Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Reparations for slave descendants?

Eldorado

On 2/20/2021 at 6:39 PM, Katniss said:

It's not that. I just can't help but be suspicious of the poll because it doesn't make sense to me with sooooo many white supremacist groups in the U.S.

You have been brainwashed by the left leaning media.   I'm 50 years old.  I mostly lean right.  I have lived in Missouri, Illinois and Indiana.   Mostly rural areas.   I have never known of a "white supremacist" group.  Sure there are lots of idiots on the internet who post stuff for reactions, but in reality there are not groups all over the place.  

Anyone who thinks reparations is a good thing is not a smart person.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I know you don't realise it but your post actually supports reparations. It's been centuries and they're still paying. Your entire system is designed to keep them down, from the racial disparity in the justice system to the racial disparity in employment and everything in between.

I do hope you eventually find some self awareness though. 

That’s just not true. Slavery from the past isn’t holding anyone down. Back in the 40’s and 50’s despite actual racism, black people were doing much better than black inner city folks today. 

It’s globalist policy’s that sent jobs away from this country, and welfare programs that removed fathers from homes, and the war on drugs, that have decimated the black communities. 

Slavery today is just an excuse those who forced these things on black people use to divert from the fact that they committed these crimes against black people. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

That’s just not true. Slavery from the past isn’t holding anyone down. Back in the 40’s and 50’s despite actual racism, black people were doing much better than black inner city folks today. 

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LNS14000031

African American unemployment was at an all time low and they voted out the President it happened under.  Most of the hardships they are having is self-inflicted.    

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Myles said:

You have been brainwashed by the left leaning media.   I'm 50 years old.  I mostly lean right.  I have lived in Missouri, Illinois and Indiana.   Mostly rural areas.   I have never known of a "white supremacist" group.  Sure there are lots of idiots on the internet who post stuff for reactions, but in reality there are not groups all over the place.

Really? How odd. You must of lived a sheltered life, Myles. That's not what I'm seeing on this map by SPLC, I'm seeing several hate groups listed in all those states you lived in. There are 22 in Missouri right now.

https://www.splcenter.org/hate-map

Oh my! And if you scroll the HATE OVER TIME bar at the bottom left of the map, all the way back to 2000, there were many more in those states you lived in. How in the world did you miss all those hate groups? Wow! :lol:

Anyone who thinks reparations is a good thing is not a smart person. 

And who are you talking to with that single statement? Did I mention anything about reparations? Nope!

Edited by Katniss
  • Like 1

Southern Poverty Law Center is basically a hate group in itself. Focuses on Conservative and Christian groups, and ignores far left and Muslim groups. For "reasons"....

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

I could get behind some kind of reparations. But, it is my belief that it would never be enough. If you gave every black person in the US $200,000 dollars, they'd say it needs to be $500,000. 

There's no way to ever make this work. It will just be handing out money with NONE of the actual issues being addressed. 

Let's address the underlying issues. Including the criminal worshipping subcultures. For real, long term, peace. For everyone.

Being permissive is not the answer. Thats why we have the horrible homeless problem we do. We permit the homeless to live the way they do, because, "who are we to judge" their culture.

5 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Southern Poverty Law Center is basically a hate group in itself. Focuses on Conservative and Christian groups, and ignores far left and Muslim groups. For "reasons"....

Many people don't understand that and refuse to even consider it.

• Like 2

Would anyone opose the reparation being payed out only by companies who directly profited from slavery and that are still operating today?

As for who could be eligible for reparation this would be easy to find out with probably 90% accuracy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

I could get behind some kind of reparations. But, it is my belief that it would never be enough. If you gave every person in the US $200,000 dollars, they'd say it needs to be $500,000. 

Deleted "black" infront of "person". Fitts better and makes you look less biggoted and racist. I got your back, man.

You are welcome!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/21/2021 at 2:09 PM, Essan said:

There is also the question of whether any of those whose ancestors were enslaved are today better off that they would otherwise have been?

I suggest any African-American who wants compensation first spends 20 years liviing in Liberia.   And then tell me that being Ameirican is really so much worse ....

We don't know that. We would have to go back in time, with no african slaves being dragged to America and see how it would have unfolded on both continents.

You do make a good point. You have to ask yourself, when does it  stop?  I don't think it's stopped between the germans and the jews in regards to confiscated art work, property etc. Maybe slowed some ,but not stopped. The Turks owe me and my relatives in Hungary , a lot of money for  the relatives there whp were raped or killed during their various invasions in the region.And in Romania, Moldavia etc. but i'm  not holding my breath   ,because they aren't going to pay any of us anything.

Also there are a lot of americans who came here before and especially after the Civil War, from Germany, France, Italy, Poland, Hungary, the Basque regions of France and Spain, Danes, Swedes, Norwegians, Finns,etc.Are you going to tell the descendants of some Russian jew whose own family came here because of the programs of the Czar they owe these people money? Are native americans  going to have to pay too? Did  native americans own any slaves? I know they  had  captives like Herman Lehman and Cynthia Parker of Texas, and in other places.Now you have people who are black from other places like Africa that came in modern times. Do we pay them just because they are black? Or  do they have to  pay these reparations out too.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think it's clear to most people that reperations are just about buying votes.

Targeting specific things like public education, crime, poverty, etc. Would make more sense. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 5

57 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Actually they do list those as hate groups on the map too. Maybe the "reasons" is because they are just not as many of the far left and Muslim groups as there are other groups?

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/group/nation-islam

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/group/nuwaubian-nation-moors

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/group/new-black-panther-party-self-defense

• Like 1

Southern Poverty Law Center Settles Lawsuit After Falsely Labeling 'Extremist' Organization

The Southern Poverty Law Center apologized and agreed Monday to a settlement of $3.375 million to Maajid Nawaz's Quilliam Foundation after admitting to falsely labeling his advocacy organization as "extremist."

