Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
oslove

Do you atheists have a message for mankind?

608 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Noteverythingisaconspiracy
2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

So now you have learned something.  Your assumption was incorrect.   

The big question is if he accepts that his assumption was wrong. I hope he does. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rlyeh
Quote

Honestly, I was entertaining the idea that atheists or God-deniers anonymous in the internet would tell mankind to just do anything at all they want to do, except watch out that they don't get in trouble with the law of the land they are living in.

The majority of the prison population is theist, does that mean theists don't care about the law?

 

Quote

Do you know this man (in quote below), he seems to be a human who does anything he wants to do, except that he does not get caught by the law, still he was caught and but now had escaped from prison - yet on latest news was caught again.

Do you know him?  What has he got to do with anything?

He does not get caught by the law... still he was caught.  Too bad you've never entertained the idea of coherent sentences.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noteverythingisaconspiracy
3 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Do you know him?  What has he got to do with anything?

I wonder why he chose Peter  Madsen as an example. I would have thought that he is a pretty obscure person outside Denmark and Sweden.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oslove

So, generally atheists and all sorts and manners of God-deniers who write in this thread, they don't have any message for mankind than what non-atheists and non-God-deniers also have.

From my part, aside from entertaining the idea that with the anonymity of the internet, atheists and God-deniers would tell mankind to do anything they want to do, except don't get caught by the law, I am still entertaining another idea: that atheists and God-deniers tell mankind why and how they should stop even just thinking about the existence of God.

No, I don't see any atheists and God-deniers telling mankind why and how to ascertain their heart and mind to the non-existence of God.

Conclusion: atheists and God-deniers are not really concerned about God existing or not existing, they just want to free themselves from - not God, but religion, in particular the moral taboos imposed by the monotheistic religions on most especially sexual immorality.

Now, I will take to my personal interest to ask atheists and all sorts and manners of God-deniers, why and how you have come to the conclusion that God does not exist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
9 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

The big question is if he accepts that his assumption was wrong. I hope he does. 

Not a chance. This entire thread was constructed to belittle atheists. 

And yet my comments got deleted. Seems ironic. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
1 hour ago, oslove said:

So, generally atheists and all sorts and manners of God-deniers who write in this thread, they don't have any message for mankind than what non-atheists and non-God-deniers also have.

Hi Oslove

Yes why wouldn't we it's not like we are genetically different we live in the same world and many of our positions will align whether we believe in god or not.

1 hour ago, oslove said:

why and how you have come to the conclusion that God does not exist?

The lack of physical evidence, the stories that the belief system is built on have not shown anywhere in history where god has shown an impact on our physical world/elements.

jmccr8

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
On 2/21/2021 at 7:48 PM, onlookerofmayhem said:

You are completely and totally wrong.

It's a possibility, granted, but far from an inevitability.

The exact same condition can arise in a theist. Why would that be so if one does believe in a god?

Your statement is filled with an arrogance unbecoming of the love and compassion you speak of in other posts.

Life is not meaningless, filled with despair, dark or poisonous just because one doesn't have enough reason to believe in a god.

I am considerably in awe and amazement at the natural world on a daily basis. 

It's amazing to be alive and aware.

No matter how broad a brush you use to try and paint atheists into this nihilistic, pointless and bereft existence you are completely and utterly mistaken.

And as a clarification on your position :

Define god.

To me its the difference between a spiritual way of living and a materialist way 

A materialist life style usually ends with disappointment, because humans need more than physical things 

A spiritual  life will lead to contentment, purpose, and happiness, even when there are few material comforts 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nuclear Wessel
17 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Not a chance. This entire thread was constructed to belittle atheists. 

And yet my comments got deleted. Seems ironic. 

Some of mine did, too... :rolleyes:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
11 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Some of mine did, too... :rolleyes:

This poster in particular shows up about every six months to assert his superiority by insulting atheists. Usually it comes back to a first cause argument and I would but be surprised to see that pop up in this thread. He seems to think insulting others makes him superior.

I'd argue that.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onlookerofmayhem
18 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

A materialist life style usually ends with disappointment, because humans need more than physical things 

A spiritual  life will lead to contentment, purpose, and happiness, even when there are few material comforts 

Bull ****.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nuclear Wessel
2 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Bull ****.

No ****.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
4 hours ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Bull ****.

Truth :) 

Read a little psychology  :)  Humans have more needs than the physical, and once the basic physical needs of food, shelter, and safety, etc., are met,  then the psychological ones become more important than greater/more material wealth or possessions.

