Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Reparations for slave descendants?

202 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Katniss
18 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Read about surveys higher up in the article. Political surveys have been separated there as to methodology.

The survey on racism isn't about voting.

Okay. But who are they polling? They don't give specific details about each person they are polling. So we don't know if that is really the view of everybody in the country. Do those they polled speak for everybody?

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michelle

A Reuters/Ipsos poll conducted on Monday and Tuesday showed clear divisions along partisan and racial lines, with only one in 10 white respondents supporting the idea and half of Black respondents endorsing it.

Republicans were heavily opposed, at nearly 80%, while about one in three Democrats supported it. The poll did not ask respondents why they answered the way they did. Other critics have said too much time has passed since slavery was outlawed, and expressed confusion about how it would work.

cont...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-economy-reparations-poll/u-s-public-more-aware-of-racial-inequality-but-still-rejects-reparations-reuters-ipsos-polling-idUSKBN23W1NG

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Buzz_Light_Year
22 minutes ago, Katniss said:

Do those they polled speak for everybody?

No polls are just a very small sampling of the population and are usually rated with an error rate of +-5%.

Since the poll doesn't agree with your opinion on racism please feel free to disregard.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cookie Monster
19 minutes ago, Michelle said:

A Reuters/Ipsos poll conducted on Monday and Tuesday showed clear divisions along partisan and racial lines, with only one in 10 white respondents supporting the idea and half of Black respondents endorsing it.

Republicans were heavily opposed, at nearly 80%, while about one in three Democrats supported it. The poll did not ask respondents why they answered the way they did. Other critics have said too much time has passed since slavery was outlawed, and expressed confusion about how it would work.

cont...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-economy-reparations-poll/u-s-public-more-aware-of-racial-inequality-but-still-rejects-reparations-reuters-ipsos-polling-idUSKBN23W1NG

Course the black respondents want it, they know its free money

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michelle
4 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Course the black respondents want it, they know its free money

Even Bernie Sanders isn't sure about it. My family wasn't here during slavery and a lot of blacks are not descendants of slaves. There is no way to make it fair for everyone.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Katniss
9 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

No polls are just a very small sampling of the population and are usually rated with an error rate of +-5%.

Since the poll doesn't agree with your opinion on racism please feel free to disregard.

It's not that. I just can't help but be suspicious of the poll because it doesn't make sense to me with sooooo many white supremacist groups in the U.S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:White_supremacist_groups_in_the_United_States

So I'm having a hard time taking their poll as the gospel truth. It just doesn't make sense.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michelle

The Redneck Shop? :w00t:

And for the huge anniversary the KKK had in Chattanooga one year about ten people showed up. :D

Ooooh, scary...

 

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
14 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Course the black respondents want it, they know its free money

i'm actually surprised only half of blacks support it.  i bet it is  that half who spends entire lives on public assistance, they do not care about civil repercussions, or anything really, they just want free money coming in, 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
3 minutes ago, Michelle said:

The Redneck Shop? :w00t:

And for the huge anniversary the KKK had in Chattanooga one year about ten people showed up. :D

Ooooh, scary...

 

apparently if you are white you are white supremacist,  and in case of proud boys, you do not even have to be white.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michelle
1 minute ago, aztek said:

apparently if you are white you are white supremacist,  and in case of proud boys, you do not even have to be white.

 

Click on a some of those links in the wiki article and then look them up. You'll get a few good laughs.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
President-Elect Acidhead

 

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Buzz_Light_Year
1 hour ago, Katniss said:

It's not that. I just can't help but be suspicious of the poll because it doesn't make sense to me with sooooo many white supremacist groups in the U.S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:White_supremacist_groups_in_the_United_States

So I'm having a hard time taking their poll as the gospel truth. It just doesn't make sense.

Actually it's worse than you think.

8d6.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Katniss
36 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Actually it's worse than you think.

8d6.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Lol. :rolleyes: OMG Please! That is an old KKK pic that has been photoshopped soooo many times.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Buzz_Light_Year
26 minutes ago, Katniss said:

Lol. :rolleyes: OMG Please! That is an old KKK pic that has been photoshopped soooo many times.

