. For ex: say you are trying to keep your attention on the present moment and the thought of a troublesome exchange with a coworker draws your attention and you are going over what was said, what you should have said etc. and down the mentation rabbit hole you go. 

So number 1 is nurture the process called attention regulation which is a specific form of self control. You can do this in many ways. Specifically, grounding is one way I share this directly from stress management/ mindfulness therapy. MT teaches one to focus ones attention on the present moment using anchors. We don’t  always live in the moment many are focused on their thoughts or the content of their thoughts in the form of rumination, worry, the past, or future. The goal, of mindfulness is to accept actuality as it is and go from there. 

We can use anchors to cultivate this type of paying attention to the present and this thread has all kinds of examples of this from grounding, breathing, mantra’s or Mala beads, prayer, yoga asanas and sigils, sweeping, washing dishes etc. any of these is a way to practice bringing your attention back to the present, If you fall out and you will as soon as you are aware you just bring your attention back to the present, ( by using your anchor whatever works for you) in no time at all mindfulness becomes a habit. Mindfulness helps one see that thoughts are representations not reality, the idea is to free oneself from obsessive thinking and make contact with our direct experience as opposed to our mental story, one has to practice some type of mindfulness in order to relate to and guide others. Mindfulness speaks for itself experimentally and in sharing there are commonalities  that run through our experiences that have a ring of familiarity regardless of ones path. I find mindfulness is discovering what is there naturally. 

As one practices paying attention to the moment and it really is more about remembering to use ones anchors then anything else. A plus is the brains neural plasticity creates new neural pathways.

The pinnacle of mindfulness is an openness and non judgmental acceptance of actuality as it is. 

“Mindfulness is not intended to be a blissful experience. The goal of mindfulness practice is not to eliminate negative experiences or to think positively. It is important that participants understand that mindfulness practice may in fact intensify negative or unpleasant experiences. Mindfulness is about learning to recognize, allow, and be with all of our experiences, whether pleasant, unpleasant or neutral, so that we can begin to exercise choices and responsiveness in our lives” ( Mindfulness Training). 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Will Do said:

Link

Will thank you for your contribution, my question is how do you think googling cut and pasting a section from the UB can help NW explore the backdrop of his dream state to explore his unconscious? 

Just what I know of NW, he has an avid in interest in science, and a perspective that is open and curious, he will consider all kinds of ideas, he isn’t dogmatic or limited in self expression as expressed in the the vast vista of space in his dreams and the appearance of a weird particle called a tesion in and of itself reflects his current journey of self reflection and self awareness, to me this dream is analogous of the wonder of discovery, a new frontier —his unconscious which is at current is new territory for him. Just my two cents. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

It just sounds like you have to learn your dream language, I am not surprised you dream in science, young  Newton :wub:

Hahaha, I am far removed from the likes of Newton, Leibniz, etc. If only I had a fraction of their intellect. :nw:

I mean, seriously. The guy's like: "Huh, why did this happen? *Creates calculus to explain it*".

The way you do this is after you wrote down your dream go through it but by bit and start asking your conscious self what does this mean to me. Over time you will find your own dream pattern, to me learning the unconscious is like learning the meaning of symbols.

That's the thing: I find it difficult to attribute specific labels to something like "space". For example, one could interpret space in such a way that it reflects "infinite change"/"expansion"; another see space as simply a void, symbolic of a psychological void that one wishes to fill.

I think that's why I've always had difficulty "interpreting" dreams because depending on the context, a dream about space could have an entirely different meaning. It's like a non-constant variable, and given the dynamic nature of life I am not sure if the dream could be representative of, say, my desire to fill a void with something or if it's representative of my emotions related to a specific event (i.e. maybe it's my brain's unconscious interpretation of my feelings of ever-growing responsibilities at work).

For ex: for me a car or train in my dreams is symbolic of change, movement towards resolution. For me dreaming is therapeutic and fast tracks my growth by bringing forth the unconscious triggers and elements. I often dream of vehicles when I am on the precipice of change or resolving something deep seated.

How were you able to settle that "train" and "car" is definitely representative of change; movement towards a resolution? That's what I have an immense difficulty with.

