Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US Woke Culture a Threat to French Culture

OverSword

The alumni from Berkeley must surely be disappointed or turning in their graves. At one time, they were a bastion of free speech. 

Unforgettable Change: 1960s: Free Speech Movement & The New American Left

http://picturethis.museumca.org/timeline/unforgettable-change-1960s/free-speech-movement/info

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 3

I urge every country that considers itself to have a culture to refute Americas insane left cancel culture.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

I'm thankful I was done with college before the defund the police nonesense.

I know I shared this in the past but I can't help but mention again.

In 2016 after Trump won the election my instructor literally cried in front of the whole class and then took the entire time to let people talk about how sad it made them feel.

For those curious the class was Group Therapy Dynamics. Lol.

Well, that sound appropriate.   

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, zep73 said:

Diversity is good. Social Media Lynch Mobs not so much.

Diversity by choice is great. Diversity by threat of force is bad. The political class's interest in the woke culture is to get everyone to hate each other. Divide and conquer is not a new technique, it's been around forever. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Diversity is good. I think the term cultural appropriation is dumb and antidiversity though.

Like white woman are allowed to have braids lol. Human cultural literally changes and progresses over time by adopting elements from other cultures. All people do this. 

I agree, she wants braids, who cares? The japanese have some portuguese influence in the cullinary department,should they stop cooking tempura? Or the english speaking world stop using mosquito banana zebra etc, you're stealing our language?!

If its human its human, just don't pretend its local, you like it thats fine.

Edited by godnodog
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, OverSword said:

I urge every country that considers itself to have a culture to refute Americas insane left cancel culture.  

Dont worry, the rest of the world thinks its stupid.

• Like 1

We are evolving as humans. Evolution in action, people!

Eventually our toes will grow longer, and longer.

Disadvantage: they can even more easily be stepped on;

Advantage: we will be able to swim a lot faster.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

We are evolving as humans. Evolution in action, people!

Eventually our toes will grow longer, and longer.

Disadvantage: they can even more easily be stepped on;

Advantage: we will be able to swim a lot faster.

Are you saying that in jest or are evolutionary scientist actually predicting that ? Lol

This is about the politically-correctness culture spreading around like wildfire, right?

A few days ago my brother send me an app, a joke. It was in Dutch so I had to translate it.

Then I posted it in the jokes-during-corona-time section here, and sort of expected it to be deleted.

Well, here it is:

LINK

That may look like an exaggeration of PC, but for how long?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Are you saying that in jest or are evolutionary scientist actually predicting that ? Lol

Hmmmm.... I am not sure. Have to look that one up.

18 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I have never worked anywhere that had a "race sensitivity training" nor have I ever attended any protest on or off any campus.  I know you are not afraid to speak your mind.  If you are afraid of others reactions to your views, they most certainly are Not reasonable.

An example just happened.

MMA star, actress on the hit show Mandalorian fired for a tweet.

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/11/966826718/lucasfilm-fires-gina-carano-from-the-mandalorian-over-social-media-posts

Let me show you the "contraversal" tweet.

Is it reasonable to fire people for things like this?

Well it happens and is happening all the time now. Especially in media, entertainment, politics. Anything with power.

(Meanwhile Disney edits it's content to not offend the CCP)

(The monk on Dr Strange was suppose to be a Tibetin Monk, not a white woman, but hey the CCP complained so they changed it)

Edited by spartan max2

1 hour ago, godnodog said:

Dont worry, the rest of the world thinks its stupid.

As your population gets more diverse less people will think it's stupid.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Don't worry. "Americanized" this or that is already an adjective with negative meaning. 

You guys don't like blue jeans, rock music, or McDonald's over there :o lol.

But on a serious note think you see it as all negative because you are only focusing on negative.

I work with immigrants and refugees here. 1st generation will typically see the second generation as americanizing, westernizing, they see it as negative sometimes and sometimes tolerate it.

But it means things like young people being more secular. Having more independence. Being able to choose who they marry and what career they do. Wearing less traditional clothing. Things like that. Not negative in my opinion.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Don't worry. "Americanized" this or that is already an adjective with negative meaning. 

Is that why Europe is trying to be a fledgling USA? :whistle:  JK, please do not lecture me for that question :lol:

10 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

For example, "Why he suddenly resigned?" "Because he wanted to Americanize our health care."  

So, while I generally agree that American influence is not something to be accepted blindly, I must disagree about American left being the only ones with stupid ideas. Firstly, you've still got no left in the US and the slightly lefty centre is obviously wasting their time on verbal talibanery (such as that genderophobia.... yeah, anyone can invent new words... I'd cancel that... ) instead of stopping sadistic orgy of conservatives that keep people uninsured and homeless, blasphemously hiding behind Jesus while they're hating and hurting their neighbours. 

