Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do you atheists have a message for mankind?

oslove

5 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Crazy Horse 

Thanks now give your atheist message as an atheist as that is who was asked to respond.

jmccr8

I am not a miracle worker..

There is no wisdom of atheistic thought.

But a message might be - "Believe in chance, and hope for the best."

7 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Crazy Horse 

Thanks now give your atheist message as an atheist as that is who was asked to respond.

jmccr8

True, but there is nothing to stop non atheists responding to, and critiquing, the responses of the atheists :)  

Just now, Mr Walker said:

True, but there is nothing to stop non atheists responding to, and critiquing, the responses of the atheists :)  

You would think...

3 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

The OP if you read it is not asking for a discussion they are asking what an atheist would say and that exclude your and Crazy Horse from offering an opinion. That is pretty specific and if you don't smoke or drink don't come in here asking for soda pop and chips

jmccr8

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

The OP if you read it is not asking for a discussion they are asking what an atheist would say and that exclude your and Crazy Horse from offering an opinion. That is pretty specific and if you don't smoke or drink don't come in here asking for soda pop and chips

jmccr8

This is how strong the Atheistic Belief System is, eg, weak as a kitten, prickly as a hedgehog, and about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

• Haha 3

Just now, Crazy Horse said:

This is how strong the Atheistic Belief System is, eg, weak as a kitten, prickly as a hedgehog, and about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

Do you get this pizzed off when they tell you that you can't go to Spa Lady because you don't have the right bits to be there?:huh::lol::whistle:

jmccr8

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, jmccr8 said:

Do you get this pizzed off when they tell you that you can't go to Spa Lady because you don't have the right bits to be there?:huh::lol::whistle:

jmccr8

Nope...

Lost me again.

Why would a bloke ask to hang-out at Spa Lady, in the first place?

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Nope...

Lost me again.

Why would a bloke ask to hang-out at Spa Lady, in the first place?

Hi Crazy Horse 

I would check the light bulb on that enlightenment thingy doesn't seem to bright

jmccr8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Know this one?

Invictus

William Ernest Henley - 1849-1903
  • Out of the night that covers me,   

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,   
I thank whatever gods may be   
  For my unconquerable soul.   

In the fell clutch of circumstance 
  I have not winced nor cried aloud.   
Under the bludgeonings of chance   
  My head is bloody, but unbowed.   

Beyond this place of wrath and tears   
  Looms but the Horror of the shade, 
And yet the menace of the years   
  Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.   

It matters not how strait the gate,   
  How charged with punishments the scroll,   
I am the master of my fate:
  I am the captain of my soul.

OR THIS ONE

From far, from eve and morning

And yon twelve-winded sky,

The stuff of life to knit me Blew hither; here am I.

Now - for a breath I tarry Nor yet disperse apart -

Take my hand quick and tell me,

What have you in your heart.

Speak now, and I will answer;

How shall I help you, say;

Ere to the wind's twelve quarters I take my endless way.

A. E. Housman: A Shropshire Lad

We are here for a moment in time, an assemblage of molecules that has  joined together before in many different organisms and in the hearts of stars and will disperse and join again after we cease.  We are part of the universe and aware, that is a wonder.  We have existence, it may not be long but we get woven into the story of the universe. Is becomes was and we fade but the fact of our brief being will be a part of the universe until it too ends.  Does the universe care? Nope.   But that is just as good as forgiveness and acceptance.  No judgement except by yourself and the beings you interact with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

don't be a follower - lead thy self. 

and do onto all others and you'd have them do onto you. 

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

jmccr8

But every thread generates  discussion and debate and you cant really deny the right to offer differing opinions 

You made a brave try  with your twin threads but  that  seems to have died a natural death  for the very reason that it didn't allow for debate.. 

Neither the op, nor the rules, say anything against a theist or agnostic debating the pov of an atheist,   once that pov was offered.

I agree that, initially, the  Op asks for offerings from  atheists but, if that was all which was allowed, after 20 posts there would be nothing else to say  

Your last point doesn't make sense. I don't smoke or drink. yet still have a right to come in to any place, like a pub or supermarket, selling smokes and alcohol, and ask for chips and soda pop :) 

3 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

But every thread generates  discussion and debate and you cant really deny the right to offer differing opinions 

You made a brave try  with your twin threads but  that  seems to have died a natural death  for the very reason that it didn't allow for debate.. 

Neither the op, nor the rules, say anything against a theist or agnostic debating the pov of an atheist,   once that pov was offered.

I agree that, initially, the  Op asks for offerings from  atheists but, if that was all which was allowed, after 20 posts there would be nothing else to say  

Your last point doesn't make sense. I don't smoke or drink. yet still have a right to come in to any place, like a pub or supermarket, selling smokes and alcohol, and ask for chips and soda pop :) 

Tell it to Spa Lady and let me know how that works.

That being said I will be mindful and not encourage discussion with you.

jmccr8

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

Know this one?

Invictus

William Ernest Henley - 1849-1903
  • Out of the night that covers me,   

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,   
I thank whatever gods may be   
  For my unconquerable soul.   

In the fell clutch of circumstance 
  I have not winced nor cried aloud.   
Under the bludgeonings of chance   
  My head is bloody, but unbowed.   

Beyond this place of wrath and tears   
  Looms but the Horror of the shade, 
And yet the menace of the years   
  Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.   

It matters not how strait the gate,   
  How charged with punishments the scroll,   
I am the master of my fate:
  I am the captain of my soul.

