Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Musk: 'seeking aliens is a waste of time'

UM-Bot

Didn't watch a single interview with him, but I'm not a fan. Still, he said what a lot of people are thinking; the aliens are awfully subtle... if they exist. 

Does anyone know if he was asked specifically about UFO-S, not aliens?

1 hour ago, CloudSix said:

Didn't watch a single interview with him, but I'm not a fan. Still, he said what a lot of people are thinking; the aliens are awfully subtle... if they exist. 

Does anyone know if he was asked specifically about UFO-S, not aliens?

Some definitions:

Alien : a person in a country who is not a national of that country...

Space-alien : An extraterrestrial being; a visitor from outer space...

So technically he say that nobody visited us... if they would, it would be blatant. And it's probably a waste of time indeed to search for them.

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

Some definitions:

I don't see why an extraterrestrial being needs to pay a visit in order to qualify for that title. Do you have a source for those definitions?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Rolci said:

I don't see why an extraterrestrial being needs to pay a visit in order to qualify for that title. Do you have a source for those definitions?

If we go to Mars, we are an alien to Mars. If a Martian go to earth, he is an alien to earth.

Alien mean coming from elsewhere, out of places, etc. 

Same problems seen with ''UFO'' that doesnt means extraterrestrial ship, but only ''Unidentified Flying Object''... it can be a mylar balloon or a trowed dog s***t.

It's why the wording is important and like you asked ''Does anyone know if he was asked specifically about UFO-S, not aliens?'' can change utterly the meaning of what he said...

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

Some definitions:

So technically he say that nobody visited us... if they would, it would be blatant. And it's probably a waste of time indeed to search for them.

Thanks for the answer, although I'm not sure that I asked about the difference between an immigrant alien and a space alien :D I'm not a native English speaker, but I do know the difference between those two.

Also, I understand that he said that, but I'm asking if anyone who watched the interview, knows if he was asked about UFO-s specifically?

14 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

If we go to Mars, we are an alien to Mars. If a Martian go to earth, he is an alien to earth.

Same problems seen with ''UFO'' that doesnt means extraterrestrial ship, but only ''Unidentified Flying Object''... it can be a mylar balloon or a trowed dog s***t.

It's why the wording is important and like you asked ''Does anyone know if he was asked specifically about UFO-S, not aliens?'' can change utterly the meaning of what he said...

According to your "definition": "Space-alien : An extraterrestrial being; a visitor from outer space"

So you're saying a sentient being living on Mars and staying on Mars doesn't qualify as space alien, because it didn't visit Earth? Interesting....

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

Well we're talking about Elon Musk and the link in the OP said that he was asked by Joe Rogan about aliens visiting Earth. To me, that means aliens  from outer space.

And if I asked about UFO-s-, I meant unidentified flying objects.

And I'm not sure what is your point :)

28 minutes ago, CloudSix said:

Well we're talking about Elon Musk and the link in the OP said that he was asked by Joe Rogan about aliens visiting Earth. To me, that means aliens  from outer space.

And if I asked about UFO-s-, I meant unidentified flying objects.

And I'm not sure what is your point :)

Aliens from outer space, if they came here, yep they are alien from outer space.

If they stay in outer space, they are technically extra terrestrial beings, but not alien because they have not come here...

Stiff, if they decide to come to earth, they can become aliens.

If you asked about UFO, you mean something that fly and is not identified ? If you mean an ''alien spaceship'' (a spaceship coming from elsewhere, so an alien ship) it's not an UFO anymore....

Why ? because you know it's an extraterrestrial ship....you have identified it and you know what it is.

41 minutes ago, Rolci said:

According to your "definition": "Space-alien : An extraterrestrial being; a visitor from outer space"

So you're saying a sentient being living on Mars and staying on Mars doesn't qualify as space alien, because it didn't visit Earth? Interesting....

Yep, alien means from abroad. So if we go to their home, we are aliens and if they come here they are aliens...  SO a sentient being from Mars is a Martian, and a Martian on earth is an alien from Mars.

