Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sherapy

Mindfulness

653 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

joc
21 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

This still goes toward what you can control and what you can't. You might be able to manipulate things to a degree, but there is always that X factor. Where one person does one thing and it leads to a lot of messed up events. The n't part is probably due to me being more pessimistic than most. 

Trust me my friend...the  n't  and pessimism walk hand in hand.  Yes, that X factor dambit gumby!   There are times which I do have to travel on the head-on highway.  I have absolutely no control over what the on-coming traffic is going to do...and I have absolutely no way to avoid a head-on if someone falls asleep and veers directly into me.  Like the falling rain.  If it rains.  I just know it won't rain forever and wait till it stops.  Like this damn weather right now....urg.  I really need to work...but...there isn't anything to do in the freezing rain.  I have no work to do.  And no one is going  to call me in the freezing rain.  And it is most likely going to be below freezing until the 24th...with Valentines day ushering in 6 degree low with a 19 degree high and 6 inches of snow.  And I have bills I need to pay.  And I really need to go to the chiropractor tomorrow and I have an appointment but, if it is freezing rain and the streets are slick I am not going.  And the Monday after Valentines day...when I wake up it will be 6 degrees and probably snowing and the roads will be slick and I really need to go and have a wisdom tooth pulled.  But I already rescheduled it till March 1st.  And yesterday, the heating core began leaking and so I have no heater and I have to wait until the thaw to replace it because it isn't a good thing to try to flush your radiator out in the garage.   And I have 12  5 day old chickens under a heat lamp in my dining room ... and alot of times if we get ice and snow the power goes off...and I have hardly any propane left for the fireplace...and if the power goes out all the chicks will die...and all the fish in my aquarium will die...and the pumps and filters for the koi pond and the swimming pool will freeze...and I have no control over any of that...

...so...you are absolutely correct my friend...What will be, will be. Most of the time it isn't up to me.  So, if the worst happens...meh, eventually it all comes out in the wash...and if it doesn't...well, eventually it won't matter anyway so why worry about it?  

Edited by joc
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
1 hour ago, joc said:

And that involves the incorporation of the n't in the thought process.  Without the n't it reads much differently...I can control much that goes on around me.  Some might say that is a false statement.  But I do have a lot of control over what other people do.

Like for example traffic.  Driving in traffic, especially around here is a risky business.  I have found however, that to a certain degree I can indeed control the traffic around me.  Speeding up a little bit.  Slowing down a little bit.  Avoiding the pockets of bumper to bumper, etc.  Watching to avoid things that are fifteen seconds ahead of my game.  I avoid the potential for head-on collisions by avoiding the one road where that certain death happens way to often.  I just found a better path to follow...it involves a pig farm and a couple of horse farms and it takes longer...still...   I can only control what I do and what I think...and I have found that I can think better without gumming up the works by incorporating that damned n't. :) 

Well said, Joc. Great examples by the way. 
 

Mindfulness or whatever one calls it is immaterial the point is it is often proactive and resolution oriented, metaphorical doors seem to open that point to constructive change, resolution  and growth, 

 

Another example: My husband is dealing with his family who he has been estranged from from 25 years, a family member died and there is property involved and the siblings are named to split everything fair and square. My husband has no interest in getting involved more than warranted due to the needs of the estate. 
 

We approached this proactively based on the actuality of the situation. The family is estranged meaning they can’t work together at all for any reason. The siblings including my husband are all mentally invested in the drama’s of 25 years ago.
 

So for our part we insisted on an attorney to handle the estate and we allow literally 5 minutes of venting ( setting firm boundaries)and beyond that let go. We have literally looked for ways to eliminate any any more stress than is necessary, like you and driving. I actually love your approach to dealing with commuting, well done. 
 

For us, we concluded the attorney is well worth the money. For me, the idea of living mindfully is to come up with solutions that reflect the present moment. IMHO 
 

 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw
1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

Well said, Joc. Great examples by the way. 
 

Mindfulness or whatever one calls it is immaterial the point is it is often proactive and resolution oriented, metaphorical doors seem to open that point to constructive change, resolution  and growth, 

 

Another example: My husband is dealing with his family who he has been estranged from from 25 years, a family member died and there is property involved and the siblings are named to split everything fair and square. My husband has no interest in getting involved more than warranted due to the needs of the estate. 
 

