Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mom accidentally shot dead by her child

Eldorado

A North Carolina mother of five was accidentally shot to death after one of her children found a loaded gun in her purse, authorities said.

Cops responded to Gabriel Henderson’s apartment in Cornelius around 7 p.m. on Monday, where they found her dead in a bedroom in the back of the home, according to the Cornelius Police Department.

Officers also found a small semiautomatic handgun on the bed, police said.

NY Post report

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

it is sucks,  it is not the first time something like this happen, it is a double edge sword, on one hand  she needs the gun to be easy accessible and loaded, in case a d bag tries to rape her, carjack her, or abduct a child, all of which happen hundreds of thousands of times a year, but then at home it is an easy access to kids if one time you leave a bag unattended , and run to the bathroom for example, or do myriads  of other urgent things that need attention in  a house with 5 kids,  or you shop and  lose a sigh of your purse for a second while paying to groceries,  and kids goes in your bag,   fortunately it happens very rarely, 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

at least half of those gun deaths' are suicides, every major metro areas in usa has about 500 gang related gun deaths, on average, that would make up  vast majority of deaths,  

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

One in her purse and a semi-automatic on the bed!  Other western nations manage quite happily without them in the family home.

Edited by TigerBright19
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, TigerBright19 said:

One in her purse and a semi-automatic on the bed!  Other western nations manage quite happily without them in the family home.

Yeah. When they get beaten, robbed, raped, etc they just yell, (in my best English accent) STOP, or I’ll say stop again!

Anyhow, this is sad. And preventable. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, TigerBright19 said:

yea, scary sht,  right, lol,  btw any pistol is a semi automatic by default.  other western nations punish you for even attempting to defend yourself,  they are example not to follow

• Like 2

Don't leave loaded guns around little kids 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, TigerBright19 said:

Other western countries aren't nearly as violent as the US.  Taking guns out of the equation wouldn't change that as most murders are done with blunt objects like hammers or baseball bats.  We are the nicest violent people you'll ever meet though :P

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Don't leave loaded guns around little kids 

Yep. I was not really happy about having to lock down my guns when my first son was born, but overall I knew the risk wasn’t worth it. The odds something might happen, were greater than the possibility I’d have an intruder.

Now my youngest is 9. Both are well trained in gun safety, but I’m gonna wait a few more years before I completely trust them. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Other western countries aren't nearly as violent as the US.  Taking guns out of the equation wouldn't change that as most murders are done with blunt objects like hammers or baseball bats.  We are the nicest violent people you'll ever meet though :P

Here is some food for thought. World wide crime date collected by the united nations suggests that serious assault rates in the U.S. is roughly in the middle of the pack compared to other industrialized nations. One is more likely to be assaulted in the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Belgium, France or Australia, compared to in the U.S.  Homicide rate by fire-arms however is like 4 times higher in the U.S. compared to the same countries mentioned earlier. Furthermore, hand guns greatly outweigh the object used for homicides in the U.S. compared to other objects like hammers, clubs, bats etc. 

My sources:
Source : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate
Source : https://www.statista.com/statistics/195325/murder-victims-in-the-us-by-weapon-used/
Source : https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny-oped-is-the-united-states-unusually-violent-20190920-aeb3i3risbg3voaboy52unhglu-story.html

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, thedutchiedutch said:

Here is some food for thought. World wide crime date collected by the united nations suggests that serious assault rates in the U.S. is roughly in the middle of the pack compared to other industrialized nations. One is more likely to be assaulted in the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Belgium, France or Australia, compared to in the U.S.  Homicide rate by fire-arms however is like 4 times higher in the U.S. compared to the same countries mentioned earlier. Furthermore, hand guns greatly outweigh the object used for homicides in the U.S. compared to other objects like hammers, clubs, bats etc. 

My sources:
Source : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate
Source : https://www.statista.com/statistics/195325/murder-victims-in-the-us-by-weapon-used/
Source : https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny-oped-is-the-united-states-unusually-violent-20190920-aeb3i3risbg3voaboy52unhglu-story.html

Could be that you are less likely to be assaulted here because you might get shot in the attempt.  If I had a gun and someone was trying to assault me they would have a hole where their heart used to be. :yes:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Yeah. When they get beaten, robbed, raped, etc they just yell, (in my best English accent) STOP, or I’ll say stop again!

Anyhow, this is sad. And preventable. 

Just lock the doors and windows and set the burglar alarm if the home owner feels insecure, but most people in the UK don't even go to those measures.  Buying a gun seems like an extreme measure and it conveys a message that the home owner has something worth stealing if they need that kind of protection.  The police are just a phone call away if anything were to happen which would be highly unlikely.  Life is more important than possessions.  Even the life of the assailant.  I knew a lady who was burgled and when he tried to escape he fell and badly injured himself, but instead of calling the police she called for an ambulance.  My sister used to invite homeless couples into her home for a warm meal and bed for the night.  Occasionally they stole items and damaged her property, but she still invited more in because their health was far more important.  Does America have that same kind of charity and compassion to welcome strangers without fear of needing a gun?

