Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Facebook bans viewing or sharing news in OZ

OverSword

Facebook has blocked Australian users from sharing or viewing news content on the platform, causing much alarm over public access to key information.

It comes in response to a proposed law which would make tech giants pay for news content on their platforms.

Australians on Thursday woke up to find that Facebook pages of all local and global news sites were unavailable.

Several government health and emergency pages were also blocked - something Facebook later asserted was a mistake.

Those outside of the country are also unable to read or access any Australian news publications on the platform.

The Australian government has strongly criticised the move, saying it demonstrated the "immense market power of these digital social giants".

Link

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

It's about time for Zuck and Dorsey to be b**** slapped.  Both of them are MONUMENTAL prix...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I have many friends now in Tasmania, and Australia. They all have said that they were not sure if the censoring of a certain political part was true, but they all now know. Some of the things I have seen spoken from them. Was nice too see. It is sad that FB has basically become a god. Not sure how many watched American Gods, but it has it right. Humans make gods.
I wish I could leave it myself. Crazy how trapped I eve am. I only have it for a couple of Melanoma support groups that are awesome. They help so many people. And a Wolfdog group, same reason, and a motorcycle camping group. I could go without all but the first one. People have talked about trying to find new platforms, but it is not going to happen.
FB has total control, and it is very scary.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Sakari said:

FB has total control, and it is very scary.

They have that control only so long as governments allow them to do so.  230 reform would shake their tree nicely, IF politicians cared enough for their voters to take on the task.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, and then said:

They have that control only so long as governments allow them to do so.  230 reform would shake their tree nicely, IF politicians cared enough for their voters to take on the task.

Well it won't happen under a democrat controlled government and I'm not sure it would be any different under a Republican controlled government. As is stands now the government enjoys the censorship that they themselves cannot employ.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, OverSword said:

Facebook has blocked Australian users from sharing or viewing news content on the platform, causing much alarm over public access to key information.

It comes in response to a proposed law which would make tech giants pay for news content on their platforms.

Australians on Thursday woke up to find that Facebook pages of all local and global news sites were unavailable.

Link

So this is in response to a Proposed law? Banning in prep of possibly something happening?

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

So this is in response to a Proposed law? Banning in prep of possibly something happening?

Sure... that's how these Chicago-style thugs roll.  

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Google has already agreed to give Murdoch truckloads of money for news links 

The possibility is just a formality at this point. .

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-56101859

I don't use Facebook. No impact on me. I wouldn't go there for news anyway. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

Google has already agreed to give Murdoch truckloads of money for news links 

The possibility is just a formality at this point. .

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-56101859

I don't use Facebook. No impact on me. I wouldn't go there for news anyway. 

I have it but only for comm's with family members - I can't understand why people get so hooked on it.  Reality apparently not good enough..?

I found this surprising on two levels...

1. They did this when the legislation was still being negotiated.  That makes them stink even if they had a case.

2. They also did it really, really badly - they screwed the pooch by also blocking many charitable sites, educational sites, help and support websites and a pile of other essential services.  Whoever wrote the algorithms to block 'news' were bloody drongoes.  It's turned into a public relations disaster, and as far I am concerned, it couldn't happen to more deserving scum - yes, I'm lookin' at you zuckerberg.

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

I have it but only for comm's with family members - I can't understand why people get so hooked on it.  Reality apparently not good enough..?

1. They did this when the legislation was still being negotiated.  That makes them stink even if they had a case.

2. They also did it really, really badly - they screwed the pooch by also blocking many charitable sites, educational sites, help and support websites and a pile of other essential services.  Whoever wrote the algorithms to block 'news' were bloody drongoes.  It's turned into a public relations disaster, and as far I am concerned, it couldn't happen to more deserving scum - yes, I'm lookin' at you zuckerberg.

See Chuck!  We do agree on some things!   :)

• Haha 5

This corporation operates inside a foreign nation at the allowance of that foreign nation. If they paid their corporate taxes here, they get a seat at the table. Other than that... play by our rules or bog off Facebook.

We don’t kneel to bullies.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ChrLzs said:

I still wonder why this even a thing.

ABC Local were pointing out ABC News and other content is already paid for buy the taxpayer.  But ABC Breakfast were discussing, with the Communications Minister, what would happen to government funding if the Tech Giants paid the ABC.

The guest on ABC Local did say that if Facebook blocked your only source of news, then it's your fault. 

• Like 3

Hiya Duck, yeah, it's all a bit weird, when you look at our Auntie ABC.  For people who don't know, the ABC here in Australia is a government funded news media organisation, but it is run by (what is supposed to be) an independent board.  Interestingly, it seems to often lean to the opposite direction of whoever is in power...

I *love* the ABC - even if it's just for the biting comedy programs it runs!  And hey, there's also Bluey! - which has to be the best kids TV *ever*.

Here's their quite polite take on it..

Hey, does that work in the USA?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, and then said:

It's about time for Zuck and Dorsey to be b**** slapped.  Both of them are MONUMENTAL prix...

Zuck needs a long prison sentence. With a big horny redneck named Bubba as a bunkie. :yes:

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

13 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Or it's a move to have Australians protest the law seeing what the results may be.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, OverSword said:

Or it's a move to have Australians protest the law seeing what the results may be.

Well, that worked well for Marky Z. Most Aussies dislike Scotty from Marketing, or at least tolerate him simply because the other lot are worse, and along come Zuckerborg to try and bully us and LO-AND-BEHOLD we all stand behind Scotty. Well done Mark, you d*******, you’ve made me agree with Scott Morrison.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, President Wearer of Hats said:

Well, that worked well for Marky Z. Most Aussies dislike Scotty from Marketing, or at least tolerate him simply because the other lot are worse, and along come Zuckerborg to try and bully us and LO-AND-BEHOLD we all stand behind Scotty. Well done Mark, you d*******, you’ve made me agree with Scott Morrison.

Well it's up to you then.  Facebook with no newsfeeds or sharing of news.  I don't do facebook so wouldn't notice if it disappeared. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Well it's up to you then.  Facebook with no newsfeeds or sharing of news.  I don't do facebook so wouldn't notice if it disappeared. 

We were all set to protest this law. It exists solely because Darth Rupert (Mr “I own 60% of news media in Australia”) and his cronies was losing money to non-Rupert owned sources that he couldn’t buy or destroy like Aunty ABC and online news sources. Rupert demands, Scotty obeys and we complain. 
It’s so predictable you can set your watch by it. 
Except.... along come Marky Z, who tells us to obey him. Who then threatens and carries out that threat to make us obey. 

And we go “nope,” because we’re a contrarian nation. It’s why they don’t enforce jaywalking laws anymore unless someone needs an attitude adjuster from the boys in blue.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

So its illegal to post news articles? Like at all? If your kids football team wins, you can't post a local article? If you get a civic award, you can't post any news articles about it?

59 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

So its illegal to post news articles? Like at all? If your kids football team wins, you can't post a local article? If you get a civic award, you can't post any news articles about it?

The Farcebook algorithms won’t let you link to anything defined as a news source. 

• Like 3

Where women glow and men plunder.........

5 hours ago, DieChecker said:

This is abut the News Media Bargaining Code.  The idea is that digital platforms should be paying the News Media for the news the provide on their platforms.  No one I know understands how this fits within the standard paying for goods and services model.

The ONLY explanation that appears to make any sense is this is a way for the PM to repay Murdox for assistance in winning the last Federal Election.  Even then you shouldn't be paying a premium for help in beating Bobble-Headed Shill Borten.

• Like 1