We approached this proactively based on the actuality of the situation. The family is estranged meaning they can’t work together at all for any reason. The siblings including my husband are all mentally invested in the drama’s of 25 years ago.
 

So for our part we insisted on an attorney to handle the estate and we allow literally 5 minutes of venting ( setting firm boundaries)and beyond that let go. We have literally looked for ways to eliminate any any more stress than is necessary, like you and driving. I actually love your approach to dealing with commuting, well done. 
 

For us, we concluded the attorney is well worth the money. For me, the idea of living mindfully is to come up with solutions that reflect the present moment. IMHO 
 

 

Positively Machiavellian. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lightly
22 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Sherapy

I have to wonder that if there is a mind of the universe as to why it would create component minds that are in conflict.

jmccr8

Howdy j ..   Lucky for you I've had a Lot of peaceful time out here in the desert...so I think I got it all, just about, figured out. :P

Yes...   There is one universal awareness...(not mind,as I'll explain)  ;).    It exists in the CENTER of each of our BEINGS... and is ALL Interconnected.   It is pure AWARENESS  (it doesn't need to do anything)..then, like in layers, next comes our consciousness which MERGES our awareness/being/spirit   (OUR INNER SPACE)   WITH  our MINDs, (which connects us to our bodys,and all of PHYSICALITY. ...(OUR OUTER SPACE).    Awareness exists Effortlessly, it just IS.   Thought (mind) takes effort and is therefore physical ... And to turn that thought into physical motion takes more effort/ more physical energy .     So, that's how it works.  ...anything else you need to understand bud?  I'm always here.  :lol:   (I hope)    Oop, and as for conflicting minds, that's just a people thing...the universal mind is above all that sort of thing.  Hehe.

  Anyway,  as for mindfulness,  ya, I think so... I try to be  mindful  much of the time..  Just be aware of my existence and become calm as I do all my little camping chores...or as I walk about taking it IN. Or whatever.     But , I Also like to try for more or less of a state of Mind Less Ness...I like to let my mind get quiet, and become calmer..and settle into my Inner space, until thoughts fade to a gentle hum,or faint images, in the Outside space.  I can sort of hear it,or see it.. but not well enough to make it out ... .   .   . Inner Quiet.   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
9 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Walker

Pretty sure the mind is a constant and thoughts evolve.

jmccr8

Not sure what you mean.

Nothing is constant. Even our brains evolve organically, over time, but mind is different to brain, and it evolves constantly  as our consciousness does, with new knowldge experiences and skills 

My mind is different today, to how it was yesterday. (and  just my thread on inspirational music has changed it a lot)

And  my mind, today, is totally different from my mind of 50 years ago .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

What will be, will be. Most of the time it isn't up to me.

Interesting perspective, and Iam  not denying its validity for you.

For me, over 95% of the time it IS up to me  Ie i choose what will be and work to ensure it comes to pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8

Deleted

Edited by jmccr8
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

https://www.psychologydiscussion.net/ego/functions-of-ego-notes-on-the-functions-of-ego/495

I get the feeling most people look at ego as a bad thing when its more personality than ego. I tend to look at the ID as being an impulsive child, the Ego as being our window to reality (consciousness) and self regulator, and Super-Ego as being our habits. That's just me though. 

Some add to for ya Xeno. Freud’s Structural model of the ego.
 

“The id is part of the structural apparatus of the mind, refers to that aspect of the mind that is shaped by the instinctual drives.  The id is totally unconscious and thus is inferred from the functional relationship to the rest of the mind (ego and superego).  The id is presumably present from birth, making it fundamental to the development of thought and serving as the energy source for the mental system.

“Since the id is thought to be present from birth, representing the most primitive of mental structures, it thereby also represents the nucleus from which the rest of the mind evolves.  Hartmann (1939/1986) suggested that it is appropriate to conceptualize the infant’s mind as an undifferentiated psychic state.  An ego-id matrix exists as a potentiality, based upon constitutional factors (growth of the nervous system, sensorium, and bodily maturation) and the experiences of reality.  