 

And it's a meme.................................:rolleyes:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Katniss
7 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

And it's a meme.................................:rolleyes:

Ah-huh. Yeah right. You say that now.

Anyway here is the original newspaper pic

KKK.jpg

from this link - Early newspaper work

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Buzz_Light_Year
6 hours ago, Katniss said:

Ah-huh. Yeah right. You say that now.

Anyway here is the original newspaper pic

 

from this link - Early newspaper work

 

I've posted the gay kkk meme here before and it's a joke. A joke aimed at you because you are wound too tight for your own good. Lighten up Francis.:rolleyes:

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Wearer of Hats
8 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Actually it's worse than you think.

8d6.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

I knew that they were evil... but fans of Spongebob Squarepants? 
Truly irredeemable evil.

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
16 hours ago, aztek said:

seriously ?? you know what i meant better than i do myself?

you are prime example of virtue signaling mixed with outrage culture , you get outraged over something YOU PRECIEVE, not over something that is really there..

I DO NOT HAVE TO MENTION OTHER RACES, WHEN WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOU TOTHER RACES.  can you comprehend that simple concept?

:clap: :clap: :clap:

You found the shift key at last!!!

I am so happy for you!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Katniss
8 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

I've posted the gay kkk meme here before and it's a joke. A joke aimed at you because you are wound too tight for your own good. Lighten up Francis.:rolleyes:

Oh no, no, no - I understand what you were doing. It was just your usual d******* reply and a idiotic post at that, just because I didn't take the Rasmussen poll as the gospel truth and critically questioned their polling methods. And so you tried to dumb down an uncomfortable truth and make fun about the number of white supremacist groups with that stupid meme and I just wanted to point out your silly attempt and add a "not real" disclaimer to it just in case.

So you fired at me as a last resort, when all else failed, and I returned fire. No biggie. Okay? We good? :st

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raptor Witness

This is a tough issue, to imagine, partly because of the precedent that is sets.

Does one generation owe a past generation, or a future generation?

In South Carolina, for example, there are many wealthy rice planters who have passed down their money for generations. At the time, these African-American heroes were feeding the world, and not just the white world. For this, we should be far more grateful in our attitudes today.

One way of looking at this, is, would this be a blessing to all of U.S., if we did pay reparations.? The obvious answer is yes, but here’s the problem. How many generations back, were our white ancestors, slaves, at one time? There were many white slaves, in antiquity.

So let’s be fair, it’s a bit difficult to imagine covering multi-generational bad behavior, and ever hope to be fair in doing it.

So my initial inclination would to vote no, simply because of the difficulty in being fair to the descendants of all past slaves.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Essan

What of those Europeans whose ancestors were enslaved by the Africans.  Or the Irish, Vikings, Romans etc.    In fact, with compound interest, Italy alone probably now owes everyone in England more money than has ever existed.

There are few people in the world who do not have some ancestors who were enslaved.   In the same way there are few who are not in some distant way related to Charlemagne or Gengis Khan - or who do not have red blood.  So perhaps the best solution is that everyone just pays themselves £10,000 compensation and we simply grow up and move on with our lives?
 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Essan

There is also the question of whether any of those whose ancestors were enslaved are today better off that they would otherwise have been?

I suggest any African-American who wants compensation first spends 20 years liviing in Liberia.   And then tell me that being Ameirican is really so much worse ....
 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hugh Mungus

Just a simple question for all here.

 

How does this help to eradicate racism?

 

In my view, this can only make people focus more on what divides us, instead of what unites us.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind
23 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Other races aren't being considered for reparations.

https://www.investmentwatchblog.com/food-stamps-ebt-snap-numbers-by-race/

 

I know you don't realise it but your post actually supports reparations. It's been centuries and they're still paying. Your entire system is designed to keep them down, from the racial disparity in the justice system to the racial disparity in employment and everything in between.

I do hope you eventually find some self awareness though. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
29 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I know you don't realise it but your post actually supports reparations. It's been centuries and they're still paying. Your entire system is designed to keep them down, from the racial disparity in the justice system to the racial disparity in employment and everything in between.

I do hope you eventually find some self awareness though. 

What laws are "designed to keep them down".

Racial problems left are from personal bias and growing up in poverty.

There are no longer laws systemically keeping black people down.

 

 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.