Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Smartphone app to change your personality

Eldorado

Personality traits such as conscientiousness or sociability are patterns of experience and behavior that can change throughout our lives.

Individual changes usually take place slowly as people gradually adapt to the demands of society and their environment.

However, it is unclear whether certain personality traits can also be psychologically influenced in a short-term and targeted manner.

Researchers from the universities of Zurich, St. Gallen, Brandeis, Illinois, and ETH Zurich have now investigated this question using a digital intervention.

In their study, around 1,500 participants were provided with a specially developed smartphone app for three months and the researchers then assessed whether and how their personalities had changed.

Full story at Science Daily: Link

Changing personality traits with the help of a digital personality change intervention.

PNAS

Sociability changes with age, that's why a lot of older women are crotchety, like me, I don't know when it happened, but I have no more patience for a lot of things.   Is that a personality trait?

• Like 4

I don't have a love affair with my smart phone most of the time it sits in my car, tool box or on a table so putting on an app that steals information is pointless to me.

jmccr8

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

I don't have a love affair with my smart phone most of the time it sits in my car, tool box or on a table so putting on an app that steals information is pointless to me.

jmccr8

I'm like that too. I only use mine for phone calls and occasionally a text. If it wasn't for duo security for logging into servers at work, I'd probably go days without touching it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Sociability changes with age, that's why a lot of older women are crotchety, like me, I don't know when it happened, but I have no more patience for a lot of things.   Is that a personality trait?

You get jaded, we all do. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

jmccr8

Hey, jmccr8, I forgot about occasionally trying to get that perfect shot of bigfoot flying around in his UFO.

• Haha 2

Hi Hyperion

Where I grew up on the prairies it was so flat and bald you could watch your dog running away for 3 days not much cover for Bigfoot and still no pics :lol:

jmccr8

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Hyperion

Where I grew up on the prairies it was so flat and bald you could watch your dog running away for 3 days not much cover for Bigfoot and still no pics :lol:

jmccr8

Yeah, I used to live in Indiana. It was mostly like that. Although Bigfoot could have been hiding in the cornfield. And crop circles you know. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Yeah, I used to live in Indiana. It was mostly like that. Although Bigfoot could have been hiding in the cornfield. And crop circles you know. 

I had an uncle that was a corn farmer at Chalmers Indiana and he had a wheat farm in Saskatchewan but wheat is a lot shorted than his corn was.

jmccr8

Just now, jmccr8 said:

I had an uncle that was a corn farmer at Chalmers Indiana and he had a wheat farm in Saskatchewan but wheat is a lot shorted than his corn was.

jmccr8

Yeah, the corn gets pretty tall out there. Maybe bigfoot could even hide in it. I just hope he knows not to eat it, it's what we call cow corn, no flavor at all.

• Like 1

Hi Hyperion

Yes a feed corn but who says bigfoot cares maybe makes a corncob pipe and chills in the field I know they were growing more than corn out there.:rolleyes::lol:

jmccr8

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 8:52 PM, Eldorado said:

Changing personality traits with the help of a digital personality change intervention.

This sounds unpleasantly like brainwashing, to me. 

Brainwashing techniques:

“The techniques of brainwashing typically involve isolation from former associates and sources of information; an exacting regimen requiring absolute obedience and humility; strong social pressures and rewards for cooperation; physical and psychological punishments for non-cooperation ranging from social ostracism…….” (My highlighting.)

Not that long ago, people knew that brainwashing was extremely nasty, a method of torture.  (There is a brainwashing scene in one of those early Michael Caine spy films.)  But nowadays, it has become acceptable, something to be desired.  A quick-fix personality changer.  So persuasive has science become that people are perfectly willing to mess around with their minds without having the least idea of the potentially very serious repercussions with respect to their mental health.

• Like 2