Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Abramelin

Dikes? No, raising the land artificially

Abramelin

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/257189213Optimizingtheprocessofsulphuricacidinjectioninto_limestones

The project aims at the neutralization of industrial waste sulphuric acid by means of injection into subsurface limestones. Hereby, gypsum is formed, which occupies twice the volume of the replaced calcite. The solid phase volume increase at depth might induce uplift at the surface. At the same time, waste acid is neutralized and many pollutants in the waste acid are immobilized. Research is focused on techniques to inject acid into limestone, whilst maintaining a sufficiently high permeability, both from mechanical and geochemical perspective. The relation between transport, reaction, rock properties and gypsum precipitation has been investigated experimentally. Mixtures of hydrochloric and sulphuric acid are suitable for creating pathways (`wormholes') for fluid flow, thereby contributing to an effective transformation of limestones into gypsum.

This is an oldie, but what it actually suggested was, that if there is enough limestone far underground, you can use industrial waste sulferic acid to react with the limestone to form calciumsulphate. Calciumsulphate crystals have a much larger volume than calciumcarbonate (lime) crystals and so, if it formed underground, it could lift the surface.

How much? You tell me. I couldn't find any follow-up papers, but I do remember they have done experiments.

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 3

Still Waters

Abramelin

I found an article in Dutch about the experiments:

link

Maybe Google translater can make something sensible out of it.

I also found a better online article in the Dutch newspaper "De Volkskrant", but I can only view it when I pay for it first. The bstrds.

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 1

jmccr8

Hi Rob

Interesting idea but will have to look for more material to read on the topic. It would be interesting to know how many square miles/kilometers of surface are that needed to be raised and how high. It would be a massive project and would think that several areas would need to be worked at the same time.

jmccr8

• Thanks 1

Abramelin
12 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Rob

Interesting idea but will have to look for more material to read on the topic. It would be interesting to know how many square miles/kilometers of surface are that needed to be raised and how high. It would be a massive project and would think that several areas would need to be worked at the same time.

jmccr8

Good luck finding more material. I have tried for more than an hour, but all I found is another paper describing exactly the same thing, or some article in Dutch with a tiny bit of extra info.

• Thanks 1

jmccr8
50 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Good luck finding more material. I have tried for more than an hour, but all I found is another paper describing exactly the same thing, or some article in Dutch with a tiny bit of extra info.

Hi Rob

I will try and look at fracking in the oil industry here and see if there is something that may be relevant and will let you know.

jmccr8

• Thanks 1