Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Alleged thylacine photos to be released

Carnoferox

The Thylacine Awareness Group of Australia is claiming to have captured photos of three thylacines using a camera trap, two adults and a joey, that they will release on March 1.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Tasmanian Tiger? We'll see. I'm guessing we never hear anymore about this, would be cool if true. 

• Like 3

Personally I have no faith in these claims. Neil Waters has promoted dubious "thylacine" footage that more likely showed mangy foxes/dogs on more than one occasion.

https://www.earthtouchnews.com/wtf/wtf/has-a-living-thylacine-finally-been-spotted-probably-not/

https://www.sciencealert.com/people-are-freaking-out-over-this-alleged-sighting-of-an-extinct-tasmanian-tiger

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

There's also this frankly hilarious video from Waters' Thylacine Awareness Group that claims these photos are "thylacines".

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

It would be good to hear Nick Mooney's take on it all, though, since the footage has been sent in to him.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

There's also this frankly hilarious video from Waters' Thylacine Awareness Group that claims these photos are "thylacines".

Well... classic foggy photos...

In all these pictures trap, I would be glad to see all good photos taken of all species present on their site for comparison. It's always a lone and bad picture of something without any way to compare size and coloration...

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 1

I'm encouraged by the fact that there are supposedly multiple animals within the photo, and that one of them is in pretty clear focus from the description. It would be easier to judge whether it's just a mangy fox or dog if everything is in better focus... and the fact that Nick Mooney will have a chance to weigh in is also rather good. The Tasmania location also encourages me, as does the fact that the past year has been a good one for wildlife sightings in general. Strange things have been cropping up with humans being less active on the planet. Now would, theoretically, be a good time for a thylacine to rear its head if they are still out there.

All that having been said, yes, there is a good chance that this is just more nothing... but thylacines still being out there is one of the less fringy things to believe in, imo. Continued decent sightings through the 70s work in their favor.

• Like 2

Why the holding back to release the pic is he taking bids from tabloids?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm hopeful but don't have my hopes up too high.  Waters name being attached makes me skeptical.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Carnoferox said:

Umm, they look like some sort of marsupial rat, which I suppose there's plenty of down under there. Does not look anything like a Tasmanian Tiger. Just my non expert opinion. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Umm, they look like some sort of marsupial rat, which I suppose there's plenty of down under there. Does not look anything like a Tasmanian Tiger. Just my non expert opinion. 

A pademelon and/or wallaby are my guesses.

• Like 3

Nick Mooney of the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery has confirmed that the photos are pademelons and not thylacines. Who could’ve guessed that Neil would make the same mistake again? :lol:

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Been following in the subreddit High Strangeness. Someone claiming to be a member of the team who found the footage has left comments.

Not too sure what to make of it but if true, would be a great find.

4 hours ago, Carnoferox said:

Nick Mooney of the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery has confirmed that the photos are pademelons and not thylacines. Who could’ve guessed that Neil would make the same mistake again? :lol:

I for one am absolutely astounded. I never saw that coming.

• Like 5

yeah most likely bs attention seeker. 

"oh photos to be released"....oh for fokésáke whats the old up? Even an old school scanner can get things done within minutes.

Whenever you hear that footage/pictures will be released on a certain date, the Law of the Universe dictates the following, they will either be:

1) non existent

2) hilariously awful 

No option 3

Though the bloke in the video was charming, in his own way

Edited by HandsomeGorilla
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Carnoferox said:

How can you take a pademelon for a thylacine is the biggest mystery I have seen in 2021 !

Mountain Peak Photography — Tasmanian Pademelon

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 2