Say you use a gestalt frame ( Google it) for dream analysis in this style everything is a projection of you from your emotions to the people in your dreams.

I will look into this, actually. Thank you! :)

Questions: was the space or galaxy the back drop for your dream basically in what context did this apply. The interesting part is the weird particle called a “tesion” 

It was both: I felt like I was both "within" space and observant of it, in the background (same for the galaxies). Like I was a part of a galaxy observing another galaxy. It was remarkable. I love dreams like that.

The interesting part is the weird particle called a “tesion” 

What does weird mean to you and what were the characteristics of the tesion? 

Weird to me is a remarkably vivid dream, one that I simply don't have an explanation for why I would have dreamt of such a thing.

Sometimes, for example, I will go to sleep with a bit of anxiety about work and then have a nightmare related to work, which is  easy enough for me to say "OK, I had that weird dream about work because I was anxious about it before I fell asleep."

Yet when I go to sleep and have dreams that seemingly spawn out of nowhere, I consider them "weird".

As for the characteristics of a "teslon" (TESS-LON), I can't remember specifically, but I do remember them having significance to physical matter that dwarfs the higgs boson, and I think that we actually figured out how to "create" them.

Basically we were able to generate matter by using a specific process to create the very foundation of it. Matter from seemingly nothing, basically.

At least that is the "feeling" I get when recounting the dream. :)

• Like 3

I was very mindful when Dad went to hospital. I was very mindful, the next two weeks, working eight hours a day, taking care of Mom and visiting Dad in the hospital, every day he was there. I very mindful the day he came home; very mindful that night, watching him die. I was very mindful of all the relatives who came by, that night. Very mindful of wondering where they'd all been while he was in hospital. I eschewed mindfulness that night and drunk myself to sleep. I was up and out, the next day, mindfully making funeral arrangements, buying flowers and a casket, engaging my preacher cousin to speak at the reception and funeral; contacting everyone I could, to break the news. I was very mindful at the burial, getting Mom there and back. Still, the most mindful moment was coming home from the first day back to work, coming down the hill and around the corner, acutely mindful of his empty chair on the porch. Sheri is very right that mindfulness is no mere exercise in self-indulgence, no frivolous philosophical pandering to exotic Eastern mysteries. Mindfulness is often facing reality head-on, with no blinders or rosy lenses to blunt the trauma of a sometimes precipitous fall. One becomes mindful of responsibility and of other's reliance on oneself. To be mindful is to endure.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Hahaha, I am far removed from the likes of Newton, Leibniz, etc. If only I had a fraction of their intellect. :nw:

I mean, seriously. The guy's like: "Huh, why did this happen? *Creates calculus to explain it*".

That's the thing: I find it difficult to attribute specific labels to something like "space". For example, one could interpret space in such a way that it reflects "infinite change"/"expansion"; another see space as simply a void, symbolic of a psychological void that one wishes to fill.

I think that's why I've always had difficulty "interpreting" dreams because depending on the context, a dream about space could have an entirely different meaning. It's like a non-constant variable, and given the dynamic nature of life I am not sure if the dream could be representative of, say, my desire to fill a void with something or if it's representative of my emotions related to a specific event (i.e. maybe it's my brain's unconscious interpretation of my feelings of ever-growing responsibilities at work).

How were you able to settle that "train" and "car" is definitely representative of change; movement towards a resolution? That's what I have an immense difficulty with.

I will look into this, actually. Thank you! :)

It was both: I felt like I was both "within" space and observant of it, in the background (same for the galaxies). Like I was a part of a galaxy observing another galaxy. It was remarkable. I love dreams like that.

Weird to me is a remarkably vivid dream, one that I simply don't have an explanation for why I would have dreamt of such a thing.

Sometimes, for example, I will go to sleep with a bit of anxiety about work and then have a nightmare related to work, which is  easy enough for me to say "OK, I had that weird dream about work because I was anxious about it before I fell asleep."

Yet when I go to sleep and have dreams that seemingly spawn out of nowhere, I consider them "weird".

