Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Parkland school shooting remembered

Eldorado

Sorrow reverberated across the country Sunday as Americans, including President Joe Biden, joined a Florida community in remembering the 17 lives lost three years ago in the Parkland school shooting massacre.

“In seconds, the lives of dozens of families, and the life of an American community, were changed forever,” Biden said in a statement released Sunday.

The president used the occasion to call on Congress to strengthen gun laws, including requiring background checks on all gun sales and banning assault weapons.

NBC Miami report

• Like 3

If the Feds use this to pass outrageous infringements on 2A, I think they'll light a fire they aren't capable of controlling.  Between their efforts to criminalize politics, THIS will be the straw.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, and then said:

If the Feds use this to pass outrageous infringements on 2A, I think they'll light a fire they aren't capable of controlling.  Between their efforts to criminalize politics, THIS will be the straw.

Assault weapons have been banned before without starting a civil war. It seems to some that anything to do with strengthening gun laws, gun control, access, licensing, mandatory training, etc..is seen as infringing on the 2A right to keep and bear arms.

That doesn't sound like a well regulated Militia to me.

8 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

At the time that was written "well regulated" meant well equipped. Of course you can find those that dispute that and they're the same ones that use "provide for the General Welfare" to mean something it does not.

In June 1776, one month before the signing of the Declaration of Independence, Virginia became the first colony to adopt a state constitution. In this document, the state of Virginia pronounced that "a well regulated Militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State." After the colonies declared their independence from England, other states began to include the right to bear arms in their constitution. Pennsylvania, for example, declared that the people have a right to bear arms for the defense of themselves and the state; and as standing armies in the time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; And that the military should be kept under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.

well regulated definition 1776 - Bing

Even back then Virginia's Militia was trained, something 2A advocates would decry as a condition to owning a weapon.

The Supreme Court held: (1) The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.

we go thru this militia thing in every gun thread, why can't people that comment on it, learn the laws\rulings before commenting??? it is getting really annoying already. 

Look here's the thing people. Gun control is going to happen eventually because, and this is gonna be a liiiittle controversial: People don't like incels shooting their kids. 

So here's what's gonna happen, there's a few ways this can go.

1. You can either contribute to the conversation about what form gun control is going to take, how things are going to work to reduce the amount of school shootings and gun violence, and come up with something you can at least tolerate that helps the situation

2. You can just pout and refuse to help, at which point the adults in the room will pass laws you likely won't enjoy has much as option one. 

People are just not going to tolerate the mass shooting epidemic we have going on, so you can either try to fix it with the rest of society, or the rest of society will fix it without you. 

7 hours ago, South Alabam said:

Assault weapons have been banned before without starting a civil war. It seems to some that anything to do with strengthening gun laws, gun control, access, licensing, mandatory training, etc..is seen as infringing on the 2A right to keep and bear arms.

Yeah but it was a half ass attempt because at the time we could still buy older semi-auto rifles, which really defeated that so-called 1994 assault weapons ban. The corporate Dems didn't really give a rat's ass back then, because if they were really behind gun control, they would have banned ALL semi-auto rifles and not limited the ban for only ten years. So their half ass attempts on that spoke volumes to me, they were just trying to appease the anti-gun activists to shut them up for a while.

I don't see a big change happening with Biden in office again, because he's just another corporate democrat. You might get some federal level red flag laws, but that's about it I'd wager.

Because you know what? It would take a helluva lot of progressives in control of the government, the supreme court abolished or no conservative judges on that panel, and the deconstruction of the Constitution before you would ever see major changes on gun control here in the States. And then change would have to be made at each state level as well for each state.

Edited by Gunn

1 hour ago, Gunn said:

Yeah but it was a half ass attempt because at the time we could still buy older semi-auto rifles, which really defeated that so-called 1994 assault weapons ban. The corporate Dems didn't really give a rat's ass back then, because if they were really behind gun control, they would have banned ALL semi-auto rifles and not limited the ban for only ten years. So their half ass attempts on that spoke volumes to me, they were just trying to appease the anti-gun activists to shut them up for a while.

I don't see a big change happening with Biden in office again, because he's just another corporate democrat. You might get some federal level red flag laws, but that's about it I'd wager.

Because you know what? It would take a helluva lot of progressives in control of the government, the supreme court abolished or no conservative judges on that panel, and the deconstruction of the Constitution before you would ever see major changes on gun control here in the States. And then change would have to be made at each state level as well for each state.

they already have in some jurisdictions, 

59 minutes ago, aztek said:

they already have in some jurisdictions, 

Yep where you live that's for sure. I hope you decide to retire somewhere down south someday (hint - Florida - hint :D) and get away from that BS up North. Because the conservatives in their own Southern states won't ever tolerate any kind of gun control like you got up there. It will always stop with the Southern conservative states. Too many of us down here that won't even entertain those type of laws in our state senates. ;)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gunn said:

Yep where you live that's for sure. I hope you decide to retire somewhere down south someday (hint - Florida - hint :D) and get away from that BS up North. Because the conservatives in their own Southern states won't ever tolerate any kind of gun control like you got up there. It will always stop with the Southern conservative states. Too many of us down here that won't even entertain those type of laws in our state senates. ;)

i would definitely love to do it one day.