OR THIS ONE

From far, from eve and morning

And yon twelve-winded sky,

The stuff of life to knit me Blew hither; here am I.

Now - for a breath I tarry Nor yet disperse apart -

Take my hand quick and tell me,

What have you in your heart.

Speak now, and I will answer;

How shall I help you, say;

Ere to the wind's twelve quarters I take my endless way.

A. E. Housman: A Shropshire Lad

We are here for a moment in time, an assemblage of molecules that has  joined together before in many different organisms and in the hearts of stars and will disperse and join again after we cease.  We are part of the universe and aware, that is a wonder.  We have existence, it may not be long but we get woven into the story of the universe. Is becomes was and we fade but the fact of our brief being will be a part of the universe until it too ends.  Does the universe care? Nope.   But that is just as good as forgiveness and acceptance.  No judgement except by yourself and the beings you interact with.

The first bolded bit forms the basis of my own philosophy of life

The second bolded bit enunciates how i believe each of us should relate to others, 

I was lucky enough to have a "classical" high school education, including Latin, poetry, literature, maths, physics, chemistry, history, geography,   etc.

Poetry always had power for me. especially poems about the human condition.  

There is some good modern poetry but the classics have the greatest power.

We learned off by heart a hundred or more poems during our high school years 

Some of my personal favourites include

but are not limited to

Invictus poem, by william ernest henley captain of my soul cover of ship sailing in a storm.Ulysses poem, by Alfred lord Lennyson to strive to seek to find and not to yield.If poem, by Rudyard Kipling, quotation on a cover page.Horatius, poem by Thomas Babington, how can men die better with a cover of men fighting.The long song of j alfred prufrock, poem by ts eliot, with a cover of man standing in a street.Pioneers o pioneers, poem Walt Whitman, with cover of animal herd.The soldier, poem by rupert brooke, with a cover of a soldier looking toward the flowers.Charge of the light brigade, poem by alfred lord tennyson, with a cover of a war.Poem from the iron heel,by jack london, cover of a man holding a fire lamp.Character of the happy warrior, poem william wordsworth, with a cover of man holding a bow.Ozymandias, poem by Percy Bysshe Shelley, with a cover of man standing infront of a pyramid.https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/20-best-poems/

Ps I learned, loved, and was motivated by these poems when I WAS an atheist 

They are the sorts of things an atheist could offer to  the world, and I think it quite likely that some of the writers, a t least, WERE atheists 

brief google later.............................................

Tennyson was a pantheist  Kipling followed no particular religion but was a theist  Henley, who wrote Invictus, was an avowed atheist   No one really knows what beliefs, if any, Robert frost held 

Frost never made his beliefs clear, prompting biographers and others to theorize he was, among others, an atheist, a Unitarian, an agnostic and a follower of Swedenborgianism, his mother's religion. 

Shelly, of course, was an atheist,  and wrote  an essay called "The necessity of Atheism" 

So there you go  

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Tell it to Spa Lady and let me know how that works.

That being said I will be mindful and not encourage discussion with you.

jmccr8

Must be the weekend again :) 

• Haha 1

Just now, Mr Walker said:

Must be the weekend again :) 

Yes and I will be working tomorrow and haven't been encouraging discussion  everyday for more that a couple of weeks holding my tongue and will do so but do not think that I am not aware of your ramblings so ramble on without me and I am done and will not derail

jmccr8

• Like 3

A thread about asking the atheist a question, gets derailed by believers who have a problem with atheist. So it's not the atheist who (typically) are the problem, but the believers (typically). 

So my next bit of advice.

Never hold onto a belief that you're unwilling to question. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

And another thread gets derailed by "you know who". :no:

18 hours ago, oslove said:

I await with bated breath to read what message atheists care to tell mankind, so that mankind starting with myself will profit from it..

Leave this world a better place than you found it.

• Like 6

" ...all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves" - Bill Hicks

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

And another thread gets derailed by "you know who". :no:

Any others messages for mankind? What kind of messages do you think mankind could benefit from, at least from an atheistic perspective?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Yes and I will be working tomorrow and haven't been encouraging discussion  everyday for more that a couple of weeks holding my tongue and will do so but do not think that I am not aware of your ramblings so ramble on without me and I am done and will not derail

jmccr8

Refer to the mindfulness thread. :) Don't let it have power over you.

Let's move on and ignore it. I like that idea.

What kind of messages do you think mankind could benefit from, at least from an atheistic perspective?

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Thanks 3

21 hours ago, oslove said:

I await with bated breath to read what message atheists care to tell mankind, so that mankind starting with myself will profit from it.

By atheists I include all humans who choose to not at least entertain any interest in God.

I'm not an atheist, but I do not entertain any interest in God. There's lots of other deities and faiths too for folks to choose from, including the choice to not have a deity at all. And it's OK to not have a deity structure, that a human can be a good human without the deity requirement or a religion component to make that happen.  

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Any others messages for mankind? What kind of messages do you think mankind could benefit from, at least from an atheistic perspective?

I allready did that in post #7.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I allready did that in post #7.

I saw that.

I was hoping maybe you had more. The "other" in "other messages" was intentional. :)

Just trying to avoid seeing another thread take a dive into the proverbial gutter.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel

18 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

I saw that.

I was hoping maybe you had more. The "other" in "other messages" was intentional. :)

Just trying to avoid seeing another thread take a dive into the proverbial gutter.

I tend to lose interest in a topic when a certain poster enters.

To be honest I very rarely think of things in a religious/atheistic framework. It's not something that pops up very often in my everyday life.

• Like 3