Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Inspirational songs and hymns

Mr Walker

My wife just called me to her computer to listen to a song she was listening to, to help her decipher it 

In the end it wasn't hard, although it had a twist in the tail

The lyrics moved me to tears and i thought about the many other songs which have done so, or empowered me in my life (like "I am woman" by Helen Reddy. 

I thought I would ask other posters what songs (including but not limited to hymns) have most motivated them and influenced their lives 

I am quite open to non religious songs because any song which lifts the spirit is spiritual. IMO  

Sometimes it is the music alone, sometimes its the lyrics and the most powerful include lyrics and music like Amazing grace" 

So what ones have most moved, empowered, or changed your life, or which do you simply love the most? 

Ps the song my wife shared was one I had never heard before yet resonated powerfully with me .

It is called Three Wooden Crosses, sung by   Randy Travis   and no, it has nothing to do with THOSE three  wooden crosses 

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

That's a very good topic. I have quite a few songs on my various playlists I'd put into that category. If I need a good "positive" cry and stuff.

Some are:

That hymn (yes it is apprarently a hymn from the British islands) and it's imagery are just so. gosh. darn. beautiful. And powerful. Even if I'm not a Christian I still gain a lot of positive energy from the beauty of the melody and the lyrics. The "Born of the one light Eden say play" part is the one that always makes me tear up.

And of very personal importance to me is this song:

Some years ago I posted my personal interpretation of this song here as a confirmation that homosexual love can be just as pure and "holy" as heterosexual one. I know that's probably not what the writer ot either of the singers wanted to convey, but that's my meaning of the song.

And finally:

because it describes the kind of love I hope to be able to share with someone one day. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

That's a very good topic. I have quite a few songs on my various playlists I'd put into that category. If I need a good "positive" cry and stuff.

Some are:

That hymn (yes it is apprarently a hymn from the British islands) and it's imagery are just so. gosh. darn. beautiful. And powerful. Even if I'm not a Christian I still gain a lot of positive energy from the beauty of the melody and the lyrics. The "Born of the one light Eden say play" part is the one that always makes me tear up.

And of very personal importance to me is this song:

Some years ago I posted my personal interpretation of this song here as a confirmation that homosexual love can be just as pure and "holy" as heterosexual one. I know that's probably not what the writer ot either of the singers wanted to convey, but that's my meaning of the song.

And finally:

because it describes the kind of love I hope to be able to share with someone one day. 

Wow, I almost added hallelujah to my own introduction, and Cat Stevens was one of my favourite artists.

I still often sing lyrics from  his albums to lift my spirits or celebrate a good mood. and yep the lines you quote are among my favourites 

Back in the days of vinyl,  we had all The Cat's albums, and he was a favourite of both my wife and I  

I think it was both the innate (human)  spiritualty of many of his song lyrics, combined with the freshness of his music at that time.  

but lol you've just made me aware of a Mondegreen 

I always thought the lyrics were 

"Born of the one light Eden saw plain" but it's "saw play" 

You might like this version

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ouija ouija said:

I'm going to have to turn on the sound on my computer for this one or, better idea move to my tablet. 

I dont know this song.  Any specfic reason for your choice? 

I'm being dead serious here.

It's not my dry sarcasm.

• Like 4

Just now, Mr Walker said:

I'm going to have to turn on the sound on my computer for this one or, better idea move to my tablet. 

I dont know this song.  Any specfic reason for your choice? 

I'm sorry to hear you have never heard this song before. When it first came out I thought it would be a world-wide anthem . . . . that it would be known all around the world and passed on from generation to generation. I think it is incredibly moving and powerful; even now it makes me cry and makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. The personal reason I love it is pathetic when compared to the subject of the lyrics. I was in a dark place at the time, struggling to bring my son up on my own. It was a time when the press, politicians and the general public were very much into bashing single mothers . . . . totally belittling them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I'm sorry to hear you have never heard this song before. When it first came out I thought it would be a world-wide anthem . . . . that it would be known all around the world and passed on from generation to generation. I think it is incredibly moving and powerful; even now it makes me cry and makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. The personal reason I love it is pathetic when compared to the subject of the lyrics. I was in a dark place at the time, struggling to bring my son up on my own. It was a time when the press, politicians and the general public were very much into bashing single mothers . . . . totally belittling them. 

