Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Attack on US military base

DarkHunter

While not particularly unique this is the first attack on a US military base in Iraq.  The attack consisted of 14 rockets fired at a US military base at Erbil of which 10 rockets landed outside the base and 4 landed inside the base.  Currently 4 Americans have been wounded and 1 non-American contractor has been killed.  A small Shia Iraqi militant group has claimed responsibility.  The Biden administration has confirmed it was a Shia group but also says they dont have proof yet that the attack was done by order of Iran.  The 14 rockets used were Iranian Fajr-1 107 mm rockets.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, DarkHunter said:

While not particularly unique this is the first attack on a US military base in Iraq.  The attack consisted of 14 rockets fired at a US military base at Erbil of which 10 rockets landed outside the base and 4 landed inside the base.  Currently 4 Americans have been wounded and 1 non-American contractor has been killed.  A small Shia Iraqi militant group has claimed responsibility.  The Biden administration has confirmed it was a Shia group but also says they dont have proof yet that the attack was done by order of Iran.  The 14 rockets used were Iranian Fajr-1 107 mm rockets.

Erbil has received rocket attacks frequently over the last several years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Trelane said:

Erbil has received rocket attacks frequently over the last several years.

But this is still the first attack under the Biden administration and it resulted in injured Anericans.  To further complicate matters there is still the nuclear deal which Biden ran on rejoining but will now be further complicated by this rocket attack.  

It will be interesting to see how Biden will respond as this is almost certainly the first probing by Iran to see just how far they can push Biden.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My guess is that he'll continue Obama's despicable path of paying off the thugocracy.  Now that Iran is openly stating they may assemble a nuke, Biden may not have to worry about deciding on a response.  The IDF may take care of that issue for him.

• Haha 1

Iraqi armed group vows more attacks on ‘American occupation’

Al Jazeera

Iraqi and U.S. officials deepened an investigation Tuesday into a deadly rocket attack on a U.S. military base in Iraqi Kurdistan, as they sought to establish how militants managed to strike one of the country’s most heavily guarded facilities.

Wall St Journal

• Like 1

The Biden administration has released a statement essentially saying they are still investigating the attack and will retaliate at a time and location of their choosing.

• Like 2

Just as an update on everything that has been done/occured so far.  

Biden administration continues to say they will not retaliate for the killing of an Iraqi contractor and the four wounded Americans till the investigation is completed.  The only problem with that is that there is apparently no investigation being done.  In an interview done by John Kirby he has said how there is currently no investigation being done by America on the said rocket attack, instead the entire investigation is being done by Iraq with America only offering to help in the investigation.  Also interestingly in the same interview John Kirby avoided answering a direct question on if the death of an American would be a red line under the Biden administration as it was under the Trump administration.

On arguably tangentially related news apparently the Biden administration is considering releasing billions of dollars of Iranian funds that were held up by Trump.  Seems the Biden administration, if it goes through, will spin this as coronavirus relief and not as sanction relief.  Meanwhile more evidence of Iran doing undisclosed nuclear work comes out and the Iranian supreme leader threatens to enrich uranium to 60% with the Biden administration's response being they dont believe he is being serious.

Biden is almost certainly going to stumble America and/or the middle east into a major war with Iran.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DarkHunter said:

Biden is almost certainly going to stumble America and/or the middle east into a major war with Iran.

I'd be curious to know if Obama allows Biden any real input in these decisions.  Netanyahu and his top IDF guy, Aviv Kochavi, delivered a blunt message to Biden's handlers.  Basically, they let them know that if the cash spigot is turned on and the sanctions dropped, they will not be asking permission to act before Iran can assemble a nuke.  

Russia will no doubt retaliate,  their internal affairs with Navalniy, and protests, need to redirect public opinion and concerns to a more "hotter" topic,  it is perfect timing to bring peoples attention to "imperialist pig's aggression against a friendly country" and retaliate,  no better way to unite population like a fight against a new enemy.   it is no coincidence that dems are talking about changing procedure on nuclear strikes. 

• Thanks 1

Obama started the Syrian Civil war 

Edited by President-Elect Acidhead
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, President-Elect Acidhead said:

Obama started the Syrian Civil war 

But at least it's a good thing we no longer have that war monger Trump in office. The Summer of Love is back, baby! 

• Haha 1

On 2/26/2021 at 6:17 AM, Hyperionxvii said:

But at least it's a good thing we no longer have that war monger Trump in office. The Summer of Love is back, baby! 

Indeed. The war monger. 

Who reduced American military presence abroad. And didn't start any new attacks against other countries. 

Some 'war monger' ? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Indeed. The war monger. 

Who reduced American military presence abroad. And didn't start any new attacks against other countries. 

Some 'war monger' ? 

