Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Still Waters

Five rovers reach Mars, when will humans go?

Still Waters

With its impeccable landing on Thursday, NASA's Perseverance became the fifth rover to reach Mars—so when can we finally expect the long-held goal of a crewed expedition to materialize?

NASA's current Artemis program is billed as a "Moon to Mars" mission, and acting administrator Steve Jurczyk has reiterated his aspiration of "the mid-to-end of the 2030s" for American boots on the Red Planet.

But while the trip is technologically almost within grasp, experts say it's probably still decades out because of funding uncertainties.

https://phys.org/news/2021-02-america-rovers-marswhen-humans.html

• Like 8

Noteverythingisaconspiracy

I won't even try to make a prediction as to when humans will land on Mars, but it is encouraging that we will soon see the kind of heavy launch vehicles that we need to get there. Both NASA's SLS and Space-X's Starship should be operational by the mid twenties. Russia and China are also working on heavy launch vehicles, but their status is less clear.

Like the article says the biggest stumbling block is funding. Going to Mars isn't cheap.

• Like 4

XenoFish

Humans going to Mars is a pipe dream. 

Hammerclaw

There's no reason to go to Mars, as we did to the moon; robots are doing the science we did on those missions just fine. Getting to Mars isn't a problem; defining the reason to go, is. Also, another twenty years of technological development would be better before we go. To explore Mars, we need a permanent space station in orbit around the planet to transit from to the surface and back. When we finally do go Mars, we'll be going stay, in orbit first and later, permanent research and exploration facilities on the surface.

• Like 1

moonman
15 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Humans going to Mars is a pipe dream. 

Some said that about the moon.

It is the logical next step for space exploration, it may not happen according to any current time frame, but it most definitely will happen.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 3

XenoFish

I still don't see it happening. 

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

I still don't see it happening. 

You might be right, but I hope you are wrong.

spartan max2

I'm hoping in my lifetime. Just to see it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

I'm hoping in my lifetime. Just to see it.

Me too. I wasn't alive for the Moon landings, but I hope to see the first Mars landing.

• Like 2

XenoFish
14 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Me too. I wasn't alive for the Moon landings, but I hope to see the first Mars landing.

I wasn't alive for that either. I just don't think we can successfully get people there. It'll be a rocket powered coffin.

L.A.T.1961

The moon landings were motivated by politics and I doubt if the US would like to see China put humans on Mars first.

I expect enough money to be found for NASA to make sure its an American flag that's planted first. :st

The next close approach of Mars is 2035 which would make a good date to aim at for a mission but China might be ready by then as well?

Would be interesting to see two manned craft racing to get there first. 

• Like 1

ted hughes
7 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

A lot of people believe the moon landings were faked- life can't survive the Van Allen Belts. I think they are entitled to their opinions, but by denying it, they are missing out on one of the greatest achievements of all time.