Edited by TigerBright19
  • Like 1

A biometric gun would have prevented this travesty..

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TigerBright19 said:

Life is more important than possessions.  Even the life of the assailant

Meh. Not to me. If you break into my house than your life is not more important than my possessions. 

All life is not precious. No one is special just for being alive.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Could be that you are less likely to be assaulted here because you might get shot in the attempt.  If I had a gun and someone was trying to assault me they would have a hole where their heart used to be. :yes:

Yes, that could be for sure. I have been assaulted back in Europe a few times, (as in physically attacked), I have also been the assaulter a few times, (as in physically attacking another person), but never ever with the intention to kill or seriously or permanently injure someone. I wouldn't say it was all in good fun of course but never even thought of using a weapon or anything like it besides my fists, elbows, knees or feet. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thedutchiedutch said:

Yes, that could be for sure. I have been assaulted back in Europe a few times, (as in physically attacked), I have also been the assaulter a few times, (as in physically attacking another person), but never ever with the intention to kill or seriously or permanently injure someone. I wouldn't say it was all in good fun of course but never even thought of using a weapon or anything like it besides my fists, elbows, knees or feet. 

One punch deaths are not that uncommon.  If someone tries to assault me I will try to kill them.  I would never physically assault someone first.

https://www.ktnv.com/news/one-punch-deaths-not-that-unusual-around-the-world

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, OverSword said:

One punch deaths are not that uncommon.  If someone tries to assault me I will try to kill them.  I would never physically assault someone first.

https://www.ktnv.com/news/one-punch-deaths-not-that-unusual-around-the-world

I would not be surprised. A punch hard enough and aimed at the right spot can do a lot of damage. 
Now if you get attacked by some unarmed idiot for whatever reason you would instantly kill him? You won't try to fend him off first or something like that ?

Edited by thedutchiedutch
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TigerBright19 said:

The police are just a phone call away if anything were to happen which would be highly unlikely.

That's true, but that phone call could take minutes for the police to respond and you could be dead in seconds.  That's the whole idea of owning a gun to protect your home.  What police mainly do while dealing with any kind of crime is show up after the fact and write a report.

How many people killed by an intruder in a country that has outlawed firearms do you think wish they had a gun?  I'm going to say all of them and most of their relatives as well.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

That's true, but that phone call could take minutes for the police to respond and you could be dead in seconds.  That's the whole idea of owning a gun to protect your home.  What police mainly do while dealing with any kind of crime is show up after the fact and write a report.

How many people killed by an intruder in a country that has outlawed firearms do you think wish they had a gun?  I'm going to say all of them and most of their relatives as well.

During the "protests" last year a record number of guns were purchased by "first time buyers".  IIRC, it was about 6 million purchases.  The idea of waiting around until the cops decide to show is becoming less and less popular.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, thedutchiedutch said:

I would not be surprised. A punch hard enough and aimed at the right spot can do a lot of damage. 
Now if you get attacked by some unarmed idiot for whatever reason you would instantly kill him? You won't try to fend him off first or something like that ?

If I'm forced to fight then my goal will be to ensure they will not get up to follow me when I leave, I won't be beating an unconscious person or anything like that though .  Nobody has the right to assault me so if they do as far as I'm concerned they just gave up every right to expect me to act civil. They will be getting hit in the head as hard as I can hit them and if there is a 2x4 handy they can expect to be getting hit with that too. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

If I'm forced to fight then my goal will be to ensure they will not get up to follow me when I leave, I won't be beating an unconscious person or anything like that though .  Nobody has the right to assault me so if they do as far as I'm concerned they just gave up every right to expect me to act civil. They will be getting hit in the head as hard as I can hit them and if there is a 2x4 handy they can expect to be getting hit with that too. 

So you would try to take out the assaulter without necessarily killing it. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Average police response time also varies alot by location.

3-20 mins depending on the location. Even with the exceptional end of the spectrum of 3 mins, alot could still happen in that time. 

Edit:just looked up my city, looks like their initiative aims for a 8 min response time for all emergency services.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, thedutchiedutch said:

So you would try to take out the assaulter without necessarily killing it. 

That would be my second or third priority, I don't want to kill anyone.  I'm just saying if you come at me for no good reason other than you're drunk or otherwise out of control don't expect me not to go full blast until I feel safe.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

That would be my second or third priority, I don't want to kill anyone.  I'm just saying if you come at me for no good reason other than you're drunk or otherwise out of control don't expect me not to go full blast until I feel safe.

With although respect the only reason why I am asking you these questions is because you said earlier "If someone tries to assault me I will try to kill them" which I thought was kinda extreme. 

• Like 1