Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

R.I.P kmt_sesh

Saru

1 hour ago, Swede said:

You could also use your card on the provided website. This would allow you to get the "In Honor" and plaque mention on digital "paper". Better for documentation.

I can do this online? I'm sorry. I didn't see the website. Could you provide the address please? Thanks.

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

Not sure what to do it does not let me put it through because I do not have an American address and there is no option that I can find for Canada/

jmccr8

Maybe we need to mention that donations will come from many different countries so the museum is aware and can prepare for it.

• Like 7

Just now, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Please tell me if you find a solution that works for us forreinors. :tu:

I miss how he allways annoyed me by calling me Swedish. I'm not ! Honestly !

I will as many of us are from different countries and would like to show our respects and will post it here in the thread.

jmccr8

• Like 5

Just now, susieice said:

I can do this online? I'm sorry. I didn't see the website. Could you provide the address please? Thanks.

Maybe we need to mention that donations will come from many different countries so the museum is aware and can prepare for it.

Hi Susieice

The site appears to be for Americans and hopefully when the museum calls back they will have a remedy for us.

https://app.mobilecause.com/form/aZnf4w?vid=gtu6n

This is the link Swede gave.

jmccr8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

32 minutes ago, susieice said:

As noted, JM already covered this. As you are apparently in the US, there should not be a problem. Just remember to specify the donation in honor of John and the placement of a plaque. There are "boxes" available for such.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Swede said:

JM,

If we can get the situation arranged, there will be one plaque. Was in touch with the Field earlier today and they confirmed that a fund had been set up on John's name. They also mentioned that they had already received at least four contributions.

The plaque situation is still a work in progress and no determination has been made yet. The person I have been dealing with noted that all the contributors should mention the plaque matter along with their contribution as it provides them with a bit of "ammo" to argue in favor of placing a plague. Of course, do mention "In Honor of John DeWerd" with your contribution.

My check is in the mail and, in addition to noting the "In Honor of..." on the check, a short letter was enclosed dealing with the donation and the plaque. It appears that hard copies provide good support for the plaque.

Late edit. Apologies for the typo. That should naturally read plaque.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Swede said:

"In Honor of..."

That might be problematic, 

"In memory of... " might make things more pliable... 

~

• Like 5

20 hours ago, third_eye said:

That might be problematic, 

"In memory of... " might make things more pliable... 

~

That would be a matter of your own discretion. However, quoting directly from recent communication with the Field:

For gifts that are in honor of your friend submitted online, click here and be sure to fill out the "In honor of" section at the bottom of the form with the heading "Donation Type".

Please be sure to add in the memo of the check "In honor of _____".(Emphases added).

Field Museum.org 2-17-21.

Edit: Phrasing.

Edited by Swede
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Greetings all,

Finally received some feedback from the Field Museum regarding the possible placement of a plaque in John's honor in the Egyptology section. It turns out that to get such a plaque installed would require a minimum of $25,000 USD in cumulative donations. Am admittedly disappointed, as it is unlikely that we have the wherewithal to reach such a figure. At least the funds will go to John's favored recipient.

The Field is a large organization and they apparently operate along lines similar to hospitals, universities, etc.

• Thanks 9

3 hours ago, Swede said:

Greetings all,

Finally received some feedback from the Field Museum regarding the possible placement of a plaque in John's honor in the Egyptology section. It turns out that to get such a plaque installed would require a minimum of $25,000 USD in cumulative donations. Am admittedly disappointed, as it is unlikely that we have the wherewithal to reach such a figure. At least the funds will go to John's favored recipient.

The Field is a large organization and they apparently operate along lines similar to hospitals, universities, etc.

So we can still send in a monetary donation in honor of John?   Am I understanding that correctly?  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, tcgram said:

So we can still send in a monetary donation in honor of John?   Am I understanding that correctly?  

I went to that link and it allows a donation and a choice of a "memorial, or gift but it doesn't seem like there is a choice for it being given in John's memory.  Maybe I'm just confused.  I'd like to plant some trees in his memory but I'd also like to be part of a UM "group" effort if we can do that.  

• Like 3

So sorry to hear this. My condolences to everyone. R.I.P. John and thank you for everything you did for this website. 

