Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Still Waters

ANU unveils new terms for mother and father

Recommended Posts

 
RoofGardener

What a load of deranged twaddle. "non-birthing parent' indeed ! It's obvious rubbish .

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8

Can we still call the kids brats or rug rats?

jmccr8

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56

Oh, good lord!   They just as well have said "sperm donor" and "egg donor"; And what about people who want to refer to those who raised them but had nothing to do with their birth (like adoptive parents, foster parents, grandma's & other family members).  How stupid, I would not send my child to that university.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then

The farther these folks go into creating new language to salve the sensibilities of these tiny minorities of people, the more I get the impression they're laughing at us.  I just can't take them seriously any longer.  I've never intentionally insulted or disrespected anyone because their sexuality or any other quirk.  If I do so out of confusion over what the "correct" language is - today - then I suspect they'll need to get over it.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
glorybebe

The problem is that they are taking away from one group to make the other group feel validated.  I was born female, I gave birth to my daughter who calls me mom or mama.  Why do I have to lose her calling me her mom?  

I told her throughout history society has gone so far to one side that eventually it snaps back.  And it snaps back hard.  Why must we work so hard to keep society together when others seem to be wanting to rip it apart?

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peter B

Does it need to be pointed out that the university has said "This document is not an official ANU policy, process or official prescription to staff and students."

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jon the frog
On 2/16/2021 at 3:44 PM, glorybebe said:

The problem is that they are taking away from one group to make the other group feel validated.  I was born female, I gave birth to my daughter who calls me mom or mama.  Why do I have to lose her calling me her mom?  

I told her throughout history society has gone so far to one side that eventually it snaps back.  And it snaps back hard.  Why must we work so hard to keep society together when others seem to be wanting to rip it apart?

Always one way or the other.... never balanced. It's just plain crazy to total stupid all the time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hugh Mungus
55 minutes ago, Peter B said:

Does it need to be pointed out that the university has said "This document is not an official ANU policy, process or official prescription to staff and students."

Quote

According to News Corp, the handbook is 'for any ANU student or staff member involved or interested in teaching undergraduate and postgraduate students'.

It's being issued to teachers, so expect it to be taught 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Golden Duck
7 hours ago, Hugh Mungus said:

It's being issued to teachers, so expect it to be taught 

However, you can't find a quote from a university spokesperson confirming that nor can you find as part of ANUs policies. 

However Seven did receive a response from ANU:

Quote

This document is not an official ANU policy, process or official prescription to staff and students.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/anu-researchers-suggest-changing-terms-mother-father-to-be-more-gender-inclusive-c-2174442

A link to the research institute has been provided.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
godnodog

I cant wait to see when babies get screamed at for breastfeeding.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peter B

I find it interesting to note that the handbook was published last year, yet it's only become a story just now. Slow news week (I don't think so), or a desperate search for something to be outraged about?

I'd just recommend people read the handbook.

Yes, there's stuff there I don't agree with, and I think there are a couple of mutually contradictory arguments. But it's important to understand that the section that has people all steamed up represents just a couple of paragraphs in a booklet that's 26 pages long.

It spends much more time discussing ways that staff can help mature-age students who have parental responsibilities. And speaking as someone who spent two years as a mature-age uni student with parental responsibilities (one of those years while also working full-time), I welcome the idea that university staff get reminded every so often that some of their students aren't bright-eyed unattached people in their early twenties.

The booklet also spends plenty of time discussing sexual harassment in general, fairly relevant seeing as the ANU copped a kicking from the Australian Human Rights Commission back in 2017 about sexual violence on the campus, and then took two years to respond to the report.

So perhaps next time you feel you're about to be triggered as a result of reading an article about Code Words of The Scary Left, consider that instead of seeing yourself as a Proud Warrior of Free Speech, maybe you've just walked sheep-like exactly where the article's author intended you to. In such cases maybe reading the source material would be better than doing an impersonation of one of Pavlov's dogs.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hugh Mungus
4 hours ago, Peter B said:

I find it interesting to note that the handbook was published last year, yet it's only become a story just now. Slow news week (I don't think so), or a desperate search for something to be outraged about?

I'd just recommend people read the handbook.

Yes, there's stuff there I don't agree with, and I think there are a couple of mutually contradictory arguments. But it's important to understand that the section that has people all steamed up represents just a couple of paragraphs in a booklet that's 26 pages long.

It spends much more time discussing ways that staff can help mature-age students who have parental responsibilities. And speaking as someone who spent two years as a mature-age uni student with parental responsibilities (one of those years while also working full-time), I welcome the idea that university staff get reminded every so often that some of their students aren't bright-eyed unattached people in their early twenties.

The booklet also spends plenty of time discussing sexual harassment in general, fairly relevant seeing as the ANU copped a kicking from the Australian Human Rights Commission back in 2017 about sexual violence on the campus, and then took two years to respond to the report.

So perhaps next time you feel you're about to be triggered as a result of reading an article about Code Words of The Scary Left, consider that instead of seeing yourself as a Proud Warrior of Free Speech, maybe you've just walked sheep-like exactly where the article's author intended you to. In such cases maybe reading the source material would be better than doing an impersonation of one of Pavlov's dogs.

