Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

R.I.P kmt_sesh

Saru

On 2/12/2021 at 3:22 AM, Piney said:

I was thinking the same, I just wanted to throw it by @Harte and get a name list together.

I'm pulling a 2 week straight because of the wonderful weather but next week I'm calling the funeral home. 

Let me know.  I'll chip in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2021 at 9:41 AM, Saru said:

It very much saddens me to report that our long-time friend and moderator John DeWerd - who we all knew on the forums as kmt_sesh - passed away suddenly on January 25th due to health complications following his stroke.

John joined the forum back in 2007 and made over 23,000 posts here, most of which being in the Ancient Mysteries board as he had a keen interest in the ancient world and especially in ancient Egypt. In real-life he volunteered at the Chicago Field Museum and Oriental Institute and would spend his weekends sharing his passion and knowledge with others by giving lectures and tours.

In addition to his participation in the Ancient Mysteries section, John was also a moderator here on the Unexplained Mysteries forums - as always I cannot put into words my appreciation for the time he volunteered to help keep things running smoothly.

He will be very much missed by a great many of our members here.

On behalf of us all - our warmest wishes and condolences go out to his family and friends at this difficult time.

https://www.cooneyfuneralhome.com/obituary/John-DeWerd

so sad to hear  kmt_sesh the best member I ever knew had died :(:(:(

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm in, as well.  Please let me know the plan.  I didn't interact much with our Mummy Overlord but I recognize him as one of the most patient, consistently positive members here over my 9 years.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Deepest sympathies to those who knew and Love him.        Thanks kemet_sesh 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 2/12/2021 at 4:22 AM, Piney said:

I was thinking the same, I just wanted to throw it by @Harte and get a name list together.

I'm pulling a 2 week straight because of the wonderful weather but next week I'm calling the funeral home. 

I want to contribute as well....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Swede said:

Greetings folks. Memorial update:

I have been in contact with the Field Museum and gleaned the following:

Donations can be made online at the following:

https://app.mobilecause.com/form/aZnf4w?vid=gro8t

You can click "Other" to specify a donation within your budget. There is space to specify a memorial donation and also room for a message to bring up the plaque matter.

To mail a check (my preference), the address is:

Field Museum

75 Remittance Dr., Suite 1093

Chicago, IL 60675

If using a check, be sure to note on the check to the effect of a memorial in honor of John DeWerd. I would also include a brief note again mentioning the plaque.

In discussing the plaque with the Field, the person being spoken to did not have direct knowledge of the process but he said that once donations start arriveing, this may be a possibility.

Am now in direct personal email and phone contact with the museum and should be receiving a bit more information. Will relay if applicable. Feel free to ask any other questions. Will do my best to address them.

Best,

Swede

Thanks for the update and work there Swede.. So, Field Museum is worked on. Harte, since Swede has been in contact and gotten response, if your email trails off we know it's still being handled. 
I think Piney said they were going to check with the funeral home about tributes/arrangements? Was that also handling/figuring about contributions to tree plantings? 

Trying to make sure we are all coordinating here.

And we still have the Celebration of Life to be announced too. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, rashore said:

I think Piney said they were going to check with the funeral home about tributes/arrangements? Was that also handling/figuring about contributions to tree plantings? 

You can have a tribute tree planted using the link I posted. I'm doing that regardless. @jmccr8 is also doing that on top of his donation. But it has nothing to do with the Field Museum. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Thought that the members would appreciate reading a quote from recent contact with the museum:

It truly is an honor to have an amazing member of our community create such an impact with his loved ones.

Field Museum.org

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

The Field Museum is really a fantastic place. I wish I could get back to Chicago to see it now, 30 years later. Chicago is a great city - downtown on the water anyway. Can't speak for the rest of it except to say you'll sweat your guts out in the suburbs (and there's no doubt places in the city to stay out of.)

Harte

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Piney said:

You can have a tribute tree planted using the link I posted. I'm doing that regardless. @jmccr8 is also doing that on top of his donation. But it has nothing to do with the Field Museum. 

Hi Piney

I will be calling legacy again tomorrow was to late today, 10 trees for $85.00 and will use a prepaid credit card. 

jmccr8

• Like 4

On 2/17/2021 at 1:31 PM, Swede said:

Am now in direct personal email and phone contact with the museum and should be receiving a bit more information. Will relay if applicable. Feel free to ask any other questions. Will do my best to address them.

Best,

Hi Swede

Thanks, are we setting up to purchase one each or one from UM and if it is one from UM are our payments being put in one fund?

jmccr8

• Like 3

Do we know how this is going to work now?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Okay I was able to buy the trees today and the memorandum is in memory of John from the members of UM. I included everyone because we all love him.

jmccr8

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Swede

Thanks, are we setting up to purchase one each or one from UM and if it is one from UM are our payments being put in one fund?

jmccr8

JM,

If we can get the situation arranged, there will be one plaque. Was in touch with the Field earlier today and they confirmed that a fund had been set up on John's name. They also mentioned that they had already received at least four contributions.

The plaque situation is still a work in progress and no determination has been made yet. The person I have been dealing with noted that all the contributors should mention the plaque matter along with their contribution as it provides them with a bit of "ammo" to argue in favor of placing a plague. Of course, do mention "In Honor of John DeWerd" with your contribution.

My check is in the mail and, in addition to noting the "In Honor of..." on the check, a short letter was enclosed dealing with the donation and the plaque. It appears that hard copies provide good support for the plaque.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

19 hours ago, susieice said:

Do we know how this is going to work now?

Susieice,

Please see above, #92, for the latest information from my end.

Edit: Correction.

Edited by Swede
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Swede said:

JM,

If we can get the situation arranged, there will be one plaque. Was in touch with the Field earlier today and they confirmed that a fund had been set up on John's name. They also mentioned that they had already received at least four contributions.

The plaque situation is still a work in progress and no determination has been made yet. The person I have been dealing with noted that all the contributors should mention the plaque matter along with their contribution as it provides them with a bit of "ammo" to argue in favor of placing a plague. Of course, do mention "In Honor of John DeWerd" with your contribution.

My check is in the mail and, in addition to noting the "In Honor of..." on the check, a short letter was enclosed dealing with the donation and the plaque. It appears that hard copies provide good support for the plaque.

Hi Swede

Thank you I will call them and contribute as I will use a prepaid credit card.

jmccr8 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Swede

Thank you I will call them and contribute as I will use a prepaid credit card.

jmccr8 

You could also use your card on the provided website. This would allow you to get the "In Honor" and plaque mention on digital "paper". Better for documentation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Swede said:

You could also use your card on the provided website. This would allow you to get the "In Honor" and plaque mention on digital "paper". Better for documentation.

Hi Swede

Thanks will do.

Not sure how exchange rates work for the site but will find out 

jmccr8

• Like 2

Not sure what to do it does not let me put it through because I do not have an American address and there is no option that I can find for Canada/

jmccr8

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

Not sure what to do it does not let me put it through because I do not have an American address and there is no option that I can find for Canada/

jmccr8

I had the same problem. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I had the same problem. 

I phoned them and am waiting for a call back but may have to buy a money order as an option.

jmccr8

Edited by jmccr8
It posted without my response
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

I phoned them and am waiting for a call back but may have to buy a money order as an option.

jmccr8

Please tell me if you find a solution that works for us forreinors. :tu:

I miss how he allways annoyed me by calling me Swedish. I'm not ! Honestly !

• Like 4
  • Haha 1