Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The cancel culture run wild

Myles

2 minutes ago, susieice said:

They really should be. Those wires work their way through and they hurt.

Not to mention how expensive they are.  Bra's should cost the same as men's undershirts or "wifebeaters".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, aztek said:

wow, those dresses are bigger than 4 people camping tents today, 

Want a 54" TV?

Image result for fashion 1700 france

• Haha 7

4 minutes ago, aztek said:

so just do not buy them,

I don't.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Yes, and?  And it would be ridiculous for us to question the propriety of celebrating specific aspects of those cultures directly linked to the places and systems where the oppression took place?  Because?

Rich woman dressed in rich clothes for the time is not directly linked to oppression lol.

It's not a uniform. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hugh Mungus said:

The point which seems to be missed by you is that every period of history is offensive to some. Ancient Egypt? Offensive to Jewish people who were enslaved. Colonialist Britain? Half the worlds indigenous populations were denied self government (among many, many worse fates)

Picking on fancy dresses, which in the last 50 years in the south have evolved into an inclusive celebration for young female graduates, are not the hill to die on. 

People are also missing the slavery aspect of colonialism.

The British controlled Bahamas had a higher death rate than birth rate due to it being so much cheaper to just work them to death. In they Bahamas they had an endless supply of slaves unlike on plantations in the state where losing a slave too early meant you had to buy a new one and therefore lost money.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

People are also missing the slavery aspect of colonialism.

The British controlled Bahamas had a higher death rate than birth rate due to it being so much cheaper to just work them to death. In they Bahamas they had an endless supply of slaves unlike on plantations in the state where losing a slave too early meant you had to buy a new one and therefore lost money.

And a lot of those slaves were irish and poor londoners knocked on the head and dragged in the middle of the night onto ships that took them to the islands.  It was cheaper than buying african slaves, though there were a lot of those too.   That is one thing that is not mentioned, slaves were not all from africa.  The slaves that built the railroads across the country were mostly chinese.   

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

That is one thing that is not mentioned, slaves were not all from africa.

True, although I'm not what other ethnicity of slaves in the Americas was treated worse than African Americans in the antebellum South.

6 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

The slaves that built the railroads across the country were mostly chinese.   

Pretty sure they weren't slaves, the railroads paid the Chinese laborers.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, and then said:

Wearing those costumes/dresses is part of the history of my home town dating back to the pre-war period.  Highschool senior girls compete for the honor of representing the city of Mobile for a year.  They're known as the "Azalea Trail Maids"

azaleatrail-0-1_custom-82d2b7c2321e492727b51f71f36418ee14167f77-s1300-c85.jpg

One of my nieces was an alternate in her senior year and my sister was scrambling to come up with the money for one of those "hoop skirts".  The costume was over 1000 dollars.  The young ladies are selected based on scholarship, volunteering, poise, and as you can see here, all races are represented.

The "cancel culture" seems like a form of mass hysteria with a side of viciousness.  I think it serves the purpose of removing all ties to a common past so that the "new bosses" can tell us what is of value and what isn't. It makes me wonder how long it will be before simply trashing a person's career out of spite, is no longer enough damage done.  

Really these young ladies look absolutely lovely and then. I love the pastel colors. Every girl should wear an over the top dress with ruffles and flowers that make her seem to float at least once in her life. Like Lady GaGa. She can connect to her feminine past. Women's fashion has changed dramatically since the 1920's.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

True, although I'm not what other ethnicity of slaves in the Americas was treated worse than African Americans in the antebellum South.

Pretty sure they weren't slaves, the railroads paid the Chinese laborers.

None of this had anything to do with a woman's dress. 

Edited by susieice
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Rich woman dressed in rich clothes for the time is not directly linked to oppression

You really so sure you know where their wealth came from? 

I think it comes down to what this party actually was, the OP is more about the Bachelor host and there only seem to be a couple pictures to go on.  The links are very tabloidy so I guess it depends on how southern-themed it was, the links talk about a 'plantation-themed' party which if true is where you start running afoul of the linkage you refer to.  If it's really just merely a dress appreciation party as it's being shrugged off to be then that's different.

3 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

I think it comes down to what this party actually was, the OP is more about the Bachelor host and there only seem to be a couple pictures to go on.  The links are very tabloidy so I guess it depends on how southern-themed it was, the links talk about a 'plantation-themed' party which if true is where you start running afoul of the linkage you refer to.  If it's really just merely a dress appreciation party as it's being shrugged off to be then that's different.

It's reasonable to assume it's just the dress clothes.

I think we can all trust that if the tabloids could say anything worse than "plantain themed" than they sure would lol. 

Like it's a college sorority party. What do you think they are doing ? 

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, susieice said:

Really these young ladies look absolutely lovely and then. I love the pastel colors. Every girl should wear an over the top dress with ruffles and flowers that make her seem to float at least once in her life. Like Lady GaGa. She can connect to her feminine past. Women's fashion has changed dramatically since the 1920's.

The Azalea Trail Maids have been a Mobile tradition for as long as I can remember.  It's quite an honor for the high school seniors that are selected.  At one point between the 40s and through the early 80s Mobile was nearly overgrown with azaleas of various kinds and colors and these dresses are sort of a stylistic memorial of that beauty we saw every spring.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

Like it's a college sorority party. What do you think they are doing ? 

