Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US Woke Culture a Threat to French Culture

OverSword

1 minute ago, Hugh Mungus said:

Perhaps you have, but they were to scared to tell you?

Maybe it was during one of the race sensitivity trainings at your work place? Or maybe it was at a university campus protest against a speaker?

Both these settings are places where i would be scared to voice my opinion, no matter how reasonable it seems to me. Not because i think my views are reprehensible, but because the reactions to my reasonable views could be incredible damaging to my livelihood or safety.

I have never worked anywhere that had a "race sensitivity training" nor have I ever attended any protest on or off any campus.  I know you are not afraid to speak your mind.  If you are afraid of others reactions to your views, they most certainly are Not reasonable.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I think our parents found it the same way.  I don't understand why you think our culture is the dominant culture.  I disagree about that.

Google, Facebook, Amazon, Uber, McDonald's, Walmart, etc are all around the world.

Hollywood movies sales all over the world as well as our music whereas the reverse is not really true for many nations. 

English is the most universal language due to trade. Most places will learn English as a second language due to that reason. Ask a young person in Germany or Brazil who Taylor Swift or Justice Beber is and they will know. Ask one of us who a famous Brazil or German artist is and we will not know.

Our Twitch, Youtube, Instagram is all over. International students leaning at U.S universities. 

U.S cultural is has had a impact on almost all culture throughout the world. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

I have never worked anywhere that had a "race sensitivity training" nor have I ever attended any protest on or off any campus.  I know you are not afraid to speak your mind.  If you are afraid of others reactions to your views, they most certainly are Not reasonable.

HAHAHA.

Paraphrasing MLK's quote about judging people by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin is considered racist by the people who run racial sensitivity trainings. Is that a reasonable view?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

English is the most universal language due to trade.

Not due to trade, due to colonialism and the british empire.   And the vatican created the calendar that is used all over the world for business.

Edited by Desertrat56

3 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

HAHAHA.

Paraphrasing MLK's quote about judging people by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin is considered racist by the people who run racial sensitivity trainings. Is that a reasonable view?

I have no idea what you are talking about.   

9 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Not due to trade, due to colonialism and the british empire.   And the vatican created the calendar that is used all over the world for business.

Spain, france, Portugal, Germany, and Denmark (I think, one of those nords at least) all did alot of colonialism. Hence why south america primarily speaks Spanish and alot of africa speaks french. Russia, Germany, and Japan all took over large areas of land. 

But those nations all learn English as a second language since then because it's more beneficial for international trade and therefore business. All over the world. 

U.S was the primary trading power for decades. And now still is pretty close with China.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I've never mentioned I voted for Trump in 2016 at my places of employment because I'm pretty certain it would effect my chances of getting promoted.

Also universities ban right wing speakers all the time now and suspend professors for saying anything slightly politically incorrect.

Not counting the pure social pressure of not wanting to argue with you professor and the majority of your classmates. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

France is very prideful and protective of its culture and language. So I'm not suprised by this.

But I do agree that woke culture has dangerous elements in it.

Any ideology that requires forced compliance is simply corrosive.  If it were beneficial, no force would be required.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I've never mentioned I voted for Trump in 2016 at my places of employment because I'm pretty certain it would effect my chances of getting promoted.

Also universities ban right wing speakers all the time now and suspend professors for saying anything slightly politically incorrect.

Not counting the pure social pressure of not wanting to argue with you professor and the majority of your classmates. 

It should be no one's business how you vote and politics is not an appropriate conversation in the work place.  It should not have anything to do with your promotions and if you knew you lost out on one because of who you voted for you could sue.   

And in college you are supposed to expect to learn from your professor.  If the class is about politics or history that's one thing, or debate, but I don't see any reason any professor not teaching those subjects should say anything about politics.   And I know there are as many universities that invite "right wing" speakers as those you claim ban them.   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

It should be no one's business how you vote and politics is not an appropriate conversation in the work place.  It should not have anything to do with your promotions and if you knew you lost out on one because of who you voted for you could sue.   

And in college you are supposed to expect to learn from your professor.  If the class is about politics or history that's one thing, or debate, but I don't see any reason any professor not teaching those subjects should say anything about politics.   And I know there are as many universities that invite "right wing" speakers as those you claim ban them.   

It shouldn't. But hey, that's how it is for me. And I would never be able to prove it. It might be different if I wasent in the public sector. But they openly speak very left on politics.

And oh man :lol: lol. I don't think you understand the modern college scene in the U.S. College professors not talking about politics :rofl: . You can tie social justice/inequality/ consumer equity (there are alot of terms that get used), etc into any course if you want. As I learned very quickly. Pretty much anything that isn't just straight up math.

