Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mindfulness

Sherapy

Just now, Nuclear Wessel said:

What "facts", exactly?

Facts that are "as yet undiscovered".

9 minutes ago, Will Do said:

I think the UB helps by providing facts that would otherwise be "undiscovered".

The UB is fantasy, correct?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Give me an example.

The facts that are "as yet undiscovered" about what is "in the constitution of the electron".

Amongst several other things.

Edited by Will Do
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Will Do said:

The facts that are "as yet undiscovered" about what is "in the constitution of the electron".

What?

Amongst several other things.

Such as?

Your posts often confuse me. To me it appears that you like to make claims without having to actually support them with further explanation.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Will Do said:

Will, just an FYI “ fact” has a specific meaning in science. 

I am going on a hunch here that Science isn’t your strong suit. None the less you are addressing the right poster our very own NW can help teach and guide you. . But, let’s keep in mind that this thread is about mindfulness. Any thoughts on this?

Edited by Sherapy
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I know for a fact there are things I know for a fact for which there are no facts for.:yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

None the less you are addressing the right poster our very own NW can help teach and guide you. 

Not I. :no: I feel that would not be my place.

IMO one can only learn if they are willing to learn. Based on what I have seen with the quoted poster, there's no evidence of a desire to learn beyond what is provided in that "book".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Nuclear Wessel said:

IMO one can only learn if they are willing to learn. Based on what I have seen with the quoted poster, there's no evidence of a desire to learn beyond what is provided in that "book".

Indeed, you are correct to refine me in this regard one cannot learn what they are not open to.

Moving on. 

Any dreams to report? 

3 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Dogmatically entrenched?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Indeed, you are correct to refine me in this regard one cannot learn what they are not open to.

Moving on. 

Any dreams to report? 

Strangely enough, not that I can recall! Sometimes I sleep and dream of nothing at all, other times... I have extremely vivid dreams.

Really I either dream extremely vividly, or I don't seem to dream at all. Or maybe I do and I just forget about it as soon as I wake up.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I know for a fact there are things I know for a fact for which there are no facts for.:yes:

1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

Dogmatically entrenched?

This is a good pull, personal dogmatic mentations are limiting and fuel for discord and division. 
It reminds me of our recent conversation about willful indoctrination. Mindfulness is one way to approach this.

1 minute ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Strangely enough, not that I can recall! Sometimes I sleep and dream of nothing at all, other times... I have extremely vivid dreams.

Really I either dream extremely vividly, or I don't seem to dream at all. Or maybe I do and I just forget about it as soon as I wake up.

Are you keeping a dream journal? 

Are you keeping a dream journal? 

I haven't started one, but I'll give it a go. Essentially what I will do is use my iPhone, as it is the closest thing to me when I wake up in the morning that I can use to record dreams quickly.

• Like 2

Quotes for the day:

“Cages are not made of iron, they are made of thoughts” -Mind journal

21AF190A-4700-481B-8DC1-01AAFC313526.png

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

This is a good pull, personal dogmatic mentations are limiting and fuel for discord and division. 
It reminds me of our recent conversation about willful indoctrination. Mindfulness is one way to approach this.

If one is not mindful of what one is thinking, is one really thinking, at all? Simply conforming without translating what one hears and reads into one's own thoughts is an act of intellectual laziness. Anything that "everyone knows" is always suspect.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

I haven't started one, but I'll give it a go. Essentially what I will do is use my iPhone, as it is the closest thing to me when I wake up in the morning that I can use to record dreams quickly.

I use my iPad for the same reason. It is accessible.

I log the dream, then I go back through and analyze it log that, then I go back through and log my insights.

Many times I ask a question of my unconscious before I go to sleep, I write down my question, so I don’t forget, lol.

I love these dreams, this is fun for me.

Try it and let me know your thoughts. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

If one is not mindful of what one is thinking, is one really thinking, at all? Simply conforming without translating what one hears and reads into one's own thoughts is an act of intellectual laziness. Anything that "everyone knows" is always suspect.

This is a good question, and a good point. Mindfulness in application is open and non judgmental meaning one specifically steps aside from ego. 

In application, this mean’s using a reflective approach versus a reactive one. 

Recognizing when we are ego bound is imperative, you are correct many replay and problem solve from the same tapes playing in their heads. 

Edited by Sherapy

9 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

This is a good question, and a good point. Mindfulness in application is open and non judgmental meaning one specifically steps aside from ego.

Recognizing when we are ego bound is imperative, you are correct many replay the same tapes over and over. 