I went to a large public college with lots of different sororities across all the spectrums including some as 'rough' as any frat; this isn't the reference you want to make. ;)  Not that I know squat about fashion but those are definitely beautiful dresses.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

I've seen a group of young girls dress up in old Victorian fashion to hold a Victorian tea party. Maybe it's just a girl thing. I think you're reading more into this than what is really there. Fashion didn't really get political until the 20's when hemlines went up for the first time since the 1400's, at least, and women started to demand to wear pants. They went to jail for that. Even myself, I couldn't wear pants to school until I was almost in high school. I had to wear dresses. And then only dress pants. No jeans. That was the late 60's, early 70's.

The wealthy set the fashion trends. They always have and they do today.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Could be argued a large amount of the indentured servants were treated significantly worse then slaves.  Some indentured servants were treated well but a significant number of them were purposefully worked to death as there was little to no penalty for an indentured servant dieing and once an indentured servants period of work was up the person they worked for was supposed to supply them with what was at the time a rather expensive amount of supplies so it was often cheaper to work them to death purposefully then pay them the supplies they were due.

Also there was something about women indentured servants having to work another 7 years I believe if they got pregnant while being an indentured servant so it's not hard to imagine how that was exploited.

At least the slave owners had an invested interests in keeping their slaves alive and healthy unlike the people who had indentured servants.

• Like 4

When we talk about cancel culture...keep in mind...we have heard people on here saying I won't buy this, I won't shop there, I won't watch the NFL, I won't watch the NBA.  Those posters are the same ones complaining about "cancel culture."  I haven't seen anything from left leaning posters saying they are boycotting something.  If I'm wrong, show me I'm wrong.  I'll pick up some chick-fil-a on my way to hobby lobby on any day that's not a Sunday.  

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, susieice said:

There were frames that you wore to lay the dress on. Some called them cages. How in the world could you sit down? I found a couple of funny cartoons though.

Image result for what does the frame for a hoop skirt look like

Good form of birth control :P

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, susieice said:

3 hours ago, susieice said:

Want a 54" TV?

Image result for fashion 1700 france

These dresses remind me of this movie scene.

tumblr_m6qs4kFqa71rtknhto1_400.png

• Like 3

I went to college in the south but I don't remember there being any antebellum parties at my uni when i was attending. I would imagine some others might have had them. There were plenty of themed parties at my school but anyone with a remotely dim light bulb upstairs would know that they were just that - parties. They have been scrutinizing people for years for "appropriation" or "political ties" but it's just a way to discredit so they can colonize on and profit off of fashion and instill political ideologies.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, smanthaonvaca said:

These dresses remind me of this movie scene.

tumblr_m6qs4kFqa71rtknhto1_400.png

The thing is, this wasn't a movie. This is how women dressed for hundreds of years. The dress here has lots of ruffles but the skirt is too narrow. Many of those dresses were beautiful and totally feminine but women in the 1920's wanted freedom. They lost the hoop skirt frames and the whale bone corsets and the bloomers and began to dress in clothing that was much more formfitting but they didn't give up dresses. Katherine Hepburn was among the first actresses to be known for wearing pants. That didn't become more popular until the late 40's to the early 50's. Now most of us wear pants everywhere we go and occasionally wear dresses. 

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, susieice said:

I've seen a group of young girls dress up in old Victorian fashion to hold a Victorian tea party. Maybe it's just a girl thing. I think you're reading more into this than what is really there. Fashion didn't really get political until the 20's when hemlines went up for the first time since the 1400's, at least, and women started to demand to wear pants. They went to jail for that. Even myself, I couldn't wear pants to school until I was almost in high school. I had to wear dresses. And then only dress pants. No jeans. That was the late 60's, early 70's.

The wealthy set the fashion trends. They always have and they do today.

At the public high school I attended, they later began to ban girls from wearing leggings and yoga pants for the cited reason that they "caused distractions to male students." I never had to deal with any of that but at least we didn't have a school uniform aside from the finger length rules. They allowed tight clothes, casual wear, skirts, sports clothes... Big change from 20's to nowadays.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, susieice said:

The thing is, this wasn't a movie. This is how women dressed for hundreds of years. The dress here has lots of ruffles but the skirt is too narrow. Many of those dresses were beautiful and totally feminine but women in the 1920's wanted freedom. They lost the hoop skirt frames and the whale bone corsets and the bloomers and began to dress in clothing that was much more formfitting but they didn't give up dresses. Katherine Hepburn was among the first actresses to be known for wearing pants. That didn't become more popular until the late 40's to the early 50's. Now most of us wear pants everywhere we go and occasionally wear dresses. 

Yeah, and I'm a woman too? I'm perfectly aware of that. The thing is, my picture was a reference to a movie. As a joke. My comment was not about down playing what anyone went through. How is your joke any different?

Edited by smanthaonvaca
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Myles said:

After hearing the host of the Bachelor was forced to take a leave and apologize for defending a girl who went to a Southern Belle party years ago, I'm seeing how crazy this has become.  A few girls dressing up in fancy dresses gets them in trouble.   Pretty stupid.  

I remember they tried saying the same thing about hip hop and 90s themed attire back in 2017 or so on Twitter. They were critiquing white artists and saying that it was racist and borrowing from other cultures, but I doubt there was any connection aside from personal style and preference. I think they may just be looking for news stories to cover which they think will gain traction. You can really turn anything that somebody does in to a story for coverage.

• Like 3