Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The most mysterious song on the internet

Poncho_Peanatus

From wikipedia

"The Most Mysterious Song on the Internet" (also known as "Like the Wind", "Blind the Wind", "Check It In, Check It Out" or "Take It In, Take It Out" after lines in fan-interpreted lyrics) is the nickname given to a song recording, most likely composed in the 1980s, whose origin, author, name, and original record date are unknown.

In the early 80's in Germany a young teenager with the habit of recording songs from the radio, came across this obscure track, allegedly played by NDR (Norddeutchsce rundfunk) broadcast in the late 1983 or 84. Since 2019 reddit, discord, youtube and other social media has been involved in a unprecedented effort in finding the origins of this song.

https://www.spontis.de/musik/most-mysterious-song/

Since 2019 the search has gone viral both on and offline. Paul Baskerville one of the DJ's who use to play music during that time in the 1980 dont remember the song, but hypothesize that it may have been a demo played by a DJ and then thrown away. 

During the search lots of fake leads including the idea that its all a hoax have appeared but also some probable and promising ones, like S.I.M (statues in motion) a greek band very active in those years, anywyas in the latest Reddit updates it seems they are falling of favor.

Itsa a catchy song and a very interesting mystery that still today keep many many people over the world busy.

Poncho_Peanatus

• Like 3

I remember this.  It sounds like some kind of 80's television show song, not really that interesting.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I remember this.  It sounds like some kind of 80's television show song, not really that interesting.

this is the thing, most people remember this, but nobody has been able so far to pinpoint it. And we are talking about LOTS and LOTS of people, ranging from simple users like me to professional DJ's and even singers. Mephisto Waltz for example, made their own cover with this song. But even them have no idea who, when and where this song comes by.

• Like 1

Does it matter?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Poncho_Peanatus said:

this is the thing, most people remember this, but nobody has been able so far to pinpoint it. And we are talking about LOTS and LOTS of people, ranging from simple users like me to professional DJ's and even singers. Mephisto Waltz for example, made their own cover with this song. But even them have no idea who, when and where this song comes by.

I know there was another thread about this last year and someone did pinpoint it if I remember correctly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

all the searches till now has been fruitless. The closest candidate was SIM (Statues in Motion) but this has also been a dud. 

Its not whit out reason its called 'the most mysterious song on the internet' TMMSI for short.

I didnt know there was another thread on this, I did search to avoid posting a duplicate. Damn !

3 minutes ago, Poncho_Peanatus said:

all the searches till now has been fruitless. The closest candidate was SIM (Statues in Motion) but this has also been a dud. 

Its not whit out reason its called 'the most mysterious song on the internet' TMMSI for short.

I didnt know there was another thread on this, I did search to avoid posting a duplicate. Damn !

Well, it seems like it is such a classic pop structure and notes that it isn't really mysterious, someone just made an internet subject out of it.  It is such a mundane piece of music it is amazing to me that so many are even bothering.    I will see if I can find the thread.

• Like 2

I found two other threads with the exact same topic name.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Poncho_Peanatus said:

MAAAAAN COME OOOOOOON.

I wrote song, mysterious and internet. And I came up with nothing, how did you do it?

I used the search function at the top, typed in mysterious music.   Clicked the search button and pop there they were.   I did make sure the search included both words.  (bottom option on the search function)

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Well, it seems like it is such a classic pop structure and notes that it isn't really mysterious, someone just made an internet subject out of it.  It is such a mundane piece of music it is amazing to me that so many are even bothering.    I will see if I can find the thread.

The music is catchy, but not all what we call mysteries interest everybody. Some are fascinated by mysteries like this one I (and others posted) others prefer the Bermuda triangle, Atlantis, UFO's etc.

We are all different, to each it own.

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I used the search function at the top, typed in mysterious music.   Clicked the search button and pop there they were.

understood. Alright, its official, Im incompetent in searching stuff.

Thats why I will never solve this mystery.

