Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Watch Mars Perseverance Rover land

Eldorado

NASA is inviting the public to take part in virtual activities and events as the agency’s Mars 2020 Perseverance rover nears entry, descent, and landing on the Red Planet, with touchdown scheduled for approximately 3:55 p.m. EST Thursday, Feb. 18.

Live coverage and landing commentary from NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Southern California will begin at 2:15 p.m. on the NASA TV Public Channel and the agency’s website, as well as the NASA App, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitch, Daily Motion, and THETA.TV.

--

At 7 p.m. EST Tuesday, Feb. 16, a NASA Social live show previewing landing day will stream live via the JPL YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter accounts.

You also can follow every step of entry, descent, and landing with this visualization, and get a preview of all the excitement with a new video.

Full story at NASA: Link

15:55 Eastern Time (ET) is 20:55 GMT.

19:00 Eastern Time (ET) is 00:00 GMT.

SavvyTime - Time Zone Converter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

Apparently the dish at Green Bank West Virginia was thought to be out of action due to weather but they have managed to get it running and it will be in use and pointed at Mars. :tu:

I love listening to the nerd NASA people talk about everything. They are so geeked about about this success.

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Factoid - Mars is currently 204,500 km from Earth. 

204,500 Million km.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yes I saw this live on TV minutes ago. How cool to watch and how neat it would be to be part of that team. They should be very proud of themselves. Excellent and well done :tu:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Targeting looks good, it must be close to chosen site?  

Good job they were not using my original distance figure. :lol:

• Haha 1

That was epic awesomeness :nw:

Now lets find the little cretters that used to live there!

• Like 1

Cheers to our little rover to Mars.. may your systems last long, your components be good. Hope you find friends out there, I know there's a couple or few. 

Hope we humans can send another friend or two up there to share Mars with you. If not, be patient and we will watch what you do. 

My grandson's teacher put it on the zoom for the whole class.  I think he was the one who asked her if they could watch it.

24 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

My grandson's teacher put it on the zoom for the whole class.  I think he was the one who asked her if they could watch it.

Excellent! You taught him well!

I remember watching the little Sojourner rover roll off the Pathfinder lander back in 1997, live at the Canberra Deep Space Tracking Station. That was pretty spesh.

Congratulations to the team for their success here, and hopefully many more successes to come.

(Great to see the landing didn't share the fate of these spacecraft! [amusing YT video])

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thedutchiedutch said:

Yes I saw this live on TV minutes ago. How cool to watch and how neat it would be to be part of that team. They should be very proud of themselves. Excellent and well done :tu:

Yep very proud but they were so full of stress before knowing that all was a good landing, probably a pain waiting for the result ! Hat off to them ! 

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

Yep very proud but they were so full of stress before knowing that all was a good landing, probably a pain waiting for the result ! Hat off to them ! 

Yes i guess it's the build up and the stress of hoping that everything will go as planned. But beautiful to see the release of stress and emotional discharge when the mission is successfully completed.   

• Like 2

I did! Fantastic! Congrats to the whole team! Can you imagine how nervous they must have been, one mistake and you've lost years of work and you're not getting a second chance for that many more? Talk about a high pressure job. 

• Like 2

So cool, I remember  several of my profs having  satellite data coming back from then moon back in the 70's. It was a very big deal.  Now this is amazing for humanity too, there are three probes now on Mars I believe, US, China, and a UAE probe. Hopefully we can all share all of the data.

• Like 1