But it's even more than that. At OSU atleast many departments REQUIRE every course to have some mention of social justice/ social equity/ inequality, etc.

Or through GE requirements for degree making people take a dumb class.

A friend of mine went to a different university and literally had to take a required GE course on "History of Inequality"  or some BS like that.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

And oh man :lol: lol. I don't think you understand the modern college scene in the U.S. College professors not talking about politics :rofl: .

:tu:

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

And therein lies the problem. If you can't see how insidious & ****ed up it is to lose your job based simply on your thoughts & opinion on something, then you are part of the problem.

Who decides what is reasonable? you? twitter?

Wasilla woman fired from job for having Gab, Parler social media accounts

"A literary agent in Wasilla has been abruptly fired for having two social media accounts — one at Gab and the other at the now-defunct Parler.

According to the literary agency Jennifer De Chiara, the agent in question has been using the social media platforms.

“We do not condone this activity, and we apologize to anyone who has been affected or offended by this.” the agency wrote on Twitter."    (Twitter.....irony anyone?).

https://mustreadalaska.com/wasilla-woman-fired-from-job-for-having-gab-parler-social-media-accounts/

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, and then said:

Any ideology that requires forced compliance is simply corrosive.  If it were beneficial, no force would be required.

I honestly believe that the "market place of ideas": free and open discussion will always lead to better outcomes in the long run.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

But I wasn't under impression it's the same as going through someone's posting history. Not that there's anything wrong with that. If I type something today I should be able to explain tomorrow what I meant, why it was acceptable, do I still think the same etc.etc. 

To cancel culture it won't matter what your intentions were or that at the time it was not considered offensive.  the newer forms of cancel culture are like the inquisition of the middle ages.  They are in essence a modern day equivalent but being run by social media mobs rather than an authority such as a church.

• Thanks 3

I know a cop, I mean police officer, who decided the job wasn't for him. He went back to college to learn new skills. He always changed out of his uniform before classes and never mentioned what he did for a living. He was running late one day and didn't have time to change clothes. Over half of each class said the were traumatized by his presence. "It was a microaggression meant to intimidate them". That didn't stop them from openly harassing him for being "the problem", to put it mildly and family friendly.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Just now, Michelle said:

I know a cop, I mean police officer, who decided the job wasn't for him. He went back to college to learn new skills. He always changed out of his uniform before classes and never mentioned what he did for a living. He was running late one day and didn't have time to change clothes. Over half of each class said the were traumatized by his presence. "It was a microaggression meant to intimidate them". That didn't stop them from openly harassing him for being "the problem", to put it mildly and family friendly.

Yes, this seems like the strange sort of thing that is happening these days.

• Like 2

George Carlin, Richard Pryor and many other comedians would never make it today. The PC crowd has killed comedy.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Michelle said:

George Carlin, Richard Pryor and many other comedians would never make it today. The PC crowd has killed comedy.

Films that were made just a few years ago wouldn't be made today. The whole cancel culture ethos is a cancer, in fact it should be called 'cancer culture', it's killing off Hollywood.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Films that were made just a few years ago wouldn't be made today. The whole cancel culture ethos is a cancer.

I have watched a lot of Mel Brooks movies. The non PC movies around that era are hysterical.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Michelle said:

That has happened to a lot of police that attend classes in uniform.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I have watched a lot of Mel Brooks movies. The non PC movies around that era are hysterical.

What about one of my all time favorites :-  Gran Turino....do you think Hollywood would sign that off today?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, OverSword said:

That has happened to a lot of police that attend classes in uniform.  

I'm thankful I was done with college before the defund the police nonesense.

I know I shared this in the past but I can't help but mention again.

In 2016 after Trump won the election my instructor literally cried in front of the whole class and then took the entire time to let people talk about how sad it made them feel.

For those curious the class was Group Therapy Dynamics. Lol.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

They just had one of those for congress. :D

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I'm thankful I was done with college before the defund the police nonesense.

I know I shared this in the past but I can't help but mention again.

In 2016 after Trump won the election my instructor literally cried in from of the whole class and then took the whole time to let people talk about how sad it made them feel.

The 'takeover' of universities & teaching professions by the hard left started 20 to 30 years ago. My daughter who has taught in half a dozen schools in the last ten years or so, has learnt not to discuss politics in the staff room for that very reason, waiver even slightly to the right of the line and expect to be ostracised, take in the wrong newspaper and someone that you had friendly conversations with previously will never speak to you again, it's that bad.

The Overton window has shifted so far to the left now that what was seen as centrist politics ten years ago is now called far right. And this forum is not immune.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 3

• The topic was locked