Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Alleged thylacine photos to be released

Carnoferox

I was following /highstrangeness subreddit too and yeah, chances are almost non-existant but I still want to see the photos because I'm curious how someone who had been around Tasmania for a long while and it is educated in local fauna can confuse a regular local animal with a thylacine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBene said:

I'm curious how someone who had been around Tasmania for a long while and it is educated in local fauna can confuse a regular local animal with a thylacine. 

Have enough of those James Squire draughts and you'll confuse it for a beluga :rofl: 

• Haha 1

On 2/23/2021 at 1:02 AM, Carnoferox said:

Nick Mooney of the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery has confirmed that the photos are pademelons and not thylacines. Who could’ve guessed that Neil would make the same mistake again? :lol:

So he plans on a March 1st release, but he shows people and lets them discredit them?    he not a very good con artist.  

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Myles said:

So he plans on a March 1st release, but he shows people and lets them discredit them?    he not a very good con artist.  

Ah, but perhaps not. If someone got a hell of a lot of attention (Christ alone knows why) by being able to claim they'd handed photos of whatever to the experts for scrutiny, whatever those experts said they couldn't release them without the owner's permission. If they were so inclined I'm sure the owner could string it out under some tawdry little conspiracy  angle for a very long time to come. Especially if they had an especially 'trusting' following. 

Or perhaps it'd just be a plain old stupid move. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

It is Tasmania, lol.

12 hours ago, oldrover said:

Ah, but perhaps not. If someone got a hell of a lot of attention (Christ alone knows why) by being able to claim they'd handed photos of whatever to the experts for scrutiny, whatever those experts said they couldn't release them without the owner's permission. If they were so inclined I'm sure the owner could string it out under some tawdry little conspiracy  angle for a very long time to come. Especially if they had an especially 'trusting' following. 

Scratch that. He's apparently going to go public. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/23/2021 at 5:12 AM, Carnoferox said:

A pademelon

tis what the experts have said.. 

2 minutes ago, DingoLingo said:

tis what the experts have said.. 

They haven't investigated my Thylacine yet.

I've also spotted a rare black kangaroo.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUPije-p9a6G0ebjRvbPy

I should probably call Mr. Waters, what do you reckon? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

9 hours ago, psyche101 said:

They haven't investigated my Thylacine yet.

I've also spotted a rare black kangaroo.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUPije-p9a6G0ebjRvbPy

I should probably call Mr. Waters, what do you reckon? 

Toiga!

• Haha 3

On 2/23/2021 at 12:21 PM, Twin said:

These are excellent photos, compared to most bigfoot photos I've seen.

Agreed. Excellent photos of marsupial rodents. 

• Like 1

What makes people so fixated on trying to prove the thylacine – also known as the Tasmanian tiger and last spotted in 1936 – isn’t extinct?

Guardian article at MSN: Link

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eldorado said:

What makes people so fixated on trying to prove the thylacine – also known as the Tasmanian tiger and last spotted in 1936 – isn’t extinct?

Guardian article at MSN: Link

As said in the link it's all about ego mainly. On the slim chance the tiger still survives they should just leave it alone to breed up instead of interfering. Animals will come back naturally if they still exist and left undisturbed, even in adverse conditions such as in Chernobyl.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, openozy said:

As said in the link it's all about ego mainly. On the slim chance the tiger still survives they should just leave it alone to breed up instead of interfering. Animals will come back naturally if they still exist and left undisturbed, even in adverse conditions such as in Chernobyl.

It's a realistic cryptid. It's not like Nessie or Bigfoot. It actually existed until very recently. I'd say that's what fired people up. Ive always felt it's possible although extremely unlikely. That hairs and paw tracks were identified by David Flaey in the 50s, no specimens or photos though. He knew the animal quite well, so it seems a legitimate claim.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

It's a realistic cryptid. It's not like Nessie or Bigfoot. It actually existed until very recently

I realise that, I just think the search for it is fueled by people's ego's, wanting their name up in lights more than anything else.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, psyche101 said:

It's a realistic cryptid. It's not like Nessie or Bigfoot. It actually existed until very recently. I'd say that's what fired people up. Ive always felt it's possible although extremely unlikely. That hairs and paw tracks were identified by David Flaey in the 50s, no specimens or photos though. He knew the animal quite well, so it seems a legitimate claim.

I've got nothing but respect for David Fleay, his observations are the gold standard as regards the last captive and had he secured a pair back in 1934 he was probably the only one who might have bred them, he didn't have very much contact with the species though. 

The hairs and scat were identified at the time by Joseph Pearson, director of the Tasmanian Museum, unfortunately when the hair samples were rediscovered recently they turned out not to be a match, I think they were wombat but I'm not sure. As to the scat it would have just been Pearson's opinion, and he didn't arrive in Tasmania until 1934 by which time the only known tiger was the one in Beaumaris. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, oldrover said:

I've got nothing but respect for David Fleay, his observations are the gold standard as regards the last captive and had he secured a pair back in 1934 he was probably the only one who might have bred them, he didn't have very much contact with the species though. 

The hairs and scat were identified at the time by Joseph Pearson, director of the Tasmanian Museum, unfortunately when the hair samples were rediscovered recently they turned out not to be a match, I think they were wombat but I'm not sure. As to the scat it would have just been Pearson's opinion, and he didn't arrive in Tasmania until 1934 by which time the only known tiger was the one in Beaumaris. 

Is that from the 1950s expedition? I didn't realise samples had been returned.

A great man, there is a wildlife park in his honour fairly close to me. His life in pictures and exhibits. Quite a great place, but surprising at how few locals know about it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Is that from the 1950s expedition? I didn't realise samples had been returned.

A great man, there is a wildlife park in his honour fairly close to me. His life in pictures and exhibits. Quite a great place, but surprising at how few locals know about it. 

That'd be from the 1945/46 West-Coast expedition. I'm not sure how many times he went but he was there at least once during the war too. 

He was a great guy no doubt about it. Didn't get on with management either.

• Like 2

One pic looks like a cat eating a marsupial, what they say is the tail is its ear and it's facing the camera.

• Haha 1

how am I disappointed when I expected the pics to be bad?

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Carnoferox said:

The photos have now been released, and they are just as disappointing as I expected.

That's a cat isn't it? What a joke...

2 hours ago, Myles said:

how am I disappointed when I expected the pics to be bad?

Troublesome to have a blurred picture of his cat...

• Haha 1

I have no respect for the man or his organization.  To market such a lousy video and pics as something conclusive is a major flaw in his character.  

• Like 3