“Freud, in fact, suggested that the ego is, “that part of the id which has been modified by the direct influence of the external world through the medium of the Pcpt.-Cs” (perceptual-conscious) (Freud, 1923/1981, p. 18).  That is, the ego is the “sense organ” of the mental apparatus that is receptive to excitation both from the outside world and the interior of the mind.  The Pcpt.-Cs, or perceptual system, is the basis for consciousness which developed from the physical maturation of the senses in concert with environmental and visceral stimuli.  Freud, therefore, attributed the origin of the ego to the differentiated, cortical layer of the id—that part which is in contact with the outer world.  According to Freud, “the ego seeks to bring the influence of the external world to bear upon the id and its tendencies, and endeavors to substitute the reality principle for the pleasure principle which reigns unrestricted in the id” (Freud, 1923/1981, p. 19).  Thus, reality, or the external world, is to the ego what the instincts, or instinctual drives, are to the id.  Where the ego represents reason and common sense, the id represents the passions.

“The third component of the structural model is the superego.  Freud suggested that the superego develops as an artifact, so to speak, from one’s dependency upon one’s parents.  The superego is a “precipitate” of the ego, formed as a special agency of the mind to preserve and prolong parental influence within the mind.  The superego constitutes a third force, or power, which the ego must take into account.  That is, the ego is “answerable” to the instinctual drives pressing from the id, the demands of external reality, and the demands of the superego.  As a group of mental functions, this aspect of the mind deals with ideal aspirations and with moral commands and prohibitions.  The origins of the superego stem from identifications made with the ethical and moral aspects of the parental figures.  As such, the superego represents a supraordinate abstraction about the perceived or experienced qualities of the parental figures, as opposed to a more literal sensory experience or mental representation which would be within the domain of ego functions” ( Ego Psychology”).

 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xeno-Fish

I've read the above before. Thanks though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xeno-Fish

My comments in regards to ego are more the acknowledgment of what it is and why we need it. There's another thread where the idea of getting rid of the ego "is a good idea", which I think would only lead to some form of psychosis.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
17 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

My comments in regards to ego are more the acknowledgment of what it is and why we need it. There's another thread where the idea of getting rid of the ego "is a good idea", which I think would only lead to some form of psychosis.

I just figured you would not mind me piggy backing an add too. And, I think it is an interesting subject too, Freud, Jung Psychology anything :P a lot of people demonize the ego out of ignorance ( not knowing anything about the ego) the key term is having a “healthy” ego and defense mechanisms are a good thing. 
 


 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xeno-Fish
1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

I just figured you would not mind me piggy backing an add too. And, I think it is an interesting subject too, Freud, Jung Psychology anything :P a lot of people demonize the ego out of ignorance ( not knowing anything about the ego) the key term is having a “healthy” ego and defense mechanisms are a good thing. 
 


 

 

Nothing wrong with additions. In fact I think it may play well with mindfulness. As in being mindful of intentions, desires, and actions. There is this idea that you need to destroy the ego in order to be a better person. When really it's about creating a better character. Creating good habits and not acting on old bad habits. 

sow-a-thought-and-you-reap-an-action-sow

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
22 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Nothing wrong with additions. In fact I think it may play well with mindfulness. As in being mindful of intentions, desires, and actions. There is this idea that you need to destroy the ego in order to be a better person. When really it's about creating a better character. Creating good habits and not acting on old bad habits. 

sow-a-thought-and-you-reap-an-action-sow

Yeah for some reason for many the ego is a boogeyman.

“In The Ego and the Mechanisms of Defense, Anna Freud (1937/1966) provided the first systematized and comprehensive account of the defenses. Her work followed directly from the latest revisions of classical psychoanalytic theory and helped further to underscore the significance of the ego system, both in terms of developmental theory and in terms of clinical treatment.

Anna Freud suggested that defense mechanisms possess the following five properties:

Defenses are a major means for the managing of conflict and affect.

Defenses are unconscious.

Defenses are discrete from one another.

Defenses are dynamic and reversible.

Defenses are adaptive as well as pathological”( Ego Psychology).

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Liquid Gardens
11 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Yeah for some reason for many the ego is a boogeyman.

