Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The cancel culture run wild

Myles

9 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Snowflake attitude does not become you. 

Haha, you are nothing but predictable; the personal attacks usually start taking the place of you actually responding to points right about this point in a conversation pretty consistently.

Remember that offense is taken, not given

I don't have to 'remember' something that is merely your opinion.

the context of this has nothing to do with the KKK and the antebellum party is no different than someone having a costume party where people dress in the clothing rich british people wore when they were invading India et al.

You just got all worked up and blew it off as just 'a costume party'.  You of course didn't address what I noted, but we'll take that as 'you won't defend wearing Klan hoods to a costume party', so maybe you do understand that the 'costume party' part of it is sometimes irrelevant.  These are not merely 'southern dresses', most southern women at the time could only dream of being able to afford them, they are the southern dresses that are closely related to southern plantations.  Southern plantations are closely tied to slavery, duh, and if you are actually aware of American history you should be familiar with how bad the bad things were that went on there.  Again, which rich british people went to war specifically to preserve slavery and where?  Are there a lot of people wearing these british outfits in India?

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Erm…If you weren't a Native American, you were a colonialist.

"Erm"... what 'colonization' was done by the antebellum south?

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Haha, you are nothing but predictable; the personal attacks usually start taking the place of you actually responding to points right about this point in a conversation pretty consistently.

I don't have to 'remember' something that is merely your opinion.

You just got all worked up and blew it off as just 'a costume party'.  You of course didn't address what I noted, but we'll take that as 'you won't defend wearing Klan hoods to a costume party', so maybe you do understand that the 'costume party' part of it is sometimes irrelevant.  These are not merely 'southern dresses', most southern women at the time could only dream of being able to afford them, they are the southern dresses that are closely related to southern plantations.  Southern plantations are closely tied to slavery, duh, and if you are actually aware of American history you should be familiar with how bad the bad things were that went on there.  Again, which rich british people went to war specifically to preserve slavery and where?  Are there a lot of people wearing these british outfits in India?

You seem to be taking something personal.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Ha, way to prove my point.

41 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Ha, way to prove my point.

The point which seems to be missed by you is that every period of history is offensive to some. Ancient Egypt? Offensive to Jewish people who were enslaved. Colonialist Britain? Half the worlds indigenous populations were denied self government (among many, many worse fates)

Picking on fancy dresses, which in the last 50 years in the south have evolved into an inclusive celebration for young female graduates, are not the hill to die on. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

Women's fashion. Northern women wore hoop skirts and ballgowns too. They wore them in England. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

The point which seems to be missed by you is that every period of history is offensive to some.

As you seem to be missing that not all causes of offense are equal.  Do you disagree?  I assume not, since one of the points here seems to be that it's silly to see anything offensive in celebrating aspects like this of the old South.

Ancient Egypt? Offensive to Jewish people who were enslaved.

It is?   Do you have a citation from Jewish people who are offended?  I'm unaware of that.  And to what I said above, if you go over to the Spirituality boards one of the typical excuses for why the Bible doesn't condemn slavery is that one shouldn't think that refers to American chattel slavery was far worse than the flavor at the time of the ancient Hebrews.

Half the worlds indigenous populations were denied self government (among many, many worse fates)

Yes, and?  And it would be ridiculous for us to question the propriety of celebrating specific aspects of those cultures directly linked to the places and systems where the oppression took place?  Because?

are not the hill to die on. 

Whoa whoa let's not take this too seriously, this is just a discussion forum.  I didn't actually say anything about my finding it offensive, I'm just definitely not going to tell black people what they should and should not be offended by concerning things intimately linked to slavery and the Confederacy.  Typically the phrase 'not the hill to die on' is used for something that someone else agrees is correct but not worth fighting for; I don't know if that means you agree that you do see how someone may think, in this The Bachelor's contestant/host case, at the least this 'isn't a good look' (especially during the first season ever with a black Bachelor?).

Edited by Liquid Gardens
  • Thanks 1

They should never have been imported from England. The fad didn't last as long as it did there though.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Michelle said:

They should never have been imported from England. The fad didn't last as long as it did there though.

They don't look comfortable. Not for walking or for sitting. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, susieice said:

They don't look comfortable. Not for walking or for sitting. 

Considering most immigrants to the Americas weren't rich they were a decadent luxury for rare occasions. Just like today.

Powdered wigs are still in use over there in England. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Considering most immigrants to the Americas weren't rich they were a decadent luxury for rare occasions. Just like today.

Powdered wigs are still in use over there in England. 

There were frames that you wore to lay the dress on. Some called them cages. How in the world could you sit down? I found a couple of funny cartoons though.

Image result for what does the frame for a hoop skirt look like

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

The Bachelor and Bachelorette shows are stupid .....

Now we know where Myles gets most of his cultural direction.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, and then said:

The "cancel culture" seems like a form of mass hysteria with a side of viciousness.

I think it serves the purpose of removing all ties to a common past so that the "new bosses" can tell us what is of value and what isn't. It makes me wonder how long it will be before simply trashing a person's career out of spite, is no longer enough damage done.  

Please stop making sense.

It's never ever happened before, and is therefore extremely unnerving.

:D

Edited by acute
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, susieice said:

How in the world could you sit down?

You don't!

Your mission is to swan around, looking attractive and delightful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, acute said:

You don't!

Your mission is to swan around, looking attractive and delightful.

I guess I don't get dinner? :lol: Women sat at tables wearing this getup. That had to hurt. They were sitting on that frame.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, susieice said:

That had to hurt.

Women went through a lot, like whale-bone corsets and 4 layers of undergarments. :(

Edited by acute
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, acute said:

They went through a lot, like whale-bone corsets and 4 layers of undergarments. :(

Those are illegal nowadays, right?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

Those are illegal nowadays, right?

You can get them at Victoria's Secret. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, acute said:

You can get them at Victoria's Secret. ;)

Nope, those should be illegal too, anything with wire in it.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

Nope, those should be illegal too, anything with wire in it.   

Really?

Are underwired bras illegal over there?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, acute said:

Really?

No, I said they should be.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, acute said:

Really?

They really should be. Those wires work their way through and they hurt.

• Like 4