Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
ted hughes

Extremist views and Complex tasks

Recommended Posts

 
ted hughes

Our brains hold clues for the ideologies we choose to live by, according to research, which has suggested that people who espouse extremist attitudes tend to perform poorly on complex mental tasks.

Researchers from the University of Cambridge sought to evaluate whether cognitive disposition – differences in how information is perceived and processed – sculpt ideological world-views such as political, nationalistic and dogmatic beliefs, beyond the impact of traditional demographic factors like age, race and gender.

The study, built on previous research, included more than 330 US-based participants aged 22 to 63 who were exposed to a battery of tests – 37 neuropsychological tasks and 22 personality surveys – over the course of two weeks.

People with extremist views less able to do complex mental tasks, research suggests | Psychology | The Guardian

Edited by ted hughes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quiXilver

Psychiatry is beginning to identify fundamentalist thinking as a mental illness/deficiency.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ouija ouija
2 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

Psychiatry is beginning to identify fundamentalist thinking as a mental illness/deficiency.

How clever of 'psychiatry'! In no time at all people will be getting locked up and the keys thrown away, just because of their beliefs.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
12 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

How clever of 'psychiatry'! In no time at all people will be getting locked up and the keys thrown away, just because of their beliefs.

No need. This planet is an insane asylum.

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quiXilver
13 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

How clever of 'psychiatry'! In no time at all people will be getting locked up and the keys thrown away, just because of their beliefs.

at least you're not bitter about it...

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smanthaonvaca
On 2/22/2021 at 1:25 AM, ted hughes said:

The study, built on previous research, included more than 330 US-based participants aged 22 to 63 who were exposed to a battery of tests – 37 neuropsychological tasks and 22 personality surveys – over the course of two weeks.

Yeah I'm going to avoid reading this and label this one as pseudoscience for confirmation bias based on the headline and organization of the sampling. 

Extremism can be wacky and annoying from my experience with extremists, but I think it is a loosely based definition to begin with. You could find a reason to label anyone as an extremist, as you could argue and convince people that they are any other label. Doesn't take a genius. They are already testing something that is not a solid science. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ted hughes
10 hours ago, smanthaonvaca said:

Yeah I'm going to avoid reading this and label this one as pseudoscience for confirmation bias based on the headline and organization of the sampling. 

Extremism can be wacky and annoying from my experience with extremists, but I think it is a loosely based definition to begin with. You could find a reason to label anyone as an extremist, as you could argue and convince people that they are any other label. Doesn't take a genius. They are already testing something that is not a solid science. 

Wacky and annoying? Try telling that to the law enforcers who have to deal with the sometimes deadly consequences: New UK laws needed to stop hate speech and extremism, says report | Counter-terrorism policy | The Guardian

You could find a reason to label anyone as an extremist? Of course you couldn't. Most people aren't extremists, that's why extremists are called...well...extreme. Why not think before you type?

Edited by ted hughes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ted hughes
On 2/22/2021 at 12:11 PM, quiXilver said:

Psychiatry is beginning to identify fundamentalist thinking as a mental illness/deficiency.

It has always been considered borderline- quite rightly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.