To be mentally healthy and well we need things like a sense of purpose ,companionship and belonging.

We need love, respect, and     to be able to respect and love ourselves as people. 

The top three levels of this pyramid are all things of the human spirit.

ie spiritual needs 

You don't need material wealth to have those things, but you need aspects of the human spirit. 

maslow's hierarchy of needs five stage pyramid

 

https://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html#gsc.tab=0

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
3 hours ago, glorybebe said:

The pompousness of the OP is unbelievable.   Why do we have to have a message?  I am pagan, but, according to the Christians I have talked to, I am lumped in with the atheists.   Why can't we live and let live?  We have JoHos knocking at the door (pre covid), people walking around with signs proclaiming God or Jesus or both will save us, and we have preachers on the TV telling us that we are going to hell unless we send them money.  The only time I see or hear atheists speaking up is when a Christian gets on their high horse.  Is that what God's message is supposed to be?  Judging everyone who doesn't believe the same as you?  Where are the loving, forgiving, non-judgmental Christians everyone claims to be?

In other words, are you saying that  atheists have nothing positive  to offer others ? :)

It is quite logical and reasonable to  judge behaviours, based on the outcomes they produce.  We (and the law)  do this all the time 

No human, however, has the right, or the abilty, to judge another human being.

We simply are not qualified to do so.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rlyeh
6 hours ago, oslove said:

Conclusion: atheists and God-deniers are not really concerned about God existing or not existing, they just want to free themselves from - not God, but religion, in particular the moral taboos imposed by the monotheistic religions on most especially sexual immorality.

I can't see where anyone has mentioned sexual immorality.

Conclusion: oslove needs God to prevent him from acting on his perverted thoughts, assumes everyone else does too.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
glorybebe
29 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

In other words, are you saying that  atheists have nothing positive  to offer others ? :)

It is quite logical and reasonable to  judge behaviours, based on the outcomes they produce.  We (and the law)  do this all the time 

No human, however, has the right, or the abilty, to judge another human being.

We simply are not qualified to do so.  

Boy, is that a twist on words.  Proves my point, doesn't it?

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Djedi
7 hours ago, oslove said:

I am still entertaining another idea: that atheists and God-deniers tell mankind why and how they should stop even just thinking about the existence of God.

Weird idea IMHO, because that's what many religious leaders / institutions want; you don't think about the existence of God (especially not in a critical way), you accept the existence of God on blind faith (the blinder the better). 

My thinking about the existence of God(s), goddesses, etc... led me eventually to atheism, so I personally would encourage thinking about the their existence.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xeno-Fish
3 minutes ago, Djedi said:

Weird idea IMHO, because that's what many religious leaders / institutions want; you don't think about the existence of God (especially not in a critical way), you accept the existence of God on blind faith (the blinder the better). 

My thinking about the existence of God(s), goddesses, etc... led me eventually to atheism, so I personally would encourage thinking about the their existence.

Looking at the various gods can show you the human thought process. Where we once thought that the rain was caused by X god, same with the harvest, etc. As culture changed so did our gods. It's more telling about our-selves than anything. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xeno-Fish
7 hours ago, oslove said:

Now, I will take to my personal interest to ask atheists and all sorts and manners of God-deniers, why and how you have come to the conclusion that God does not exist?

I'm an apatheist, I do not know and don't care if an actual god exist. I am an atheist in regards to all the man made gods. 

Why? Because too many religions, to many "this is the true faith", and too much unnecessary arguments of those "true faiths". Just another thorn. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onlookerofmayhem
2 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

The top three levels of this pyramid are all things of the human spirit.

ie spiritual needs 

You don't need material wealth to have those things, but you need aspects of the human spirit. 

Your equivocation fallacy has nothing to do with the quote I called bull**** on.

Are you really trying to say materialists are mostly incapable of meeting psychological needs(which you seem to be redefining as spiritual needs)?

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eight bits
8 hours ago, oslove said:

Conclusion: atheists and God-deniers ... just want to free themselves from ... the moral taboos imposed by the monotheistic religions on most especially sexual immorality.

seems to me to be a sexy restatement of your original hypothesis

8 hours ago, oslove said:

with the anonymity of the internet, atheists and God-deniers would tell mankind to do anything they want to do, except don't get caught by the law,

And when that turned out to be wrong ... nothing changes.

