Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The cancel culture run wild

Myles

19 hours ago, Gromdor said:

I saw this today and couldn't help but laugh.  Idaho is cancelling the Powerball lottery because Australia is joining and might use some of the money for abortions or gun control: Idaho ends Powerball participation amid lawmaker concern that Australia could use lottery revenue for anti-gun measures (msn.com)

That is funny.   I bet they just don't want to put up with it any more so they made up a reason that all the people would agree with.   Idaho is typically conservative for religious reasons so that is as good a reason as any.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, smanthaonvaca said:

https://theconversation.com/cat-in-a-spat-scrapping-dr-seuss-books-is-not-cancel-culture-156378

I wasn't so sure if they still included Seuss in children's curriculum anymore. When I was younger, we used to have a Seuss reading day where we had green eggs and ham and the reader/a teacher dressed up as cat in the hat. I had thought maybe they had new programs now but maybe just slightly changed instead.

That is how the national Read A Thon day started, now people want to separate it from Dr. Suess's birthday, but there is a reason that it falls on his birthday.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

That is funny.   I bet they just don't want to put up with it any more so they made up a reason that all the people would agree with.   Idaho is typically conservative for religious reasons so that is as good a reason as any.

We'll have to wait and see, but I bet the state lottery will go up quite a bit in ticket sales going forward.  Dedicated lottery players will buy alternate tickets.    I think the loss of revenue is being exaggerated quite a bit.  

• Like 2

I don't buy lottery tickets myself.  I donate $5 per week to the office lottery. I think they are able to buy 50-10 tickets each week.    We have never won big.  Several where we won a few hundred dollars to be split between 20 people, but everyone always chooses to leave it in so for the next several months they are paid up.  

My 88 year old Aunt has been spending 24.00 a week on lottery tickets for a couple of decades.  She has charts and calculates how much taxes she would owe if she won one of the lotteries she plays.   She has lists of things she will do with the money.  I guess it is how she entertains herself.

4 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

My 88 year old Aunt has been spending 24.00 a week on lottery tickets for a couple of decades.  She has charts and calculates how much taxes she would owe if she won one of the lotteries she plays.   She has lists of things she will do with the money.  I guess it is how she entertains herself.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, President-Elect Acidhead said:

The current yr is 2021 .....

Doesn't it just curdle your cream to think 7 million more Americans voted for him than Trump?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2021 at 1:35 AM, Tatetopa said:

Doesn't it just curdle your cream to think 7 million more Americans voted for him than Trump?

What no answer for 10 days? I'll go... Absofreakinlutely it does. It's the stuff of nightmares and may actually be a level of Hell itself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 2/15/2021 at 12:27 PM, Liquid Gardens said:

A party where people at the least wear clothes that were popular amongst wealthy Southern plantation owners in the Antebellum period, which was the period roughly between the nation's founding and the Civil War and the period where American slavery was in full flourish.  Yea, it's such a mystery why people may not think celebrating elements of this era is something to be lauded... :rolleyes:

That is my heritage. Saying that those ladies are racist because they dressed and remembered the history of their home is like accusing all blacks that take an Africanized name of being ignorant savages because there are stories about some Africans in the past being that way. Nobody is responsible for the things that their ancestors did and nobody should be ashamed of their heritage.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, F3SS said:

What no answer for 10 days? I'll go... Absofreakinlutely it does. It's the stuff of nightmares and may actually be a level of Hell itself.

Thanks man.   It is a sad commentary. I was rather disappointed myself.   It was the second worse choice we could make.  But the USA has survived as bas or worse in thee past.  We will get through this too.   Whichever way it went, our grandchildren will someday think of us as destructive, immature lunatics.

7 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Thanks man.   It is a sad commentary. I was rather disappointed myself.   It was the second worse choice we could make.  But the USA has survived as bas or worse in thee past.  We will get through this too.   Whichever way it went, our grandchildren will someday think of us as destructive, immature lunatics.

Don't be too hard on yourselves. Your country is only 245 years old.

By the time England was 245 years old, we'd been invaded three times, conquered once and seen at least two civil wars.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, DanL said:

That is my heritage. 

Your family lived on plantations?

11 hours ago, DanL said:

Saying that those ladies are racist because they dressed and remembered the history of their home is like accusing all blacks that take an Africanized name of being ignorant savages because there are stories about some Africans in the past being that way.

No, actually it's nothing like that.  The existence of plantations and what their slave-owning owners did are called 'history', not mere 'stories', and you don't balance those out with mindless opinions like 'ignorant savages'.

11 hours ago, DanL said:

Nobody is responsible for the things that their ancestors did and nobody should be ashamed of their heritage.

Again, if you don't understand what went on in the south during slavery and don't understand its connection to plantations then there's little I can do to assist you.

6 hours ago, Setton said:

Don't be too hard on yourselves. Your country is only 245 years old.

By the time England was 245 years old, we'd been invaded three times, conquered once and seen at least two civil wars.

It is difficult for an adolescent to have the same perspective as an elder.

On 3/17/2021 at 10:35 PM, Tatetopa said:

No.  It curdles my cream that those were the choices most Americans decided to make.  But you know me, I voted for the candidate that got something like 1% of the vote.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, OverSword said:

No.  It curdles my cream that those were the choices most Americans decided to make.  But you know me, I voted for the candidate that got something like 1% of the vote.