Yes  I just listened to a couple of versions and can see why you chose it. I  actually preferred the Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton and  Kenny Rogers version, but that's just my taste. The lyrics have universal power and meaning. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Piney said:

I'm being dead serious here.

It's not my dry sarcasm.

Interesting choices. I can see the spiritual relevance and pattern, and the power in all 3 and how they could resonate. Again, Ive never seen/heard them before,   but they sound like well constructed songs, with good  quality music.

Not my taste, but I can still appreciate their quality.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

I dont have your personal connection with these  but at least I know the bands and like them. I guess its the contextual relevance  for you that makes them  special but they both have power.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

What can I say.

Pure joy. Energy, good rhythm 

Even the lyrical story line is interesting.  One of my favourites, also.

Something special about talented children singing.

Ps have you heard the Dubliner's version on you tube?

Something about that Irish accent and energy.

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

Thanks for the contributions so far. Enjoyed listening to them all. Going to have an early night (about 10 pm)after staying up until 4 am then 1.30 am the last two nights, so wont be responding for a while, but looking forward to hearing more tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Mr Walker said:

I am quite open to non religious songs because any song which lifts the spirit is spiritual. IMO  

Well, since you ask so kindly - here you go.

I am tempted to post a ton of video's.

Here another one: Mike Oldfield with Tubular Bells. And I mean the whole album.

7 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

I am tempted to post a ton of video's.

Indeed! :lol:

All our emotions.... 

• Like 1

Walker, you wanted songs that people found uplifting. So that leaves out "the Sound of Silence" performed by Disturbed. That version never fails to bring tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat. Anyway, I already posted it a day ago on this site.

I do have another one that many won't even know of, because they weren't born yet. It's Magna Carta with "Lord of the Ages" :

• Like 2

If you want me to stop posting videos, then please say so, or else...

The next one may surprise you: it's the Russian National Anthem performed by the Red Army Choir. I don't understand a single word of it, but no doubt it's very nationalistic. And it always makes my blood boil. To me it is the best national anthem, and I am not even Russian or communist.

I work as a gardener for years now, and often I have several people working with & for me who come from eastern Europe. One time, after our work, we were all having a smoke, coffee and a chat in a big hall. At some point - I had been wandering around, thinking of nothing special - I started humming this anthem. Then, to my big surprise, Poles, Moldavians, Latvians, Bulgarians, Romanians and a Czech started singing this anthem as though they formed a choir!

Well, here it is, the only anthem with brass balls:

One of my favorite happy songs. ;)

• Like 1

One more happy song from me today and then I will stop! :lol:

*Singing* 

Love my way, it's a new road

I follow where my mind goes

• Haha 1

Well, here's an actual hymn. Originally a poem in German by Matthias Claudias (1782) and translated into English by Jane Montgomery Campbell for the 19th Century Episcopal (American Anglican) hymnal. The music is by Stephen Schwartz for Godspell. The occasion is the lauch press conference for the 2012 Broadway cast album. Telly Leung sings, and Hunter Parrish has the spoken words.

All Good Things (We Plow the Fields and Scatter)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, eight bits said:

Well, here's an actual hymn. Originally a poem in German by Matthias Claudias (1782) and translated into English by Jane Montgomery Campbell for the 19th Century Episcopal (American Anglican) hymnal. The music is by Stephen Schwartz for Godspell. The occasion is the lauch press conference for the 2012 Broadway cast album. Telly Leung sings, and Hunter Parrish has the spoken words.

All Good Things (We Plow the Fields and Scatter)

Wow, I love it! :wub:

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Abramelin said:

For starters:

Ah yes. Powerful stuff. My wife has that music attached to a video of a naval vessel in very heavy seas, which she oten uses. Are all the paintings  Turners? The combination is very  stirring.

• Like 1