It's not obvious to me why only a "God denier" might think that God couldn't possibly care about who gets it on with whom. I mean seriously: Jesus was suffocating under his own weight, half of his skin flayed away, and he was thinking "It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve." Well, of course. Meanwhile, his Dad has nothing useful to contribute when millions perish in the Holocaust, but he's on the case when two men or two women want to commission a cake for their wedding?

It's not a question of wanting to be free from this BS, it's a question of recognizing that it is BS, and that the preoccupations of some branches of "the monotheistic religions" have nothing to do with anything worthy of the name ethics or morality.

If our concern were exclusively self-proclaimed "moral" impositions, then we'd never reach the question of God.

 

 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noteverythingisaconspiracy
9 hours ago, oslove said:

So, generally atheists and all sorts and manners of God-deniers who write in this thread, they don't have any message for mankind than what non-atheists and non-God-deniers also have.

So you have just proven that you don't really need religion to be moral. Good for you.

9 hours ago, oslove said:

From my part, aside from entertaining the idea that with the anonymity of the internet, atheists and God-deniers would tell mankind to do anything they want to do, except don't get caught by the law,

So what you are saying is that you haven't really learned anything.

9 hours ago, oslove said:

I am still entertaining another idea: that atheists and God-deniers tell mankind why and how they should stop even just thinking about the existence of God.

Do you often think about the existence of Allah, Odin, Ra or Zeus ?

9 hours ago, oslove said:

No, I don't see any atheists and God-deniers telling mankind why and how to ascertain their heart and mind to the non-existence of God.

I don't know what that means.

9 hours ago, oslove said:

Conclusion: atheists and God-deniers are not really concerned about God existing or not existing, they just want to free themselves from - not God, but religion, in particular the moral taboos imposed by the monotheistic religions on most especially sexual immorality.

I just want to know what is true. So far I have seen no reason to believe that a god exists. There are literally thousands of different religious denominations and they all claim to be true. How could I know which one is true, if any ?

As for taboos and immorality we have secular laws for that. Laws that are alot more reasonable than the ones you find in holy books. 

9 hours ago, oslove said:

Now, I will take to my personal interest to ask atheists and all sorts and manners of God-deniers, why and how you have come to the conclusion that God does not exist?

Lack of evidence.

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Liquid Gardens
4 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Read a little psychology

Read what you wrote, you said a materialist life style 'usually' ends in disappointment.  Ha, and your evidence for that is Maslow?  Psychological needs, socialization, and self-actualization are no more 'spiritual' than they are 'materialist'.  'Spiritual' needs were added to the pyramid a couple decades later as 'transcendence' needs, which is why your above pyramid doesn't say a thing about 'spiritual' anything.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nuclear Wessel
2 hours ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Your equivocation fallacy has nothing to do with the quote I called bull**** on.

Are you really trying to say materialists are mostly incapable of meeting psychological needs(which you seem to be redefining as spiritual needs)?

 

Come on, man... don't feed the local wildlife.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rashore
11 hours ago, oslove said:

So, generally atheists and all sorts and manners of God-deniers who write in this thread, they don't have any message for mankind than what non-atheists and non-God-deniers also have.

 

From my part, aside from entertaining the idea that with the anonymity of the internet, atheists and God-deniers would tell mankind to do anything they want to do, except don't get caught by the law, I am still entertaining another idea: that atheists and God-deniers tell mankind why and how they should stop even just thinking about the existence of God.

 

No, I don't see any atheists and God-deniers telling mankind why and how to ascertain their heart and mind to the non-existence of God.

 

Conclusion: atheists and God-deniers are not really concerned about God existing or not existing, they just want to free themselves from - not God, but religion, in particular the moral taboos imposed by the monotheistic religions on most especially sexual immorality.

 

Now, I will take to my personal interest to ask atheists and all sorts and manners of God-deniers, why and how you have come to the conclusion that God does not exist?

 

I'm sure God does exist for those that apply to that particular religious construct. God is of the Christianity construct. Other faiths have other deity names, some faiths are more organized into religions than others.

Not having God, or another monotheistic deity has absolutely no bearing on sexual immorality. Folks of other faiths or none at all can be just as sexually moral as monotheistic folk- and there sure are a lot of sexually immoral monotheistic folks despite their God or other single deity and the rules of those religions.

Christianity just isn't my cup of tea, so I don't personally believe in the deity system that goes along with it. God does not exist for me because I'm not of the faith that utilizes that religious construct.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.