The most challenging thing about mindfulness is accepting things one would rather not know or believe about oneself. Consciousness and ego are part and parcel. Sometimes, people can't accept the good about themselves. We had a HR woman at work who could not accept a compliment without turning it into a negative. It was an automatic, knee-jerk reaction every time. A spasm of introspective pain would flash over her face, even if you just complimented her about her hair. I supposed she had had some sort of traumatic emotional event or prolonged experience in her life for which she blamed herself. Her ego was shattered and healed imperfectly with a lot of jagged edges.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

The most challenging thing about mindfulness is accepting things one would rather not know or believe about oneself. Consciousness and ego are part and parcel. Sometimes, people can't accept the good about themselves. We had a HR woman at work who could not accept a compliment without turning it into a negative. It was an automatic, knee-jerk reaction every time. A spasm of introspective pain would flash over her face, even if you just complimented her about her hair. I supposed she had had some sort of traumatic emotional event or prolonged experience in her life for which she blamed herself. Her ego was shattered and healed imperfectly with a lot of jagged edges.

Great example of judgement and how ingrained it is in her. As you said habit, pattern, unconscious. It probably goes way back and could be traced to her childhood. Our challenges our humanness is sacred too. 

I recently asked Dr. Cee Cee  if she remembers her walking self her answer was this:

( she is a quadriplegic and has managed her situation mindfully for those who do not know that I am a caregiver for her)

She said I have been a quad longer than I was a walking person, she said if I missed or longed for that I would be ego bound and not facing the actuality of my circumstances, I would not be living in the moment which would only cause me more suffering then necessary and I would have missed out on the life I have now.

For her, this path has cultivated empathy and compassion so profound she is using and has used her life to be an example. 

For me, I get the opportunity to learn and practice mindfulness too. I have taken mindfulness a lot more serious since I have been working with her. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

Great example of judgement and how ingrained it is in her. As you said habit, pattern, unconscious. It probably goes way back and could be traced to her childhood. 

I recently asked Dr. Cee Cee  if she remembers her walking self her answer was this:

( she is a quadriplegic and has managed her situation mindfully for those who do not know that I am a caregiver for her)

She said I have been a quad longer than I was a walking person, she said if I missed or longed for that I would be ego bound and not facing the actuality of my circumstances, I would not be living in the moment which would only cause me more suffering then necessary and I would have missed out on the life I have now.

For her, this path has cultivated empathy and compassion so profound she is using and has used her life to be an example. 

For me, I get the opportunity to learn and practice mindfulness too. I have taken mindfulness a lot more serious since I have been working with her. 

Yes, one's ego has to be reconciled with one's limitations. 

• Like 1

Come on guys/gals its quite simple.

Its Sunday evening, you have a few hours to go before bedtime, lets get you having no thoughts for the rest of the evening. Clear the mind, stop all thoughts arising, whenever you sleep up start again. Give it an hour and you will struggle to have thoughts.

Then once you have mastered it you can how thoughts in the present moment (second by second) just dont allow the others to creep back in.

1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

“ fact” has a specific meaning in science. 

Yes and "fact" has a specific meaning in many other things, much more important than science. 

Such as:

If you make it a habit to wait for someone else to wash the dishes for you, are you aware enough yet, that it's more important to be mindful of the "fact" that it's better for you to wash the dishes for them instead?

Edited by Will Do

21 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Its Sunday evening, you have a few hours to go before bedtime, lets get you having no thoughts for the rest of the evening. Clear the mind, stop all thoughts arising, whenever you sleep up start again. Give it an hour and you will struggle to have thoughts.

Then once you have mastered it you can how thoughts in the present moment (second by second) just dont allow the others to creep back in.

Cookie Monster, thank you for your thoughts but this is not mindfulness it is the micromanaging of ones thoughts via suppression and repression, or what I call reactive or you are not explaining yourself with clarity. 

IMHO, It is important to make this distinction. One wants to be reflective not reactive. 

Anchors are utilized in mindfulness to teach a person a new approach to paying attention, one doesn’t get rid of or silence their thoughts, one redirects their attention to their chosen anchors to create space between the thinking mind and awareness and the feeling self. 

One can use their breath to help understand this. Inhale to the count of six at the top of the inhale hold for the count of 6 and exhale to the count of 6 it is the space between the inhale and exhale (the part you held )that is the present moment and it is this space you want to grow. You don’t get rid of your mind or your thoughts or your humanness you grow in acceptance of these elements and in doing so you make decisions from this space. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Some people have no thoughts at all.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1