Interesting, the only reason I thought the ego was demonized is that it sometimes used to refer to vanity or conceit in normal conversation ('jeez that guy has the biggest ego, all he does is talk about how great he is.'), which is of course a different thing than Freud's definition above.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xeno-Fish
14 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Interesting, the only reason I thought the ego was demonized is that it sometimes used to refer to vanity or conceit in normal conversation ('jeez that guy has the biggest ego, all he does is talk about how great he is.'), which is of course a different thing than Freud's definition above.

Which is more a narcissistic personality. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
On 2/8/2021 at 5:55 PM, Sherapy said:

 

Hi everyone, 

For me, Mindfulness a new movement that is not only finding its way into my day to day, but into my work environment too and it doesn’t matter what path one is on as it can be seen in many walks of life regardless, if one is spiritual, skeptical, or a believer. 

A big aspect of Mindfulness for me is meditation, which is also a significant component of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy along with grounding, laughter, a support system, breathing (to release calming endorphins) the idea is to be fully present/aware of the moment.
 

I offer 3 practices for this thread:

Approach others perspectives non judgmentally (meaning do not just label anyone’s contributions as good or bad with no context.)

Do not engage in or create drama (past behaviors do not matter in this thread) let’s try and see each other with fresh eyes and with any habitual reactions instead observe them as if it is a car driving by. Step back from reactive responses in favor of posting reflective considerate posts. 

Let’s use our voices to question, contribute, mull over, inspire, respectfully challenge, and give feedback pro or con, suggestions and quotes, videos and links to read are welcomed. All voices are valued and appreciated.

 

Mindfulness is self awareness, of ones actions, (thoughts, words, deeds), and the consequences of those actions.

So that if one is self aware enough, one may see past "stupidities", and so learn any lessons however harsh, and then make the resolve to better oneself in the future,

Of course there has to be a moral and ethical foundation to all of this, overwise its runs a risk of sliding into sociopathic or psychopathic habits and tendencies.

Mindfulness could also apply to how one feels, and the reasons why.

So having a purely analytical and objective appraisal, not emotional, is probably best for this practice.

And honesty, obviously. Self deceit being the opposite of self awareness.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
17 hours ago, joc said:

Trust me my friend...the  n't  and pessimism walk hand in hand.  Yes, that X factor dambit gumby!   There are times which I do have to travel on the head-on highway.  I have absolutely no control over what the on-coming traffic is going to do...and I have absolutely no way to avoid a head-on if someone falls asleep and veers directly into me.  Like the falling rain.  If it rains.  I just know it won't rain forever and wait till it stops.  Like this damn weather right now....urg.  I really need to work...but...there isn't anything to do in the freezing rain.  I have no work to do.  And no one is going  to call me in the freezing rain.  And it is most likely going to be below freezing until the 24th...with Valentines day ushering in 6 degree low with a 19 degree high and 6 inches of snow.  And I have bills I need to pay.  And I really need to go to the chiropractor tomorrow and I have an appointment but, if it is freezing rain and the streets are slick I am not going.  And the Monday after Valentines day...when I wake up it will be 6 degrees and probably snowing and the roads will be slick and I really need to go and have a wisdom tooth pulled.  But I already rescheduled it till March 1st.  And yesterday, the heating core began leaking and so I have no heater and I have to wait until the thaw to replace it because it isn't a good thing to try to flush your radiator out in the garage.   And I have 12  5 day old chickens under a heat lamp in my dining room ... and alot of times if we get ice and snow the power goes off...and I have hardly any propane left for the fireplace...and if the power goes out all the chicks will die...and all the fish in my aquarium will die...and the pumps and filters for the koi pond and the swimming pool will freeze...and I have no control over any of that...

...so...you are absolutely correct my friend...What will be, will be. Most of the time it isn't up to me.  So, if the worst happens...meh, eventually it all comes out in the wash...and if it doesn't...well, eventually it won't matter anyway so why worry about it?  

Mindfulness, is of the mind, and some feelings, emotions too.

in other words, what is going on inside oneself.

The list of "problems" you have written, are obviously outside of the self. Which by the way, I feel for you..

Anyway, there is mystical aspect to all of this, which is, when one can use mindfulness to a high degree, it will give one the tools necessary to make a meaningful change, then this "outside world" will naturally and quite by itself, more or less, full into place with-out too much effort.