I blame that candidate for not campaigning.   Gary Johnson got about 7% of the vote in New Mexico and 3.28 % nation wide when he ran.   He found ways to get around the "media blackout" that Jo Jorgensen claimed.   She just wasn't all that in to it and the others must not have been either because they didn't even run on tickets that had a ballot presence in all 50 states.

Edited by Desertrat56

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

I blame that candidate for not campaigning.   Gary Johnson got about 7% of the vote in New Mexico and 3.28 % nation wide when he ran.   He found ways to get around the "media blackout" that Jo Jorgensen claimed.   She just wasn't all that in to it and the others must not have been either because they didn't even run on tickets that had a ballot presence in all 50 states.

I went to her rally last July, so she did campaign.

Bought a shirt.  Get dirty looks every time I wear it :lol:

Edited by OverSword
  • Sad 1

Just now, OverSword said:

I went to her rally last July, so she did campaign.

Well, I didn't see much of it.  I got emails but I saw no advertising except for a small sign at Home Depot.  Part of that may be the Libertarian party in New Mexico not getting themselves organized, they had it together in 2015  & 2016, but not after that.   Not sure why.  I don't think television advertising is the way to go any more, too expensive and most people use streaming and spend a lot of time on social media so the money could be spent ( a lot less of it) on making youtube videos and getting their party members to pass those videos on all social media platforms.  I am not sure why that didn't happen in 2019.  If 10 year old kids can get a youtube presence it can't be that hard or that expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Faculty at Cornell University have approved a resolution that would remove a suspect's race from crime alerts, arguing that its inclusion encourages suspicion of Black people.

Passed last week, the Faculty Senate resolution removed race as an identifier and called out an alleged effect on Black people.

"[T]he knowledge that a crime may have been committed by a Black man does not make CRIME ALERT recipients any safer, but instead endangers Black people in the community, reinforcing the common phenomenon of violence against Black people on the grounds that they look like suspected criminals," the resolution reads.

A background document added that Black men made up 75% of suspects whose race was identified since January 2019. Previous alerts, it said, were too vague in their descriptions.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/cornell-faculty-race-crime-alerts

• 1 month later...

Former high school track athlete Chelsea Mitchell was the "fastest girl in Connecticut" at one point in time until the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference (CIAC) began allowing transgender girls to compete in women's sports. 

Last week, USA Today published an op-ed from Mitchell about competing against transgender athletes and her decision to push forward with an appeal of the case. On May 25, editors at USA Today, without notice to Chelsea, changed the word "male" to "transgender" throughout her piece and condemned her use of "hurtful language."

Mitchell is one of three Connecticut female high school track stars who filed a lawsuit to overturn the state athletic conference's transgender policy at the beginning of 2020. 

"I've lost four women's state championship titles, two all-New England awards, and countless other opportunities and spots on the podium to biologically male runners," Mitchell said in an interview with Fox News.

"Title IX is really clear that the reason we have women's sports as a separate category is to protect equal athletic opportunities for female athletes like Chelsea," Holcomb, the Alliance Defending Freedom attorney representing the girls, told Fox News. "And that is just not what's happening in the state of Connecticut right now with biological males having dominated the girls category."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/usa-today-transgender-athlete-op-ed-chelsea-mitchell

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Myles said:

Former high school track athlete Chelsea Mitchell was the "fastest girl in Connecticut" at one point in time until the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference (CIAC) began allowing transgender girls to compete in women's sports. 

Last week, USA Today published an op-ed from Mitchell about competing against transgender athletes and her decision to push forward with an appeal of the case. On May 25, editors at USA Today, without notice to Chelsea, changed the word "male" to "transgender" throughout her piece and condemned her use of "hurtful language."

Mitchell is one of three Connecticut female high school track stars who filed a lawsuit to overturn the state athletic conference's transgender policy at the beginning of 2020. 

"I've lost four women's state championship titles, two all-New England awards, and countless other opportunities and spots on the podium to biologically male runners," Mitchell said in an interview with Fox News.

"Title IX is really clear that the reason we have women's sports as a separate category is to protect equal athletic opportunities for female athletes like Chelsea," Holcomb, the Alliance Defending Freedom attorney representing the girls, told Fox News. "And that is just not what's happening in the state of Connecticut right now with biological males having dominated the girls category."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/usa-today-transgender-athlete-op-ed-chelsea-mitchell

Genetic test should be in the cards for competing has athletes. It's physical gender competition and not mental gender competition...

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

Genetic test should be in the cards for competing has athletes. It's physical gender competition and not mental gender competition...

Even as a supporter of trans-equality, I agree - sports are reliant upon biological function, and despite you being female, your biology is male therefore you need to race in male-bio form orientated competitions.

• Like 8

this is not about anyone's  equality, but about special  treatment, and braking society into classes then pin them against each other.

• Like 4

On 2/15/2021 at 2:34 PM, Liquid Gardens said:

I mean, duly noted, of course you aren't personally offended by this, no reason that white people should be. 

I see your racism there.

• Like 4