The ME is going to be one big dumpster fire before too long. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Not counting killing an Iranian beloved general I suppose?

On 2/27/2021 at 6:12 PM, Tatetopa said:

Who was leader of a terrorist organisation, I believe ? And Trump permitted FAR fewer drone assassinations than his predecessor ? 

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2021 at 3:50 PM, Hyperionxvii said:

The ME is going to be one big dumpster fire before too long. 

Meh.. only parts of it. Most of it is fairly stable ? 

On 2/27/2021 at 12:12 PM, Tatetopa said:

Ayuh... that "beloved" general was a stone-cold murderer and a psychopath.  Seeing large crowds in the streets waving pictures of the dearly departed, is not a good indicator of his "popularity".  He was directly responsible for killing several hundred U.S. troops in Iraq and for that, a drone turned him into something very like cat-food.  THAT was a good day.

40 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Meh.. only parts of it. Most of it is fairly stable ? 

I'm not so sure.  Putin just threatened Netanyahu over the IDF attacking in Syria.  He actually scrambled aircraft during this last bombing mission into Syria.  That situation is apt to go critical.  Israel CANNOT allow Iran to build another heavily armed Hizballah-type military in Syria.  My guess is Vladimir doesn't have the guts to risk setting the whole region on fire but if he does, I'd hate to be a Russian service member or mercenary.  

Stuff might be about to get more interesting.

Seems that today a US contractor died during a rocket attack on an American military base.  According to the pentagon the guy went into a cardiac episode during the attack and died shortly after.  No other casualties from the attack.

Bit off topic but Iran is now threatening Saudi Arabia, UAE, and Bahrain saying if they enter into a defense pact with Israel that they will receive very strong and massive hits.  

5 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Who was leader of a terrorist organisation, I believe ? And Trump permitted FAR fewer drone assassinations than his predecessor ? 

Indeed.  Those who were killed around that US base in Syria were part of that organization.  I am not knocking Trump for his act  just saying its pretty much the same for Biden.  

I am all for getting us out of the ME.  When a private citizen like me says that, it means what it says.

When a government official  says that, it means reducing our presence and focus.  Not a great chance that the US will withdraw from all of our bases there or stop messing in world politics.  Also not likely I think that the EU or Britain will go along with us forever.  You are better suited to speak about that though.

I am not conflicted by political parties on this.  I like the fact President Trump did not enlarge our ME footprint.  I recognize the fact that whoever is president, situations will have to be dealt with that are not within our immediate control or choice.

I think it is also true that foreign policy is not about morals for any country.  It is about power. Maybe it shouldn't be that way, but it is currently the state of the world. And by the way, I am not a pundit or analyst, its just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, and then said:

Ayuh... that "beloved" general was a stone-cold murderer and a psychopath.  Seeing large crowds in the streets waving pictures of the dearly departed, is not a good indicator of his "popularity".  He was directly responsible for killing several hundred U.S. troops in Iraq and for that, a drone turned him into something very like cat-food.  THAT was a good day.

YES.  See my response to Roof.  I am not knocking President Trump for doing that, just saying killing armed Iranian backed fighters around a US base in Syria is similar.  

History of previous administrations, both Republican and Democrat have been a lot more willing to meddle in ME  affairs than I am comfortable with.  Your concern about Biden may be well founded. If President Trump was in his second term, he might be facing the same thing.

You are well aware of the Iranian backed terror cells all over the ME.   It seems that no matter who is US president, as long as we maintain a presence in the ME, these situations will come up and we will have to respond.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DarkHunter said:

Stuff might be about to get more interesting.

Seems that today a US contractor died during a rocket attack on an American military base.  According to the pentagon the guy went into a cardiac episode during the attack and died shortly after.  No other casualties from the attack.

Bit off topic but Iran is now threatening Saudi Arabia, UAE, and Bahrain saying if they enter into a defense pact with Israel that they will receive very strong and massive hits.  

Contractor deaths have occurred at bases and outposts in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Blackwater massacre in Fallujah in 2004 for example. Nothing changed strategic operations or policy.

Edited by Trelane

14 minutes ago, Trelane said:

Contractor deaths have occurred at bases and outposts in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Blackwater massacre in Fallujah in 2004 for example. Nothing changed strategic operations or policy.

You honestly have no idea what's going on do you.

Last year an American soldier got killed in a rocket attack, the leadership of Ketaib Hezbollah gets targeted which leads to the American embassy being attacked which ends in Soleimani getting killed.

Now Biden has his first American casualty from an attack done by an Iranian backed group.  There is a good chance he is going to be pressured to retaliate.  

Comparing stuff now to stuff that happened in Iraq and Afghanistan around the start of the war on terror isnt even remotely close.

• Like 1