• Like 6

RIP Kmt sesh...your contributions to the site along with our memories of you as a wonderful person will never be forgotten. 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Swede said:

Greetings all,

Thats too bad, but I really appreciate your effort. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, tcgram said:

Yes, you can still send in monetary donations in honor of John. The museum has been rather profuse in expressing their appreciation of the donations.

• Like 8

Hotep kmt-Sesh 

• Like 2

R.I.P. Kmt sesh!

Adonais: An Elegy on the Death of John Keats

BY PERCY BYSSHE SHELLEY

I

I weep for Adonais—he is dead!

Oh, weep for Adonais! though our tears

Thaw not the frost which binds so dear a head!

And thou, sad Hour, selected from all years

To mourn our loss, rouse thy obscure compeers,

And teach them thine own sorrow, say: "With me

Died Adonais; till the Future dares

Forget the Past, his fate and fame shall be

An echo and a light unto eternity!"

[...]

XXXIX

Peace, peace! he is not dead, he doth not sleep,

He hath awaken'd from the dream of life;

'Tis we, who lost in stormy visions, keep

With phantoms an unprofitable strife,

And in mad trance, strike with our spirit's knife

Invulnerable nothings. We decay

Like corpses in a charnel; fear and grief

Convulse us and consume us day by day,

And cold hopes swarm like worms within our living clay.

LII

The One remains, the many change and pass;

Heaven's light forever shines, Earth's shadows fly;

Life, like a dome of many-colour'd glass,

Stains the white radiance of Eternity,

Until Death tramples it to fragments.—Die,

If thou wouldst be with that which thou dost seek!

Follow where all is fled!—Rome's azure sky,

Flowers, ruins, statues, music, words, are weak

The glory they transfuse with fitting truth to speak.

[...]

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/45112/adonais-an-elegy-on-the-death-of-john-keats

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am two weeks late, but this news is truly heart breaking. :(

kmt_sesh was among the very best forum posters I interacted with over the years, patient, knowledgeable, but above all, so witty and kind.

You will be sorely missed, my forever mummy overlord. :(

My thoughts goes to his family and close ones who lost an exceptionnal human being.

• Like 8

I haven’t even got the words. John is a huge inspiration, I think I talk about how much I want to go to the field museum at least once a week. He will be missed greatly. Condolences to everyone. 

• Like 7

R.I.P. mummy overlord dearest.

• Like 5

Okay just an update for all us foreigners The museum called me back last week but I was unable to get back to them during business hours but took today off to take care of some things and did speak with Kyle. He is going to send me an e-mail as to how we can make a donation in Honor of John and will post it here for those of you who are interested.

jmccr8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Oh, man I just now read this and it saddens me greatly. In intelligence and character, John was a giant among us, his patience should serve as a model for us all. My wife and I took our grandson to Chicago to visit the museums and I made it a point to seek John out. In person, he was every bit the gentleman he presented here on this forum. He had a great thirst for knowledge and was so, so eager to share it with all who showed an interest. I will miss him forever, thank you , John, for being you. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Gaden said:

Oh, man I just now read this and it saddens me greatly. In intelligence and character, John was a giant among us, his patience should serve as a model for us all. My wife and I took our grandson to Chicago to visit the museums and I made it a point to seek John out. In person, he was every bit the gentleman he presented here on this forum. He had a great thirst for knowledge and was so, so eager to share it with all who showed an interest. I will miss him forever, thank you , John, for being you. 

Hi Gaden

I only wish I could have met him in person because of the effect he had on me here in the forum.

jmccr8

• Like 5

12 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Gaden

I only wish I could have met him in person because of the effect he had on me here in the forum.

jmccr8

It was something I will always cherish. In person, he was the same person we saw here, charming and gracious. Questions about the exhibits made his eyes light up, and his tablet appear, scrolling through files and pictures. He was so eager to share and to teach. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Gaden said:

It was something I will always cherish. In person, he was the same person we saw here, charming and gracious. Questions about the exhibits made his eyes light up, and his tablet appear, scrolling through files and pictures. He was so eager to share and to teach. 

Hi Gaden

Yes he was and he taught me much including helping me learn to use a computer 

jmccr8

• Like 5