Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The cancel culture run wild

Myles

23 minutes ago, smanthaonvaca said:

Yeah, and I'm a woman too? I'm perfectly aware of that. The thing is, my picture was a reference to a movie. As a joke. My comment was not about down playing what anyone went through. How is your joke any different?

I didn't mean to offend you. I thought we were discussing dresses.

7 minutes ago, susieice said:

I didn't mean to offend you. I thought we were discussing dresses.

I was under the impression my joke offended you because you believed I didnt know about the history of womens dress restrictions

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smanthaonvaca said:

I was under the impression my joke offended you because you believed I didnt know about the history of womens dress restrictions

I'm sure you do. I'm thankful for the changes that have happened over the last hundred years. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, smanthaonvaca said:

They have been scrutinizing people for years for "appropriation" or "political ties" but it's just a way to discredit so they can colonize on and profit off of fashion and i

The one absolute certainty is that if someone wants to find a reason to be angry or hate they'll do so and nothing will stop them.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, and then said:

The one absolute certainty is that if someone wants to find a reason to be angry or hate they'll do so and nothing will stop them.

Cancel culture is confusing because it's unpredictable in a sense that it is done from emotion more than logic. It's meant to manipulate the feelings of others. Sometimes I am sure they are about to cancel something that seems to stick out like a sore thumb... They don't. The schedule shifts chaotically. Instead they go after something spontaneous like the Big Bang Theory or Icke. Why? Because they just felt like it? Who knows. Maybe someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed and didn't plan it accordingly. TV shows, music, movies, books, whatever it is, it's probably all censoring for a kind of power trip.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, smanthaonvaca said:

it's probably all censoring for a kind of power trip.

That's the impression I've gotten.  It seems to be a kind of competition to see who can be the most "woke", whatever the hell THAT'S supposed to mean...

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, and then said:

That's the impression I've gotten.  It seems to be a kind of competition to see who can be the most "woke", whatever the hell THAT'S supposed to mean...

I had originally thought it was collectivist rage over appearing to be the most righteous regardless of any actual personal beliefs or politics, and serving the conjunction of conglomerates and famous as something like a God. The term holds ambiguity now and is fluid towards politics and government...

I always find these easter eggs on the internet. Here is a definition listed on the site:

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/conservative?s=t

They list "fuddy duddy" "uncreative" "unimaginative" " redneck" among some other words on the definition of conservative but for woke there really isn't anything politically defined but they may have it under the antonym or something related (on this website). Oddly biased for a defintions website.

Under the antonym (below). I wonder who wrote these definitions for both parties and where they were drawing the line between general definitions and political definitions??

I can see "exaggerated" "unstable" and "radical" being the most fitting for " woke" but I would think to add arrogant and self-righteous.

OPPOSITES OF conservative

MOST RELEVANT

19 minutes ago, seanjo said:

That has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever read...If you are of European/Non Native American descent in the US, you are continuing colonisation...The Americas are one big European colony.

You could just look up the definition for 'colonization' if you're struggling with it.  The question wasn't has colonization occurred, it's what does it have to do with chattel slavery in the south and something about  wearing British clothing is like wearing these dresses.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DarkHunter said:

Could be argued a large amount of the indentured servants were treated significantly worse then slaves.  

I don't think so.  You just pointed out a major difference, "once an indentured servants period of work was up..." - that doesn't apply to American slavery, that 'period of work' has no definite end. The wiki entry on 'indentured servitude' notes, 

While the transportation of indentured workers across the Atlantic was not pleasant for them, it was far safer and more comfortable than the treatment given to enslaved (captured) black people. They were passengers, not property. They had rights and, at least theoretically, access to the legal system. Mortality was far lower and bodies were not thrown overboard.

In contrast with the enslaved, indentured workers could usually marry, move about locally as long as the work got done, read whatever they wanted, and take classes.

Whereas southern slaves had their children and family taken away and sold, and were bred with each other like farm animals.  Indentured servants in general seemed to have it significantly better.  

18 hours ago, diddyman68 said:

Just one question whats a southern belle / antebellum party.

They dress up like Gone With The Wind, sip Mint Julips and talk silly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

They dress up like Gone With The Wind, sip Mint Julips and talk silly.

Just like the racist Kentucky Derby?

You can argue that everything is racist.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, susieice said:

I've seen a group of young girls dress up in old Victorian fashion to hold a Victorian tea party. Maybe it's just a girl thing. I think you're reading more into this than what is really there. Fashion didn't really get political until the 20's when hemlines went up for the first time since the 1400's, at least, and women started to demand to wear pants. They went to jail for that. Even myself, I couldn't wear pants to school until I was almost in high school. I had to wear dresses. And then only dress pants. No jeans. That was the late 60's, early 70's.

