Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US has not ruled out lab leak

OverSword

From NBC news.

Despite a finding by the World Health Organization that the Covid-19 outbreak in China most likely first infected humans through an animal host, the United States is still not ruling out the possibility of a laboratory accident, as officials continue to sort through intelligence about the Chinese government’s initial handling of the outbreak, American and Western officials told NBC News.

A spokesman for the Office of the Director of National Intelligence told NBC News the agency is standing by a public statement it issued in April, which said that American intelligence agencies "will continue to rigorously examine emerging information and intelligence to determine whether the outbreak began through contact with infected animals or if it was the result of an accident at a laboratory in Wuhan."

A Western intelligence official who has seen classified material told NBC News the U.S. has substantial intelligence that has not been made public about actions the Chinese government took — related to the Wuhan lab and other issues — that were designed to obscure the origins of Covid-19 and conceal its early impact. A former U.S. official who has also seen the intelligence agreed that it was significant, if inconclusive.

Later in the article:

WHO investigators, after visiting three labs in Wuhan, said last week they found no signs that a lab accident could have caused the outbreak. One WHO researcher told reporters at a news conference the organization was halting any further inquiry into that theory.  But the director general of the WHO appeared to walk back that definitive statement a few days later, saying that "all hypotheses remain open and require further analysis and study."

Link

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, zep73 said:

But it is extremely unlikely. Like Last Thursdayism. No experts take it serious.

Because they've all been to Wuhan and seen for themselves the measures taken to prevent an otherwise relatively common occurrence not only in China but around the world?   It's interesting that the US government won't rule it out, that the WHO is walking it back a bit but you are the authority based on the universe possibly being brought into existence last Thursday (?)  It seems a likely enough thing that one of the major news sources in the world published the link.  Frankly I think China is more full of tripe than the USA and wouldn't trust them further than I could throw them.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Trelane said:

Ok, and?

And by covering it up after ignoring it caused a globe crushing pandemic killing who really knows how many?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Because they've all been to Wuhan and seen for themselves the measures taken to prevent an otherwise relatively common occurrence not only in China but around the world?   It's interesting that the US government won't rule it out, that the WHO is walking it back a bit but you are the authority based on the universe possibly being brought into existence last Thursday (?)

They just don't want to look like idiots, in case that 1-in-a-million chance turns out to be true. I don't have that worry, so I speak frankly.

• Like 2

Just now, zep73 said:

They just don't want to look like idiots, in case that 1-in-a-million chance turns out to be true. I don't have that worry, so I speak frankly.

One in a million.  link please.  I believe your odds are pretty far off.

5 minutes ago, OverSword said:

And by covering it up after ignoring it caused a globe crushing pandemic killing who really knows how many?  

That is if it's proven to be true that it came from a lab. However, in that article it states that it's highly unlikely.

Is it possible? Of course. I'll leave the fact finding to the experts in that field. I try my best to not get swept up in conjecture and conspiracy.

Edited by Trelane
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

One in a million.  link please.  I believe your odds are pretty far off.

It's a figure of speech. Another expression is "odd chance".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Trelane said:

That is if it's proven to be true that it came from a lab. However, several times in that article it states that it's highly unlikely.

Is it possible? Of course. I'll leave the fact finding to the experts in that field. I try my best to not get sept up in conjecture and conspiracy.

Good for you.  Makes one wonder why you even bother to comment. :tu:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, zep73 said:

It's a figure of speech. Another expression is "odd chance".

Do you, in general, believe that China is a trustworthy entity?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, OverSword said:

No, it makes you wonder. Well, It's called freedom and free will. I'm a big fan of those.

You posted a link with nothing really from you stating the "why". SOOOOO, I felt inclined to step on in and ask.:tu:

• Like 4

Hell no. But evidence is evidence.

• Like 2

It's a discussion forum. Nobody needs a reason to comment.

Besides, I'm commuting on the train and have nothing better to do.  Well, I could say hello to a fellow passenger and maybe start a face to face conversation; but, that would be weird.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Ahhhhh, there it is. I had a feeling, I really have to trust my instincts more.

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Trelane said:

No, it makes you wonder. Well, It's called freedom and free will. I'm a big fan of those.

You posted a link with nothing really from you stating the "why". SOOOOO, I felt inclined to step on in and ask.:tu:

Thanks.  

Edited by OverSword

5 minutes ago, Trelane said:

Not where I'm concerned you don't.  Ask my anything.

6 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

It's a discussion forum. Nobody needs a reason to comment.

Subjects which hold no interest to me I don't comment on or usually even open up so when someone who is commenting while saying basically that they don't care I don't believe.  Thus my comment.

• Like 2

The photo you posted is supposed to be a passive smear towards me right?

Let me get this right, you're labeling me as a "sheep" because I don't automatically think this has come from a lab? I want to make sure I'm getting that part right before I continue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Trelane said:

I'll ask you too then.  Do you consider China a trustworthy entity?

Edited by OverSword

I'll ask you too then.  Do you consider China a trustworthy entity?

No, not at all.

However, I can't just make that leap that the virus was released from a lab either by accident or deliberately until I know the facts. I know there are many things that are off regarding the whole affair but I would rather get more information to better form my opinion on this.

• Like 2

This just sounds like well packaged fodder for CT.

The real "sheep" are the ones who believe a certain has been orange dude didnt have a grossly incompatant life costing bubbling epic failure response to covid,  and if there was another butter fingers like him but in some China lab who dropped a petri dish well thats just as baaaaaaaaaaaad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Trelane said:

The photo you posted is supposed to be a passive smear towards me right?

Let me get this right, you're labeling me as a "sheep" because I don't automatically think this has come from a lab? I want to make sure I'm getting that part right before I continue.

No.  That's close but your wording is not correct.  I believe you don't question if it came from a lab or not.

• Like 1

Just now, the13bats said:

This just sounds like well packaged fodder for CT.

The real "sheep" are the ones who believe a certain has been orange dude didnt have a grossly incompatant life costing bubbling epic failure response to covid,  and if there was another butter fingers like him but in some China lab who dropped a petri dish well thats just as baaaaaaaaaaaad.

It's from NBC and your government bats.  As good a conspiracy source as anything.  As usual you don't click the link before commenting.  Never fails.

• Haha 1

No.  That's close but your wording is not correct.  I believe you don't question if it came from a lab or not.

It that's your opinion and what you're driving at with this post then fine. However, I think you're projecting my friend. I don't do it to you, so please don't do it to me. My lack of trust in the Chinese government does not automatically form a belief for me in a conspiracy of a lab borne virus mishap/release.

• Like 2