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 2

But If I'm from Earth and I'm talking about extraterrestrial beings, which I am, then I will call them aliens. Which I did.

And i asked about UFO-s, not about extraterrestrial ships.

If your point is that I should have been explicit about what kind of aliens I"m talking about and what do I mean when I say UFO, in a conversation about Elon Musk and "aliens", then I dont understand why that is your point. 

Edited by CloudSix

So much alien talk...and so little proof. I get depressed.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jon the frog said:

Stiff, if they decide to come to earth, they can become aliens.

icon_beuj.gif Err, OK.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't agree with Mr. Musk, that it's a waste of time to search for extraterrestrial civilizations. I do agree with him, though, that any ETs aware of our existence must be classed as, as Musk puts it, -- 'subtle'.  Perhaps this is because we're expected to take part in the process that will elicit open contact with them. Mr. Musk's attitude seems to be that we passively wait to be shown that extraterrestrials exist, without contributing anything to the solution of the problem, ourselves.

If we have the openness and imagination to work to discover extraterrestrial civilizations, perhaps that will help  us make ourselves worthy of being openly contacted by them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bison said:

I don't agree with Mr. Musk, that it's a waste of time to search for extraterrestrial civilizations. I do agree with him, though, that any ETs aware of our existence must be classed as, as Musk puts it, -- 'subtle'.  Perhaps this is because we're expected to take part in the process that will elicit open contact with them. Mr. Musk's attitude seems to be that we passively wait to be shown that extraterrestrials exist, without contributing anything to the solution of the problem, ourselves.

If we have the openness and imagination to work to discover extraterrestrial civilizations, perhaps that will help  us make ourselves worthy of being openly contacted by them. 

I agree.

If they exist and they are subtle, they are subtle for a reason, not because they're intimidated in any way.

If someone told me 2 years ago that we'll all be wearing a mask while entering a store or that we'll discard handshakes as a way of greeting, I would call them crazy.

So maybe one day it will be normal that there is a friendly civilization a couple of light years away :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why would aliens make themselves overtly known to humans?

Humans are here but, we will be wiped out in due course. Given the vastness of space, there'd be little point in reaching out as we won't be here by the time they arrive.

Far better: study water, geology, plants... stuff that has real longevity.

If they happen to overtly arrive and we are still here then that's a happy coincidence.

Of course ET-Aliens exist. My wife has often exclaimed to myself and others that I'm from another planet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Of course ET-Aliens exist. My wife has often exclaimed to myself and others that I'm from another planet. 

You mean you disagreed with her on something?

Yeah, I know the feeling.

• Like 1

But, Elon, who's going to build the next pyramids? 

I don't agree it's a waste of time to look. But what I think he means, is that it's a waste of time right now because if there are any intelligent aliens out there, they're likely too far away for us to make contact with our current technology. And if any of them were actually visiting us, we'd know. They obviously are not. 

23 hours ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

If they happen to overtly arrive and we are still here then that's a happy coincidence.

Maybe. We have to know if there's beings so advanced that they can traverse interstellar space, we'd be like bugs compared to them technologically. You know what happens when more technologically advanced civilizations meet less advanced ones? The Aztecs know. Only this time, instead of being a couple of hundred years more advanced, they'd probably be at least thousands of years ahead. Maybe they'd just leave us alone and study us because we'd be like interesting primitive zoo creatures to them. But if they wanted something, they could just take it, and if they wanted to wipe us out, there would be nothing we could do. 

On 2/15/2021 at 12:56 AM, pallidin said:

She's right isn't she?

Man Mars

Women Venus. 

On 2/14/2021 at 3:52 PM, Hyperionxvii said:

But, Elon, who's going to build the next pyramids? 

I don't agree it's a waste of time to look. But what I think he means, is that it's a waste of time right now because if there are any intelligent aliens out there, they're likely too far away for us to make contact with our current technology. And if any of them were actually visiting us, we'd know. They obviously are not. 

Why would we know if they visited us?