• Haha 4

Okay my good friend D-rat comments on my reply in the old thread and see this in new threads and was oh hell the matrix hiccupped.

So my updated reply....

I went and listened to it again, i was booking lots of bands and spinning 1 to 7 nights a week in the 80s, i likely wouldnt have played this song  it is just a bit to mediocre generic sounding,

I also believe it wasnt ever popular or someone would raise a hand and say who it is,

The thing is it might have involved 2 or 3 people in a garage studio and they dont know or care anyones hunting the song and like i said in the other thread they might have all passed away, 80s wasnt yesterday.

I dont find it odd it cant be found, for example i got a demo vhs in the 80s the goth band was out of south fl tampa area name "immaculate deception" song "its already been done" i lost the video and never could find them, no other people in the music scene here heard of them and they are not the death metal band of same name.

Another is a parody of la bamba, i had the demo cant recall bands name song was "words to la bamba".

There are likely billions of songs in the world i simply do not find it odd some cant be found of identified.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Poncho_Peanatus said:

to a lot of people yes. 

That is very sad. They need to 'get a life'.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Poncho_Peanatus said:

this is the thing, most people remember this, but nobody has been able so far to pinpoint it. 

I'm not surprised that it seems familiar to many people. It sounds like a very generic 80s song that sounds like dozens of other generic 80s songs, so it would sound familiar to anybody who listens to that kind of music. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I mean... There are thousands upon millions of ghost producers and demos that people never publicly release. It could have been a local artist or acquaintance of the person working at the radio station. Then they never found it because the artist never released it.

You know how many unreleased songs I've heard? I'm sure people who work at recording studios and related places would know even more. 

Of course the internet would decide it's "the most mysterious" but this is so bland. :hmm: I was hoping for something more like the Twilight Zone theme song or a really short clip with only half the vocals, which leaves you with a cliffhanger.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

I'm not surprised that it seems familiar to many people. It sounds like a very generic 80s song that sounds like dozens of other generic 80s songs, so it would sound familiar to anybody who listens to that kind of music. 

And now the "racetrac" gas staition pumps play new orders love vigilantes, not really but sure sounds like it.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, the13bats said:

And now the "racetrac" gas staition pumps play new orders love vigilantes, not really but sure sounds like it.

.... I'm sorry I don't understand what you're saying here. Sorry, English isn't my first language :(

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

.... I'm sorry I don't understand what you're saying here. Sorry, English isn't my first language :(

At the gas station called "race trac" here in floriduh when you get gas the pumps play a loud weird muzak loop.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, the13bats said:

At the gas station called "race trac" here in floriduh when you get gas the pumps play a loud weird muzak loop.

Aaaaaaaaaah. That sounds like it would get annoying quickly :P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Orphalesion said:

Aaaaaaaaaah. That sounds like it would get annoying quickly :P

My point was in context to your other reply was the song sounded like a new order song, but isnt.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

That is very sad. They need to 'get a life'.

No it's not, and yes Im sure most have a life.

Take care

I like this one, Its the same song just somebody added some random 80s clips. Make me nostalgic of the 80s even if Im to young to have experienced that decade.

4 hours ago, smanthaonvaca said:

I mean... There are thousands upon millions of ghost producers and demos that people never publicly release. It could have been a local artist or acquaintance of the person working at the radio station. Then they never found it because the artist never released it.

You know how many unreleased songs I've heard? I'm sure people who work at recording studios and related places would know even more. 

Of course the internet would decide it's "the most mysterious" but this is so bland. :hmm: I was hoping for something more like the Twilight Zone theme song or a really short clip with only half the vocals, which leaves you with a cliffhanger.

I love this, you have a amazing job dude. If I was you I would put them online, with the blessing of the creators of course.

If you are looking for another musical mystery, here it is. The Italian opening of Urusei Yatsura. Gracious Italian song, but nobody knows who made it, neither the italians nor the japanese. It kinda just popped out of nowhere.

Edited by Poncho_Peanatus
typos, added some stuff, removed some other.