Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The cancel culture run wild

Myles

13 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

Not everyone in the south were racist during the Civil war era. That was merely the dresses worn during that era, and to believe that insinuates racism is shortsighted, ignorant, and foolish. 

It could even be said that someone chastising someone for wearing a certain dress is himself/herself actually being racist.  Reminds me of the "why bother with the mote in your brother's eye when you need to remove the plank in your own"   (not sure the exact quote)

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

The Bachelor and Bachelorette shows are stupid enough without that kind of crap, besides what women would be on that show except debutants who haven't found a husband yet and crazy women who just want to be on TV?

I agree and have never watched the shows.   I stopped my daughter from watching them because the little I seen of them was pretty shallow.   

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

Not everyone in the south were racist during the Civil war era. That was merely the dresses worn during that era, and to believe that insinuates racism is shortsighted, ignorant, and foolish. 

Yes.    Doing what they did is equating all girls from the south as being racist.   Smart people knew this wasn't true.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Myles said:

After hearing the host of the Bachelor was forced to take a leave and apologize for defending a girl who went to a Southern Belle party years ago, I'm seeing how crazy this has become.  A few girls dressing up in fancy dresses gets them in trouble.   Pretty stupid.  

Not 'Southern Belle' party; it's an antebellum party, or an 'Old South' party.

• Like 2

Just one question whats a southern belle / antebellum party.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, diddyman68 said:

You know how men like to re-enact the civil war, this is the female version of that, a re-enactment.  

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, diddyman68 said:

A party where people at the least wear clothes that were popular amongst wealthy Southern plantation owners in the Antebellum period, which was the period roughly between the nation's founding and the Civil War and the period where American slavery was in full flourish.  Yea, it's such a mystery why people may not think celebrating elements of this era is something to be lauded... :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, rashore said:

Is it this story?

Chris Harrison Is Under Fire For His Response To Rachael Kirkconnell Attending An Antebellum Party: https://www.buzzfeed.com/ehisosifo1/chris-harrison-defending-rachael-kirkconnell-backlash

The writer of that article has so many slants and issues it can't even be credible, "From the jump, Chris's language seemed a lil'...too forgiving. Now, I'm not putting words in the man's mouth, but it sounds like he's confusing "getting canceled" with "asking someone to take accountability for their actions:"

What a b****y way to look at it.   It would be like someone calling a bunch of kids hitting a pinata to get candy racists.  Good lord, the mainstream media is getting more and more stupid and anyone who pays attention to this crap is a zombie.   He had no right to ask anyone to take accountability for anything, he is on the Bachelor show!!!  

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

You know how men like to re-enact the civil war, this is the female version of that, a re-enactment.  

Oh right thanks.well I don't see anything offensive in that whatsoever.

So are the offended saying ,basically anyone doing anything connected to the southern side during the civil war are bigoted racist etc ?.

If so it sounds pretty small minded.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

A party where people at the least wear clothes that were popular amongst wealthy Southern plantation owners in the Antebellum period, which was the period roughly between the nation's founding and the Civil War and the period where American slavery was in full flourish.  Yea, it's such a mystery why people may not think celebrating elements of this era is something to be lauded... :rolleyes:

It's a damn costume party!   So what, I am sure there are british equivalents as well as French and Spanish etc.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, diddyman68 said:

Oh right thanks.well I don't see anything offensive in that whatsoever.

So are the offended saying ,basically anyone doing anything connected to the southern side during the civil war are bigoted racist etc ?.

If so it sounds pretty small minded.

It is small minded in my opinion.   It is drama over nothing to create a new way to keep people divided.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

The writer of that article has so many slants and issues it can't even be credible, "From the jump, Chris's language seemed a lil'...too forgiving. Now, I'm not putting words in the man's mouth, but it sounds like he's confusing "getting canceled" with "asking someone to take accountability for their actions:"

What a b****y way to look at it.   It would be like someone calling a bunch of kids hitting a pinata to get candy racists.  Good lord, the mainstream media is getting more and more stupid and anyone who pays attention to this crap is a zombie.   He had no right to ask anyone to take accountability for anything, he is on the Bachelor show!!!  

The first couple tabloids about this were even worse than this one, heh. Tabloids and such. I'm not much into TV drama, just wanted to know if that's the story in question since the OP was just a pop-off without any news or story attached to it. 

Edit to add.. another story about this I think... 

'The Bachelor' Frontrunner on Problematic Past: "My Ignorance Was Racist": https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/the-bachelor-frontrunner-on-problematic-past-my-ignorance-was-racist

• Like 2

Related 'cancel culture' UK Guardian article....

How should we address Charles Darwin's complicated legacy?

The Descent of Man, 150 years old this month, is a work of humanist brilliance – yet its errors, particularly on sex, now make for uncomfortable reading,

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

So no one should ever dress up in old british style clothing because of colonialism, right?

Cmon spartan, you know what a strawman is.  Unless you are saying the Antebellum south, which didn't have anything to actually do with 'colonialism', is just like British colonialism.

5 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Cmon spartan, you know what a strawman is.  Unless you are saying the Antebellum south, which didn't have anything to actually do with 'colonialism', is just like British colonialism.

I'm equating something bad, colonialism, with something else bad, slavery. In fact the two often go together.

So if some girl wearing a dress of the southern style back then is bad then it is also bad for someone to wear the clothes british wore during the british empire. I don't see what difference there is.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

You are missing the point!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

You are missing the point!

What point?  Try elucidating it.  I hope it's not that you can't think of the differences between the Antebellum south and the war they fought specifically to preserve slavery/racism and British colonialism?  

I mean, duly noted, of course you aren't personally offended by this, no reason that white people should be.  On what basis do you think a black person doesn't have legitimate objections to this?  If people wear white sheets and hoods or certain armbands, do you realize that even if it's just in a 'costume party' that people may legitimately object to it?

• Confused 2

48 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

What point?  Try elucidating it.  I hope it's not that you can't think of the differences between the Antebellum south and the war they fought specifically to preserve slavery/racism and British colonialism?  

I mean, duly noted, of course you aren't personally offended by this, no reason that white people should be.  On what basis do you think a black person doesn't have legitimate objections to this?  If people wear white sheets and hoods or certain armbands, do you realize that even if it's just in a 'costume party' that people may legitimately object to it?

Snowflake attitude does not become you.  Remember that offense is taken, not given and the context of this has nothing to do with the KKK and the antebellum party is no different than someone having a costume party where people dress in the clothing rich british people wore when they were invading India et al.  You are splitting hairs that don't exist.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1