If one is willing to try, anyway.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
20 hours ago, joc said:

 

My ego is never in check.  It's all about me.  I help people because it makes me feel good.  I think it is impossible to separate self from ego.  It's always about us.  Always.  That being said...it's never about me.  It's always about the other person.  I would drown trying to save you from drowning.  But then again how could I live with myself if I just watched you drown and didn't even try to save you.  So, it is all about me.  It is always about me.  No matter how you dice it...my ego never gets checked. :hmm:

That is not ego, it is good character.

Helping folk because it makes you feel good is no bad thing. Its the sign of a good character.

Also, wanting to help because otherwise you would feel bad, it also a sign of a good character.

The ego is selfish and wouldn't help unless there was something overtly rewarding, eg, not mere feelings.

Being willing to die, trying to help another person is not selfish, it is the ultimate sacrifice.

You may feel good afterwards, you may feel nothing much at all, as if it were your duty and that's that.

The ego is selfish and ultimately destructive. Y

Your character on the other hand is ultimately constructive, and as such, shall ultimately lead to a more peaceful life.

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xeno-Fish
17 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

That is not ego, it is good character.

Helping folk because it makes you feel good is no bad thing. Its the sign of a good character.

Also, wanting to help because otherwise you would feel bad, it also a sign of a good character.

The ego is selfish and wouldn't help unless there was something overtly rewarding, eg, not mere feelings.

Being willing to die, trying to help another person is not selfish, it is the ultimate sacrifice.

You may feel good afterwards, you may feel nothing much at all, as if it were your duty and that's that.

The ego is selfish and ultimately destructive. Y

Your character on the other hand is ultimately constructive, and as such, shall ultimately lead to a more peaceful life.

 

 

 

 

The id is what's selfish and can be destructive, not the ego. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Which is more a narcissistic personality. 

It would be an ego defense pathology, ego defenses can be adaptive or pathological. Think of the ego and it’s ego defense as an adaptive system. 

“Not unlike Bandura’s reciprocal determinism, Hartmann distinguished between the organism’s ability to effect change upon the environment (alloplastic action) and to change itself (autoplastic action). These methods of adaptation, along with the potential to choose a new environment, illustrate the adaptive goals of the ego system” ( Ego Psychology).

 

2 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Interesting, the only reason I thought the ego was demonized is that it sometimes used to refer to vanity or conceit in normal conversation ('jeez that guy has the biggest ego, all he does is talk about how great he is.'), which is of course a different thing than Freud's definition above.

“[A bit more about] the seven levels of ego defense based upon their general function purposes: high adaptive, mental inhibitions (compromise formations), minor image-distorting, disavowel, major image-distorting, action level, and severe defensive dysregulation.

“A description of each of the seven levels follows.

“High adaptive defenses represent “optimal adaptation in the handling of stressors. These defenses usually maximize gratification and allow the conscious awareness of feelings, ideas, and their consequences. They also promote an optimum balance among conflicting motives” (American Psychiatric Association, 1994, p. 752). Such defenses are anticipation, affiliation, altruism, humor, self-assertion, self-observation, sublimation, and suppression.

“Mental inhibitions (compromise formations) refer to defenses that keep “potentially threatening ideas, feelings, memories, wishes, or fears out of awareness” (American Psychiatric Association, 1994, p. 752). Examples of these would be displacement, dissociation, intellectualization, isolation of affect, reaction formation, repression, and undoing.

“Minor image-distorting defenses involve “distortions in the image of the self, body, or others that may be employed to regulate self-esteem” (American Psychiatric Association, 1994, p. 752). Such defenses include devaluation, idealization, and omnipotence.

“Disavowal defenses “keep unpleasant or unacceptable stressors, impulses, ideas, affects, or responsibility out of awareness with or without a misattribution of these to external causes” (American Psychiatric Association, 1994, p. 752). Examples of disavowal defenses are denial, projection, and rationalization.

“Major image-distorting defenses are “characterized by gross distortion or misattribution of the image of self or others” (American Psychiatric Association, 1994, p. 753). These would include autistic fantasy, projective identification, and splitting of self-image or image of others.

“Action level defenses are “characterized by defensive functioning that deals with internal or external stressors by action or withdrawal” (American Psychiatric Association, 1994, p. 753) and would include acting out, apathetic withdrawal, help-rejecting complaining, and passive aggression.

