Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Raptor Witness

Wind Turbines Freeze in Texas

174 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Raptor Witness
2 minutes ago, toast said:

Isnt the Texas grid connected to grids of neighbour states to balance the need for electricity?

I have read that Texas is buying power from other sources, but what is available, next door, may not be enough. 

It’s still a bit of a mystery. I would think that summer usage would trump winter by a wide margin, but perhaps not enough was budgeted for this winter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tiggs
16 minutes ago, toast said:

Isnt the Texas grid connected to grids of neighbour states to balance the need for electricity?

Believe the US has a Western power grid, an Eastern power grid -- and a Texan power grid.

gpp_map-electric-power-grid.png

 At the highest level, the network covering the lower 48 states is comprised of three major interconnections functioning predominantly independently of one another with limited exchanges of power between them.

Source: EPA.gov

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Liquid Gardens
20 hours ago, Autochthon1990 said:

The same exact thing is happening in Oregon due to frozen trees and wind knocking down power lines. Severe weather events can screw over virtually any power grid.

True, but Oregon can buy power from its neighboring states, Texas can't.  This seems to stretch all the way back to the 1935 Federal Power Act which allowed the feds to regulate power companies that engage in interspace commerce, so Texas set up a separate grid within their state lines apparently to get around that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Myles
On 2/16/2021 at 4:05 AM, Raptor Witness said:

Frozen wind turbines have caused almost half of Texas's wind generation capacity to go offline in the midst of an “unprecedented storm”  Independent 2-15-2021

___________________________________________________

As record lows are smashed in the Heartland of America, Texans, who are without power by the millions tonight, are hearing the savvy excuse that their problem isn't their government or their failed electric grid, but frozen wind turbines.

A polar vortex is all it took to put Texas back into the stone age. 

 

Hardly the "stone age".    Many people have generators.  There are other ways to keep warm.   Living without power in 2021 isn't stone age bad.     

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
11 hours ago, Autochthon1990 said:

Diesel fuel, but yes. What do you think Backhoes run off of?

I wonder how much less fuel diesel trucks use than helicopters spraying petroleum products? Regardless, you should watch planet of the humans, documentary about green energy. Good information there. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raptor Witness
On 2/16/2021 at 10:43 AM, Autochthon1990 said:

The same exact thing is happening in Oregon due to frozen trees and wind knocking down power lines. Severe weather events can screw over virtually any power grid.

The power lines are up in Texas. They were just ill prepared for the peril of a massive polar outbreak, forecast here, weeks ago. 

These clowns in Texas think their “Red Kingdom” is so hot.

Mother and I both said ...... “Not so Hot,” and was it not, so?

________________

Trump Speaks Fondly Of Supporters Surrounding Biden Bus In TexasNPR November 1, 2020

___________________

 

The Kingdom to Come isn’t “red,” it is every color of the rainbow, and more.

 

 

Edited by Raptor Witness

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind

TX politicians are saying all residents have to fend for themselves and that to help people would be... socialism. This would be funny if not such a serious situation.

The mayor who said the above has now resigned and he went on to make another post saying the same stuff. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
8 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

TX politicians are saying all residents have to fend for themselves and that to help people would be... socialism. This would be funny if not such a serious situation.

The mayor who said the above has now resigned and he went on to make another post saying the same stuff. 

 

 

What city was that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
toast
2 hours ago, OverSword said:

I wonder how much less fuel diesel trucks use than helicopters spraying petroleum products?

Deicing fluids are not petroleum products.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raptor Witness
4 hours ago, Myles said:

Hardly the "stone age".    Many people have generators.  There are other ways to keep warm.   Living without power in 2021 isn't stone age bad.     

Speak for yourself, Myles. I don’t hear millions of generators running in Texas. I hear people who cannot afford generators, or who live where they couldn’t run one if they wanted to, major pizzed at their state government for leaving them out in the cold for days.

This whole wind turbine thing was an obvious red herring.

Lies on top of lies, only pile up to the ugly truth in Texas.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DarkHunter
16 minutes ago, toast said:

Deicing fluids are not petroleum products.

They are actually petroleum products.  Most deicing products are made of ethylene glycol or propylene glycol with other additives mixed in.  Both ethylene glycol and propylene glycol are petroleum products, they are by products produced during or from the cracking phase of refineries but they are still ultimately a petroleum product.

Edited by DarkHunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cookie Monster
On 2/16/2021 at 9:05 AM, Raptor Witness said:

Frozen wind turbines have caused almost half of Texas's wind generation capacity to go offline in the midst of an “unprecedented storm”  Independent 2-15-2021

___________________________________________________

As record lows are smashed in the Heartland of America, Texans, who are without power by the millions tonight, are hearing the savvy excuse that their problem isn't their government or their failed electric grid, but frozen wind turbines.

A polar vortex is all it took to put Texas back into the stone age. 