As for the characteristics of a "teslon" (TESS-LON), I can't remember specifically, but I do remember them having significance to physical matter that dwarfs the higgs boson, and I think that we actually figured out how to "create" them.

Basically we were able to generate matter by using a specific process to create the very foundation of it. Matter from seemingly nothing, basically.

At least that is the "feeling" I get when recounting the dream. :)

Great point yes, depending on external and internal elements “space” could have more than one meaning, or the way I would look at your interpretations as the unresolved dichotomy literally you are faced with closing the void both emotionally and in your day to day. Just a nota bene, what I share is from my journey in psychoanalysis. There are more than one way to approach dreams. Our unconscious is as aspect of us part of the whole so in dream analysis one has to consider external and internal factors too. Dreams are a way to be more self aware and reflective by integrating all aspects of ourselves and they can be healing too. 

“It was both: I felt like I was both "within" space and observant of it, in the background (same for the galaxies). Like I was a part of a galaxy observing another galaxy. It was remarkable. I love dreams like this” ( NW). 

This is mindfulness in a nut shell, one finds the space where they observe they are not their thoughts, this is being in the present moment. The idea is to grow this space of awareness. Thinking is a wonderful thing but we are not our thoughts we are the awareness ( observer) behind them. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 5

Another one from the archives.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

to me this dream is analogous of the wonder of discovery, a new frontier —his unconscious which is at current is new territory for him. Just my two cents.

Your two cents is always much appreciated!

I very much love the wonder of discovery. I am a huge advocate for progress and resent hindrances to said progress, such as decisions made in favour of emotion/unfounded beliefs rather than the benefit of the greater good.

IMO my love of discovery and experimentation is why I became a software developer. I love being able to essentially create experiments at will, and breaking things to see what happens.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Peggy aka Moonchaser said:

This is a right minded concept and I use it consciously as much as possible.  Consider the efficacy of the atom, even this tiniest of particles still has empty space between its parts.  If we were to be mindful of a single hour of our waking lives, how much time is frivolously expended, we would recognize how great our real potential is were we to simply tighten up our presence in time.  Just as the series Tidy Up by applying her principles, freed more room in our drawers and closets.  This is also has great implications for those who seek minimalist living vs gauche (lacking mindfulness) consumerism.  I am reminded of the movie The Fly with Jeff Goldblum, in that as a scientist he did not want to expend any unnecessary 'thinking' on things not relevant to his work, thus his entire wardrobe was identical every day.   So this begs the question/thought of when and how do we allow for simplicity of laying on our backs in a meadow discerning animals in cloud formations.

~Peg

Another extraordinary example of mindfulness in a movie, in fact the absolute quintessence of mindfulness' movie, is Shawshank Redemption.  Can you think of others?  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Peggy aka Moonchaser said:

Another extraordinary example of mindfulness in a movie, in fact the absolute quintessence of mindfulness' movie, is Shawshank Redemption.  Can you think of others?  

Inception.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Your two cents is always much appreciated!

I very much love the wonder of discovery. I am a huge advocate for progress and resent hindrances to said progress, such as decisions made in favour of emotion/unfounded beliefs rather than the benefit of the greater good.

IMO my love of discovery and experimentation is why I became a software developer. I love being able to essentially create experiments at will, and breaking things to see what happens.

This is my impression of you too, and it is very fun watching you step into your authentic self. 
You have a lot of empathy and compassion too. 

• Like 2

On 2/20/2021 at 7:10 AM, Peggy aka Moonchaser said:

~Peg

Great post, Peg,

There is a really fun meditation on a Netflix series called Headspace. Basically, as part of the meditation one allows the mind a few moments of running free, just being itself while your observer self observes. 

I would love to hear your thoughts if you try it. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Sherapy said:

how do you think . . . the UB can help

I think the UB helps by providing facts that would otherwise be "undiscovered".

4 minutes ago, Will Do said:

I think the UB helps by providing facts that would otherwise be "undiscovered".

What "facts", exactly?

• Thanks 1

On 2/20/2021 at 8:44 AM, Will Do said:

Link

When it comes to proposed particle theories I think most people wont have heard of that one before.