Are you defending the author of the pamphlet removing the terms mother and father for more gender neutral terms? Is that how your non-gestational parent raised you?

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peter B
6 hours ago, Hugh Mungus said:

Are you defending the author of the pamphlet removing the terms mother and father for more gender neutral terms? Is that how your non-gestational parent raised you?

 

Did you notice this bolded bit? :)

11 hours ago, Peter B said:

I find it interesting to note that the handbook was published last year, yet it's only become a story just now. Slow news week (I don't think so), or a desperate search for something to be outraged about?

I'd just recommend people read the handbook.

Yes, there's stuff there I don't agree with, and I think there are a couple of mutually contradictory arguments. But it's important to understand that the section that has people all steamed up represents just a couple of paragraphs in a booklet that's 26 pages long.

It spends much more time discussing ways that staff can help mature-age students who have parental responsibilities. And speaking as someone who spent two years as a mature-age uni student with parental responsibilities (one of those years while also working full-time), I welcome the idea that university staff get reminded every so often that some of their students aren't bright-eyed unattached people in their early twenties.

The booklet also spends plenty of time discussing sexual harassment in general, fairly relevant seeing as the ANU copped a kicking from the Australian Human Rights Commission back in 2017 about sexual violence on the campus, and then took two years to respond to the report.

So perhaps next time you feel you're about to be triggered as a result of reading an article about Code Words of The Scary Left, consider that instead of seeing yourself as a Proud Warrior of Free Speech, maybe you've just walked sheep-like exactly where the article's author intended you to. In such cases maybe reading the source material would be better than doing an impersonation of one of Pavlov's dogs.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Golden Duck
7 hours ago, Hugh Mungus said:

Are you defending the author of the pamphlet removing the terms mother and father for more gender neutral terms? Is that how your non-gestational parent raised you?

 

Can you actually quote where the document suggests that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mirzam
Quote

"While many students will identify as 'mothers' or 'fathers', using these terms alone to describe parenthood excludes those who do not identify with gender-binaries," the book states.

I don't think that the idea of being inclusive is bad... but if this bit is true, they are being exclusive by being inclusive. Again, the terms aren't offensive and they don't need to be erased. Why would they REMOVE the identities of mother and father instead of just ADDING the new terms? They never removed the identity of being straight for people who are not straight. I'm bi, but this is just ridiculous. This seems to be becoming a common theme in recent news.

Quote
On 2/18/2021 at 8:48 AM, Peter B said:

I find it interesting to note that the handbook was published last year, yet it's only become a story just now. Slow news week (I don't think so), or a desperate search for something to be outraged about?

I'd just recommend people read the handbook.

 

Where did you find that one handbook from the website? I could not find that particular pdf that you linked. It appears from what I have read on the website that the article in the original post could possibly be a misinterpretation of information.

https://services.anu.edu.au/human-resources/respect-inclusion/gender-inclusive-language

https://genderinstitute.anu.edu.au/

Edited by smanthaonvaca
Corrections

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peter B
On 2/20/2021 at 1:32 PM, smanthaonvaca said:

I don't think that the idea of being inclusive is bad... but if this bit is true, they are being exclusive by being inclusive. Again, the terms aren't offensive and they don't need to be erased. Why would they REMOVE the identities of mother and father instead of just ADDING the new terms? They never removed the identity of being straight for people who are not straight. I'm bi, but this is just ridiculous. This seems to be becoming a common theme in recent news.

Where did you find that one handbook from the website? I could not find that particular pdf that you linked. It appears from what I have read on the website that the article in the original post could possibly be a misinterpretation of information.

https://services.anu.edu.au/human-resources/respect-inclusion/gender-inclusive-language

https://genderinstitute.anu.edu.au/

Funnily enough, I didn't find it on the institute's website. Rather, it was linked in the news.com.au article (I googled anu gender institute handbook and the news.com.au article was the second link).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Golden Duck
10 hours ago, Peter B said:

Funnily enough, I didn't find it on the institute's website. Rather, it was linked in the news.com.au article (I googled anu gender institute handbook and the news.com.au article was the second link).

It's on their 2019 grants page.  See post #7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Myles

This is so stupid.   People are falling off the cliff on the left.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peter B
8 hours ago, Myles said:

This is so stupid.   People are falling off the cliff on the left.

 

I agree.

The scale of the over-reaction to just a couple of paragraphs in a booklet allocating ten times as much space to each of helping mature-age students and dealing with sexual harassment is stupid. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw

Somebody needs to write a pamphlet teaching transsexuals--a very tiny minority-- how to interact with a world full of heterosexuals, who aren't going to stop behaving like heterosexuals, just to make them feel better.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
glorybebe

Woke $57k Grace Church school in Manhattan bans students from using terms mom and dad, asking where classmates went on vacation and wishing anyone 'merry Christmas' or 'happy holidays' 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9347201/Woke-50k-Manhattan-school-bans-kids-using-terms-mom-dad.html

Wow.  This is just beyond crazy 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.