Nawaz, a former British politician who has railed against Islamic extremism and the false use of the Koran to incite violence around the globe, and Quilliam were incorrectly characterized and listed in the SPLC's "A Journalist's Manual: Field Guide to Anti-Muslim Extremists."

Nawaz, 40, announced the suit against SPLC in June of last year, and the organization admitted in its apology that it altered its position after several "human rights advocates affiliated with the United Nations" praised Nawaz's work.

https://www.newsweek.com/splc-nawaz-million-apologizes-981879

Look up how many people have filed suit and won cases against the SPLC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, odas said:

Would anyone opose the reparation being payed out only by companies who directly profited from slavery and that are still operating today?

As for who could be eligible for reparation this would be easy to find out with probably 90% accuracy.

Why? What is the benefit to society?

You want people who never owned slaves to pay people who were never slaves for the sins of their great-great grandfathers. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

5 hours ago, glorybebe said:

This man is looking at the big picture and what it would mean to the whole country 

I'd imagine that half or more average black Americans understand the price that would be attached to the "free money".  The anger, resentment and increased hostility from neighbors they interact with daily, would give any intelligent person pause.  

Those who have been firmly trapped in the urban plantations and depending on Uncle Sugar for EVERY PENNY THEY HAVE, know nothing but putting the hand out and expecting it to be filled.  There is ONE political party that has created that trap for them and who do they hate?  The OTHER party... 

I refuse to feel guilty for their situation and I refuse to accept blame from them or any damned body ELSE over the situation.  Between the Democrat party and national teacher's union, it's damned difficult for a black American in the inner cities to EVER break free from the soul-draining poverty and misery.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Katniss said:

Actually they do list those as hate groups on the map too. Maybe the "reasons" is because they are just not as many of the far left and Muslim groups as there are other groups?

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/group/nation-islam

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/group/nuwaubian-nation-moors

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/group/new-black-panther-party-self-defense

You do understand that number of hate groups does not necessarily mean the ideas and beliefs of the groups are wide spread and the inverse is also true that small amount of groups doesnt necessarily mean the ideas and beliefs are not wide spread.

Most of these white supremacists groups you keep believing are so wide spread most of them only have membership in the 10s, very few exceed 100 members.  Meanwhile Nation of Islam has between 20,000 and 50,000 members.  But finding out this information would require actual research beyond just looking at how many groups there are, which is a highly simplistic and deeply flawed way of doing it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, odas said:

What is the end goal? 

Give every black person $1k and then racism solved? Slavery never happened?

A month later we realize the same amount of black people are in poverty. Because reparations didn't accomplish anything. 

Just seems silly to me. I would be opposed. 

In an idea world reparations would of happened immediately after slavery. That would make sense. But doing it now is just politics.

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

Why? What is the benefit to society?

You want people who never owned slaves to pay people who were never slaves for the sins of their great-great grandfathers. 

Hm! Interresting thought. Does your point of view count only for the speciffic people in this thread or should it count for everyone? 

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

https://www.newsweek.com/splc-nawaz-million-apologizes-981879

Look up how many people have filed suit and won cases against the SPLC.

Wow! Your right. But when I googled it, all I can see is that one lawsuit the SPLC lost to them. And yet it looks like several hate groups lost their lawsuits to SPLC. It's interesting how many lawsuits SPLC has won.

https://www.al.com/news/2019/09/judge-dismisses-lawsuit-against-splc-for-calling-christian-ministry-anti-lgbtq-hate-group.html

https://www.courthousenews.com/lawyer-loses-suit-over-hate-map-linking-him-to-neo-nazis/

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/judge-tosses-lawsuit-decrying-splc-hate-group-designation_n_5d80e923e4b077dcbd64b74b

https://www.au.org/church-state/march-2018-church-state/people-events/federal-judge-tosses-liberty-counsels-lawsuit

Edited by Katniss

30 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

What is the end goal? 

Give every black person $1k and then racism solved? Slavery never happened?

A month later we realize the same amount of black people are in poverty. Because reparations didn't accomplish anything. 

Just seems silly to me. I would be opposed. 

In an idea world reparations would of happened immediately after slavery. That would make sense. But doing it now is just politics.

So if your company that you owned in let's say 1880, used to get rich of slaves and is still in existence today, in 2021 and owned by your rich great great greatchildren, you think that is all fine? 

Not trying to start anything but it seems to me that there are two moral laws by the white man when it comes to sins of our fathers and grandfathers. One for the white man and one for everyone else.

Just now, odas said:

So if your company that you owned in let's say 1880, used to get rich of slaves and is still in existence today, in 2021 and owned by your rich great great greatchildren, you think that is all fine? 

Not trying to start anything but it seems to me that there are two moral laws by the white man when it comes to sins of our fathers and grandfathers. One for the white man and one for everyone else.

Once again, what is your end objective? I oppose reparations because I see it as pointless. 

And how does reparations solve your end goal? Are we trying to help people or just play politics. 

As for your second part I have no idea what you are talking about. It sounds like a personal prejudice you have. Please tell me whoes father's sins I hold against them?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Katniss said:

Wow! Your right. But when I googled it, all I can see is that one lawsuit the SPLC lost to them. And yet it looks like several hate groups lost their lawsuits to SPLC. It's interesting how many lawsuits SPLC has won.

Ahhhh, you use google...ok

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, odas said:

Not trying to start anything but it seems to me that there are two moral laws by men when it comes to sins of our fathers and grandfathers. One for one group and another for a different group.

Changed that to make you not look racist. Don't worry, I got your back. ;)

Edited by Michelle
  • Haha 5