Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Case of the Disappearing Tumbler.

littlebrowndragon

This happened to my sister and I recently:

We were having a drink one evening.  We used identical tumblers for our wine. In the morning, I saw that my sister had washed her tumbler and left it on the drainer.  I put it to the side for use later.  When I then washed my own tumbler from the night before, I went to leave it beside the other.  However, the other tumbler was not there.  This puzzled me because I distinctly remembered taking my sister's tumbler off the drainer that morning.  Yet now I could see no sign of it. 

I then asked my sister if she had broken her tumbler.  After a  moment she replied that she knew she had broken it, but had no recollection of actually doing so.  I looked everywhere for a broken glass tumbler e.g. in the kitchen bin and in the wheelie-bin, but found no trace of it.  I looked in cupboards to see if the tumbler had somehow been misplaced.  No sign of it anywhere.

To this day, I have seen no trace of the other tumbler, broken or otherwise.

Edited by littlebrowndragon
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Something could be telling your sister to knock off the drinking.

Edited by openozy
  • Like 1

I had a buddy ( rip ) and yeah his alcoholism helped kill him, the last few years his memory was hit or miss and he would get all liquored up at night and do stupid sh...and treat people nasty then claim the next day it didnt count because he didnt remember it, of course that ploy didnt wash with DUI judges

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, seanjo said:

Was alcohol involved?

Of course.  But this does not account for the mystery.

16 hours ago, moonman said:

Drinking tends to make things like that happen. It went out with the trash and is long gone.

Nope.  The bins were only emptied today, several days after the incident.

12 hours ago, openozy said:

Again, no.  Actually, for us both, alcohol is our drug of choice.  We pay no attention to doctors or to their nonsense about alcohol.  I have not taken prescription or over-the-counter drugs for around 15 years, (my sister for much longer), now, and feel the better for it.  I trust my own senses to tell me how much alcohol to consume and when.

As to my sister, it was when she was put on drugs for a serious illness and, after a short time told to come off them, that her insomnia began.  Thanks to doctors and their drugs, she now has to drink alcohol before she can sleep at night.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, openozy said:

I meant something paranormal, a passed relative maybe?

2 minutes ago, littlebrowndragon said:

Thanks to doctors and their drugs, she now has to drink alcohol before she can sleep at night.   

Not a great fan of doctors myself.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, openozy said:

I meant something paranormal, a passed relative maybe?

Right, I see what you mean.  Could be something like that.  But then, if the message came from, for example, my long dead grandmother, I wouldn't trust it one iota.  She was an awful woman.  Maybe she's stirring things up from the grave the way she did when alive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, littlebrowndragon said:

Right, I see what you mean.  Could be something like that.  But then, if the message came from, for example, my long dead grandmother, I wouldn't trust it one iota.  She was an awful woman.  Maybe she's stirring things up from the grave the way she did when alive.

I had a great grandma like that, an evil old women, I'm sure she is around sometimes when things go to s---.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, openozy said:

I'm thinking maybe a caring relo, worried about your sister.

Possibly.  Do you think that people speak from beyond the grave?  I'm not sure either way.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, littlebrowndragon said:

Possibly.  Do you think that people speak from beyond the grave?  I'm not sure either way.

I had my young brother speak to me saying " it's ok", I found out later he had died earlier that day at 23. My passed grandma ( not the evil one lol) speak in my ear when I was pretty bad and advise me, I instantly got better.

2 minutes ago, openozy said:

I had my young brother speak to me saying " it's ok", I found out later he had died earlier that day at 23. My passed grandma ( not the evil one lol) speak in my ear when I was pretty bad and advise me, I instantly got better.

Wow.  Were you and your brother particularly close?  So your dead grandmother helped you recover from illness?  I've not experienced anything like that that I know of.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, littlebrowndragon said:

And it would be a very obscure message, wouldn't it? Hardly direct. You could well never get the gist of it.

5 minutes ago, ted hughes said:

And it would be a very obscure message, wouldn't it? Hardly direct. You could well never get the gist of it.

As I said in an earlier post, if anyone has spoken to me from the "other side", then I wouldn't know because I never "got the message" in the sense that I was unaware of such a communication.  Have you ever experienced this sort of thing, a dead relative speaking to you?

It's interesting really, these messages from the so-called spirit world.  Ernest Shackleton experienced something similar when he got lost on South Georgia.  An apparition beckoned him to follow it and by doing so he found the whaling station and was able to mount a rescue for his men that he'd left on Elephant Island.  Sailors too are notoriously superstitious and I believe that many sailors have experienced the same sort of thing as Shackleton.  I can only assume this because they lead relatively more adventurous lives than most of us.  I read a book recently about a Swiss sailor sailing round Africa and across the Atlantic in the 40s and 50s and he had many strange experiences that got him out of danger.

20 hours ago, moonman said:

Drinking tends to make things like that happen. It went out with the trash and is long gone.

What makes this incident more convincing to me, however, is that both my sister and I experienced something strange with respect to the tumbler.  It didn't happen to just one of us.

13 hours ago, the13bats said:

I had a buddy ( rip ) and yeah his alcoholism helped kill him, the last few years his memory was hit or miss and he would get all liquored up at night and do stupid sh...and treat people nasty then claim the next day it didnt count because he didnt remember it, of course that ploy didnt wash with DUI judges

I take the view that alcohol, on the whole, helps people cope with life a little better.  Perhaps it helped your buddy cope, even if in the end it did kill him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, littlebrowndragon said:

I take the view that alcohol, on the whole, helps people cope with life a little better.  Perhaps it helped your buddy cope, even if in the end it did kill him.