And it has little to do with being responsible for what you've said and done, ever. Responsibility is not something the "left" is asking from you, it's what sanity and decency are demanding from you. 

Personally, I said and I still say things that might be horrible for some. So? That's my opinion. I don't have the same opinion I used to have 30 years ago, but I can elaborate what has changed and why and use my own example to show what a path from a rabid bigot to relatively tolerant person looks like.  

But you've got some trumpers and similar bottom of political life who want to keep blathering disgusting, bigoted crap while not being held responsible for it. It won't work. Because it's not the fault of the "left" if the "right" can't stand behind their own words. 

Here is the thing, cancel culture is not strictly an American phenomena, it's an internet phenomena.  It's biggest here because we have the most connectivity, but I have no doubt there are young people in Croatia who are already applying this doctrine.  

13 minutes ago, OverSword said:

As your population gets more diverse less people will think it's stupid.

my location is quite diverse, there is no problem with this "appropriation" thing, but I understand your point.

Edited by godnodog
I hate cellphones

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Here is the thing, cancel culture is not strictly an American phenomena, it's an internet phenomena.  It's biggest here because we have the most connectivity, but I have no doubt there are young people in Croatia who are already applying this doctrine.  

you do have it here in Europe but nowhere close to US levels, internet or not.

10 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

You guys don't like blue jeans, rock music, or McDonald's over there :o lol.

But on a serious note think you see it as all negative because you are only focusing on negative.

I work with immigrants and refugees here. 1st generation will typically see the second generation as americanizing, westernizing, they see it as negative sometimes and sometimes tolerate it.

But it means things like young people being more secular. Having more independence. Being able to choose who they marry and what career they do. Wearing less traditional clothing. Things like that. Not negative in my opinion.

Ew, McDon'talds... :lol:  It's awful compared to real food. I admit, these chicken nuggets things are tempting, but it's some form of spongy substance in there, not the actual meat. 

I know not everything's negative. But it's important to recognize and reject the negative, so that the positive is not tainted.  

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, OverSword said:

But don't forget: the Americans also gave us "Family Guy" and "South Park" to compensate for all their political correctness.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Ew, McDon'talds... :lol:  It's awful compared to real food. I admit, these chicken nuggets things are tempting, but it's some form of spongy substance in there, not the actual meat. 

I know not everything's negative. But it's important to recognize and reject the negative, so that the positive is not tainted.  

I eat the McDonald's breakfast mcmuffins ad my guilty pleasure every once in a while haha.

Columbus is also a fast food test market for the U.S because they think we have the right mix of rural/urban/ college/ poor or whatever.

So, like it's my duty to try the test food out :innocent: lol

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Is that why Europe is trying to be a fledgling USA? :whistle:  JK, please do not lecture me for that question :lol:

:lol: 

It's a complex matter I'll lecture you about on some different occasion :D 

6 minutes ago, OverSword said:

So cancel the cancel culture. Play their game. I just gave you an example: if you can't say your mother's your mother, then it's genderophobic and I demand my mother's femininity to be clearly articulated or it's also misogynistic. See? Anyone can play that game, until everyone's sick of it. 

But you avoided the point - you've got bigots whining because they want to say bigoted stuff while not being held responsible for that. They'll have to grow up and grow a pair and be able to either defend their position, either shut up. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Abramelin said:

But don't forget: the Americans also gave us "Family Guy" and "South Park" to compensate for all their political correctness.

Sure but how many of those shows could exist today if they won't already established?

The creator of The Office has said that he does not believe they would of been allowed to air if they started it today.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

I admit, these chicken nuggets things are tempting, but it's some form of spongy substance in there, not the actual meat. 

Soy beans.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Helen of Annoy said:

:lol: 

It's a complex matter I'll lecture you about on some different occasion :D 

So cancel the cancel culture. Play their game. I just gave you an example: if you can't say your mother's your mother, then it's genderophobic and I demand my mother's femininity to be clearly articulated or it's also misogynistic. See? Anyone can play that game, until everyone's sick of it. 

But you avoided the point - you've got bigots whining because they want to say bigoted stuff while not being held responsible for that. They'll have to grow up and grow a pair and be able to either defend their position, either shut up. 

Do you know what you just did?  You said something that will offend marginalized people.  Not everyone that gives birth is female.  You are now a monster and we will look up every post you've made since 1994 and find something that will get thousands of people to demand the company you work for fire you or all of these people will boycott your business.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• The topic was locked