The wealthy set the fashion trends. They always have and they do today.

Sometimes people want to be incensed and outraged and apparently this triggered something for LG.   It was meant to, that was the whole point of the articles on this and the behavior of the people on the idiot show, to get people upset and LG fell for it.   

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Agent0range said:

When we talk about cancel culture...keep in mind...we have heard people on here saying I won't buy this, I won't shop there, I won't watch the NFL, I won't watch the NBA.  Those posters are the same ones complaining about "cancel culture."  I haven't seen anything from left leaning posters saying they are boycotting something.  If I'm wrong, show me I'm wrong.  I'll pick up some chick-fil-a on my way to hobby lobby on any day that's not a Sunday.  

I have been accused of being "left leaning" and I won't buy anything with the Nestle name on it but I also recognize that we don't have to allow the "cancel culture" to thrive.   There has to be some critical thinking, rational reasoning that is missing from those who want to chastise people for being themselves or a product of their environment.   "Woke" means zombie as far as I can tell.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, susieice said:

The thing is, this wasn't a movie. This is how women dressed for hundreds of years. The dress here has lots of ruffles but the skirt is too narrow. Many of those dresses were beautiful and totally feminine but women in the 1920's wanted freedom. They lost the hoop skirt frames and the whale bone corsets and the bloomers and began to dress in clothing that was much more formfitting but they didn't give up dresses. Katherine Hepburn was among the first actresses to be known for wearing pants. That didn't become more popular until the late 40's to the early 50's. Now most of us wear pants everywhere we go and occasionally wear dresses. 

You must not have seen the movie.  It was hilarious and that dress was just part of it.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, smanthaonvaca said:

At the public high school I attended, they later began to ban girls from wearing leggings and yoga pants for the cited reason that they "caused distractions to male students." I never had to deal with any of that but at least we didn't have a school uniform aside from the finger length rules. They allowed tight clothes, casual wear, skirts, sports clothes... Big change from 20's to nowadays.

Jeez!  everything distracts male students in high school.   In the 70's when I was in high school mini skirts and short shorts were in style and some girls seemed like they would have gone to school naked if they could.  Instead of shoes there were a few who even tied a string around their big toe and wound up their ankle to pretend like they were wearing sandals.    There was no dress code and the extremes were because 2 years before the dress codes were very strict, including boys having to have haircuts and shirts with collars.   They would measure a girls skirt and if it was shorter than the middle of her knee she was sent home.   One extreme to the other.   

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I have been accused of being "left leaning" and I won't buy anything with the Nestle name on it but I also recognize that we don't have to allow the "cancel culture" to thrive.   There has to be some critical thinking, rational reasoning that is missing from those who want to chastise people for being themselves or a product of their environment.   "Woke" means zombie as far as I can tell.

Sadly, I fear that 'cancel culture' and Wokism is more sinister than that. It is an attempt to control peoples thoughts by controlling the range of opinions that they are exposed to ! 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Sometimes people want to be incensed and outraged and apparently this triggered something for LG.   It was meant to, that was the whole point of the articles on this and the behavior of the people on the idiot show, to get people upset and LG fell for it.   

Ha, such lack of self-awareness... you made the second and fourth posts in this thread within an hour of the OP being posted so yes do go on about who is 'triggered'. :rolleyes:  I at least tried to find out the actual points that back up your opinion but those seem to make you uncomfortable, and when asked questions you quickly and transparently want to change the topic to, 'is LG upset'.  Since you are still laboring under the delusion that you can infer people's emotional states from anonymous internet posts, pretty safe to assume then there isn't much supporting your defensiveness here so I guess I'd want to handwave and try to change the topic too.

10 hours ago, susieice said:

The thing is, this wasn't a movie. This is how women dressed for hundreds of years. The dress here has lots of ruffles but the skirt is too narrow. Many of those dresses were beautiful and totally feminine but women in the 1920's wanted freedom. They lost the hoop skirt frames and the whale bone corsets and the bloomers and began to dress in clothing that was much more formfitting but they didn't give up dresses. Katherine Hepburn was among the first actresses to be known for wearing pants. That didn't become more popular until the late 40's to the early 50's. Now most of us wear pants everywhere we go and occasionally wear dresses. 

Antebellem and it's hoops were more like 30 years, not hundreds of years. In the decades between antebellum and the 20's the hoops were dropped and bustles were more in along with more slender skirt lines to change to the more free styles of the 1910's leading into the 20's, and before antebellum was a lot of Empire waistlines  and natural falling underskirts/pettycoats with little hoops/panniers, bustles, or rolls/pads involved. Hoops/panniers have gone in and out of fashion for hundreds of years, with other fashion trends falling in-between. 