It takes the edge off things, that's for sure. It it a euphoric, and a lot of heavy drinkers are happy to live alone. But, it also means that drinkers are cut off from other people on most levels.

4 minutes ago, ted hughes said:

It takes the edge off things, that's for sure. It it a euphoric, and a lot of heavy drinkers are happy to live alone. But, it also means that drinkers are cut off from other people on most levels.

While I am not an alcoholic, I do drink and definitely in order to help me relax and cope with life's stresses and strains.  It angers me that government (The Scottish government at least) fairly recently increased the price of alcohol by introducing charging whereby the price is set according to alcoholic content.  Such price rises, of course, always hit poor folks hardest.   And as I have experienced a prolonged period of poverty, I am very aware of how those price rises made my life worse.  They had the effect of piling on even more pressure such that I wanted even more alcohol to be able to relax.  

Of course, what the effects of these price rises are, goodness only knows.  When alcohol becomes too expensive, do people turn to really nasty drugs?  Do crime rates rise?  Do more husbands beat up their wives?  (Or vice versa.)  Do mental health illnesses increase?  The government lives in cloud cuckoo land in terms of understanding the effects of their policies.  It also lives in cloud cuckoo land in so far as it has any appreciation of what poverty is like, especially since poverty is on the increase in the UK.  I wonder if governments ever ask themselves why people feel the need to drink?

On 2/17/2021 at 11:56 AM, littlebrowndragon said:

This happened to my sister and I recently:

We were having a drink one evening.  We used identical tumblers for our wine. In the morning, I saw that my sister had washed her tumbler and left it on the drainer.  I put it to the side for use later.  When I then washed my own tumbler from the night before, I went to leave it beside the other.  However, the other tumbler was not there.  This puzzled me because I distinctly remembered taking my sister's tumbler off the drainer that morning.  Yet now I could see no sign of it. 

I then asked my sister if she had broken her tumbler.  After a  moment she replied that she knew she had broken it, but had no recollection of actually doing so.  I looked everywhere for a broken glass tumbler e.g. in the kitchen bin and in the wheelie-bin, but found no trace of it.  I looked in cupboards to see if the tumbler had somehow been misplaced.  No sign of it anywhere.

To this day, I have seen no trace of the other tumbler, broken or otherwise.

In the last couple of years or so I have been reading about a phenomena called 'glitch in the matrix'. In general these are events we would call impossible in our straightforward understanding of how reality works. Disappearing and duplicating items are one of the more common things when studying these claims actually. I have heard enough 'glitch' stories that I believe the impossible is possible. I am already interested in the WHY/HOW questions. Obviously we can't ever figure out the why/how from our normal perspective. Some thoughts include intention of spiritual agents and the movement of objects through dimensions beyond our familiar three-dimensional world.

10 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

In the last couple of years or so I have been reading about a phenomena called 'glitch in the matrix'. In general these are events we would call impossible in our straightforward understanding of how reality works. Disappearing and duplicating items are one of the more common things when studying these claims actually. I have heard enough 'glitch' stories that I believe the impossible is possible. I am already interested in the WHY/HOW questions. Obviously we can't ever figure out the why/how from our normal perspective. Some thoughts include intention of spiritual agents and the movement of objects through dimensions beyond our familiar three-dimensional world.

That's extremely interesting, the idea about a glitch in the matrix.  It brings to mind a not entirely unrelated phenomenon, not a glitch phenomenon, I read about regarding the explorer Captain Cook.  I have heard that the South Sea islanders could not actually see his ships.  I cannot remember any explanation that was given, but it could have been the idea that those big sailing ships were so alien to the islanders' perceptions that they in some way "blanked them out" from their minds.

However, that would not be the case with the disappearing tumbler, I assume.  What it does make me think of is  a virtual reality world, such as in video games, where the environment can easily be manipulated and tumblers etc. could be made to appear and disappear.  Of course, that we live in a material world is by no means a certainty.  Science has made an assumption about that and has built all its theories and practices on that assumption.  Descartes, however, posited a "dream world" existence i.e. a virtual reality.  Perhaps that is the truth which then accounts for the glitch in the matrix.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, littlebrowndragon said:

john in his 40s lived at home with enabler parents his mother was an odd one very hard on him yet made excuses for him being a semi fuctional drunk.

John always was drawn to drink too much but the big trigger was a girl dumping him in his late 20s, so his daily routine was get up late down a water glass of vodka to stop the shakes then drift in to his fav dive bar where sometimes he got paid to clean up.

One night he has a bleeder and dies on a pool table 3 weeks later his body starved to death in hospice and no, thats not at all how john would have wanted to go and i find it very tragic, john had in his last few years become a total jerk and most people didnt give him much time i was one of those but i miss the guy.

John drank to excape, to cope and because he liked to be buzzed but he never stopped at buzzed he had to get obliterated every nite.

My take on mysteries is some can be soved as prosaic others stay a mystery but so far nothing has been proven paranormal with your story i just dont see the mystic that you see.

you guys got liquored up and recall a glass breaking which things getting broken around anembrated people is rather common and you cant find the broken glass, memory is failible and changes and drugs and or drink make that more so, most all alcoholics i know have memory issues, not saying thats the explanation but it sure is a possibility and more likely to me than a spooky Houdinied a broken glass.

From your replies you seem to desire paranormal as the only or most likey explanation and thats fine, i dont share that belief but if it sounds better to you or helps you cope that great and i fully respect how you desire to perceive it.

If i ever see proof of paranormal ill be delighted for now ill just enjoy the stories thanks for sharing.

• Like 1