 

Its a message from God that the morons environmental policies will come back to haunt the USA lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Myles
5 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

Speak for yourself, Myles. I don’t hear millions of generators running in Texas. I hear people who cannot afford generators, or who live where they couldn’t run one if they wanted to, major pizzed at their state government for leaving them out in the cold for days.

This whole wind turbine thing was an obvious red herring.

Lies on top of lies, only pile up to the ugly truth in Texas.

Still not close to "stone age".  Not really even close to the Iron Age.   

They are hurting and suffering an incurring debt, but at least they can be bundled up together and have plenty of clothes and blankets to help them keep arm instead of just a couple hides.  It sucks no doubt, but not like it did in the stone age.   

Personally, I have a generator if I need it.   I also have a kerosene heater  if needed.    I also have a wood burning stove that I use a few times in the winter.   Also a gas log if needed.  I guess I'm covered.   

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raptor Witness

I was watching MTP Daily on MSNBC, at 1 PM, and the inside story is the free market structure of the grid in Texas, is the problem.

As I presumed correctly, August is their peak month. Apparently, what happens is, their isolated grid has a lot of small electric producers, many of them natural gas. These small producers cannot restart on a moments notice, especially when all their equipment is frozen. These small operators are also primarily only operating in August when it’s warm.

The other problem is, there must be a delicate balance, maintained, between supply and demand or the grid will collapse.

Finally, apparently Texas didn’t have the foresight to buy the wind turbines with the heated blades.

So all in all it’s a big cluster of screwballs in charge of their grid, who simply didn’t prepare for a 100 year visit of Snow Miser to Southtown USA.

 

Edited by Raptor Witness

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hawken

Anchorage, Alaska is near 30F today. Been in the 20s all week.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mantis914

My power had been out since Monday and came on sporadically for a few hours at a time since then but finally, it seems it is on now but I'm not sure for how long.  Yes, there have been carbon monoxide poisonings and fires from people just trying to keep warm so to those that are playing politics on this I really say shame on you!   I'm sure other disasters were looked at as just that, a disaster and we need to help but because it is Texas, we get what we deserve, right?

I, for one, am glad that Gov. Abbott is looking into ERCOT because for the past years, we've endured them dictating what our work sets their thermostats to and wait until sweltering August to do exactly this same thing to us and shut down all the power.  This council has way too much influence on people's lives and they should be held accountable.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
22 minutes ago, Hawken said:

Anchorage, Alaska is near 30F today. Been in the 20s all week.

That sounds warm for Anchorage.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
8 minutes ago, Mantis914 said:

My power had been out since Monday and came on sporadically for a few hours at a time since then but finally, it seems it is on now but I'm not sure for how long.  Yes, there have been carbon monoxide poisonings and fires from people just trying to keep warm so to those that are playing politics on this I really say shame on you!   I'm sure other disasters were looked at as just that, a disaster and we need to help but because it is Texas, we get what we deserve, right?

I, for one, am glad that Gov. Abbott is looking into ERCOT because for the past years, we've endured them dictating what our work sets their thermostats to and wait until sweltering August to do exactly this same thing to us and shut down all the power.  This council has way too much influence on people's lives and they should be held accountable.

My friends say that Houston still has no water pressure.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Liquid Gardens
8 minutes ago, Mantis914 said:

so to those that are playing politics on this I really say shame on you!   I'm sure other disasters were looked at as just that a disaster and we need to help but because it is Texas, we get what we deserve, right?

You mean like the California wildfires last year were looked at as 'just a disaster'?

image.png.d284715a79dbcc7313a60e79882ceaee.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mantis914
2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

My friends say that Houston still has no water pressure.  

That's true also in Ft. Worth several of the water treatment facilities are down and I heard gas has been shut down in selected areas also.  This has been a total mess!  How are you doing in NM?  I heard OK and Arkansas are in the same boat we are in.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rashore
2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

My friends say that Houston still has no water pressure.  

I'm getting in that from friends on home forums. Or intermittent pressure which can be worse. A lotta hits of "how to quick winterize pipes" and "pipes freezing up" topics. Some folks starting up "burst pipes, now what" topics. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mantis914
Just now, Liquid Gardens said:

You mean like the California wildfires last year were looked at as 'just a disaster'?

image.png.d284715a79dbcc7313a60e79882ceaee.png

Texas firefighters deployed to California to fight wildfires | wfaa.com

Yeah and just like we sent troops of firefighters out there?  

Texas firefighters deployed to California to fight wildfires | wfaa.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
9 minutes ago, Mantis914 said:

That's true also in Ft. Worth several of the water treatment facilities are down and I heard gas has been shut down in selected areas also.  This has been a total mess!  How are you doing in NM?  I heard OK and Arkansas are in the same boat we are in.

We are good here as far as I know.  We are getting more snow and the temperatures are a lot lower than normal for this time of year, but I don't think we have gone below 0 except for one night and it was only -2.   I live in the "big" city and as far as I know no one has lost power or water.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.