Some fun fashion timelines for folks :)

Vintage Fashion Guild: https://vintagefashionguild.org/fashion-timeline/

Fashion History Timeline: https://fashionhistory.fitnyc.edu

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Agree. Cancel culture should be kept on a limited leash, so that it doesn't become ridiculous, but we should also keep in mind, without it, we would probably still be dealing with more Kathy Griffen's severed Trump head pics or more Roseanne Bar's comparing minorities to Planet of the Apes. I don't know about you, but I'm glad cancel culture at least stopped their negative toxic behavior.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Katniss said:

Agree. Cancel culture should be kept on a limited leash, so that it doesn't become ridiculous, but we should also keep in mind, without it, we would probably still be dealing with more Kathy Griffen's severed Trump head pics or more Roseanne Bar's comparing minorities to Planet of the Apes. I don't know about you, but I'm glad cancel culture at least stopped their negative toxic behavior.

Well, I agree that Kathy Griffin and Roseanne Bar are idiots who go too far with their politics and anger in their "comedy" but all you have to do is not give them the attention.   As far as I can tell the "Woke" "cancel culture" has always been ridiculous.   I have not heard or seen one instance when it wasn't idiotic and seemed to be coming from someone who was emotionally insane (temporarily or not).   I consider Kathy Griffin and Roseanne Bar two angry, irrational women who get way too much attention.   Maybe what we need instead is for critical thinking to be taught in school.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Well, I agree that Kathy Griffin and Roseanne Bar are idiots who go too far with their politics and anger in their "comedy" but all you have to do is not give them the attention.    

Will people ever do that though? I would be really surprised if that ever happened and everybody in society actually did that. It would be like expecting people like Griffen and Bar to be more mature and not so toxic and idiotic? Actions and reactions are human nature. So I doubt will ever see that happen.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

I don't think so.  You just pointed out a major difference, "once an indentured servants period of work was up..." - that doesn't apply to American slavery, that 'period of work' has no definite end. The wiki entry on 'indentured servitude' notes, 

It doesnt matter if one is able to theoretically become free after some period of time if the person dies before reaching the end of that period of time or has that period of time continually extended until they die.  

As for your quote from wikipedia it generally helps if you read everything instead of just quote from the first thing you think that proves your point.  Also from wikipedia on indentured servitude but under the in the north America subsection there is

"Indentured servants could not marry without the permission of their master, were sometimes subject to physical punishment and did not receive legal favor from the courts. Female indentured servants in particular might be raped and/or sexually abused by their masters. If children were produced the labour would be extended by 2 years. Cases of successful prosecution for these crimes were very uncommon, as indentured servants were unlikely to have access to a magistrate, and social pressure to avoid such brutality could vary by geography and cultural norm. The situation was particularly difficult for indentured women, because in both low social class and gender, they were believed to be particularly prone to vice, making legal redress unusual."

and if you go to indentured servitude in British America there is 

"Indentures could not marry without the permission of their owner, were subject to physical punishment (like many young ordinary servants), and saw their obligation to labor enforced by the courts. To ensure uninterrupted work by the female servants, the law lengthened the term of their indenture if they became pregnant. But unlike slaves, servants were guaranteed to be eventually released from bondage. At the end of their term they received a payment known as "freedom dues" and become free members of society. One could buy and sell indentured servants' contracts, and the right to their labor would change hands, but not the person as a piece of property.

Both male and female laborers could be subject to violence, occasionally even resulting in death."

Wikipedia doesn't go into great detail regarding the condition of indentured servants but it does say they werent treated great in America and this whole indentured servants being treated well is largely a myth.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Katniss said:

Will people ever do that though? I would be really surprised if that ever happened and everybody in society actually did that. It would be like expecting people like Griffen and Bar to be more mature and not so toxic and idiotic? Actions and reactions are human nature. So I doubt will ever see that happen.

Not in this culture probably, but we can change it, one family at a time.  Step one get rid of the television, step two limit computer time, step three talk to your neighbors, etc.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, DarkHunter said:

As for your quote from wikipedia it generally helps if you read everything instead of just quote from the first thing you think that proves your point. 

My point isn't based on wikipedia being consistent, it is wiki after all.

Wikipedia doesn't go into great detail regarding the condition of indentured servants but it does say they werent treated great in America and this whole indentured servants being treated well is largely a myth.

No argument there. Even if we take all your quotes on indentured servitude as true and I don't doubt them, there's nothing there that doesn't also apply to slaves.  And like I noted, I'm not seeing much supporting the idea of servants typically having their children taken away from them and sold nor, again, being bred like animals, or legally being designated as 'property'.  There's a lot more to 'worse' than just whether you die or not.

• Confused 1