“Severe defensive dysregulation “is characterized by failure of defensive regulation to contain the individual’s reaction to stressors, leading to a pronounced break with objective reality” (American Psychiatric Association, 1994, p. 753). This final level would include delusional projection, psychotic denial, and psychotic distortion” (Ego psychology).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
36 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The id is what's selfish and can be destructive, not the ego. 

I think of my dog in the case of understanding id. Zenny my dog naturally follows his instincts (id) they are not necessarily selfish  he just doesn’t have the understanding of reality, for ex: wanting to cross the street with oncoming cars could get him killed or seriously hurt, he can’t read the sign that says “Keep Your Dog off the Lawn” so I set limits on him via teaching him thru this he learns to adapt his id to meet the environment. In a sense Zenny (id) or what comes natural to him meets “ego” ( adaption, regulation).

“Unrestricted expression and gratification of the instincts would inexorably lead to conflicts and clashes with the person’s environment or reality.  In this way, reality (in the form of a civilized society) imposes a necessary restraining of the instinctual demands.  Thus, we consciously perceive reality in terms of the degree to which our drives can be met or must be compromised” ( Ego Psychology).

For ex: Narcissism,

“Narcissistic characters, for example, who seek out confirmation from others about their power and prestige, may do so to defend against primitive dependency needs and associated feelings of helplessness and powerlessness.  

“These same individuals may sometimes tolerate some emotions because they can be justified as reasonable and rational, thereby utilizing rationalization as a defense, which serves to support a sense of narcissistic omnipotence” (Personality Disorders).

 

 

 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joc
1 hour ago, Crazy Horse said:

Mindfulness, is of the mind, and some feelings, emotions too.

in other words, what is going on inside oneself.

The list of "problems" you have written, are obviously outside of the self. Which by the way, I feel for you..

Anyway, there is mystical aspect to all of this, which is, when one can use mindfulness to a high degree, it will give one the tools necessary to make a meaningful change, then this "outside world" will naturally and quite by itself, more or less, full into place with-out too much effort.

If one is willing to try, anyway.

 

I use to think it was 'mystical' now I just think it is the way the universe works.  I call it The Universal Flow.  The Galaxies all spin in one direction...everything revolves around everything else...more or less...

I like the way Napoleon Hill framed it.  When we open our minds to 'infinite intelligence'  we have no self set limitations on our thought process...so...our thoughts can 'flow' in a positive direction freely.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
51 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The id is what's selfish and can be destructive, not the ego. 

If by id, you mean identification, then...that would depend on what you identify with. Eg, selfish desires or selfless ambitions.

Ego is the self-centred part of ones personality, character is the selfless part of that same personality.

Through a mindfulness practice, followed-up by a stringent application, and an honest appraisal, one may see in real time, very quickly, the very real benefits of reducing ones ego, and thereby creating the environment needed for the more generous nature to blossom.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
5 minutes ago, joc said:

I use to think it was 'mystical' now I just think it is the way the universe works.  I call it The Universal Flow.  The Galaxies all spin in one direction...everything revolves around everything else...more or less...

I like the way Napoleon Hill framed it.  When we open our minds to 'infinite intelligence'  we have no self set limitations on our thought process...so...our thoughts can 'flow' in a positive direction freely.

Yes, it is the way the universe works. Like attracts like.

I guess when there is little or no correlation between, say, helping an old lady cross the road, and someone calling you up to offer some work, then I could call it mystical, although it is just energy.. Intelligent energy and Universal Principles in action.

I like that Napoleon Hill quote, especially the highlighted bit..

"Infinite intelligence" obviously meaning something in harmony. Something that works. Something that up-lifts the Human Spirit.

Especially if one wants to flow in a positive direction freely.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xeno-Fish
9 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

If by id, you mean identification, then...that would depend on what you identify with. Eg, selfish desires or selfless ambitions.

Ego is the self-centred part of ones personality, character is the selfless part of that same personality.

Through a mindfulness practice, followed-up by a stringent application, and an honest appraisal, one may see in real time, very quickly, the very real benefits of reducing ones ego, and thereby creating the environment needed for the more generous nature to blossom.

 

Christ man! Have you not been following the conversation at all? 

People like you are walls. 

Sherapy gave a good example of the id. The ego is a part of our self regulation system along with the super ego. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.