Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Incredible video shows rover landing on Mars

UM-Bot

It is an incredible video...and incredible feat...

An incredible question...Why...are we spending billions and billions of dollars to see what the surface of Mars looks like...when we already know what the surface of Earth looks like:

sf-tents.jpg?w=636

Edited by joc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

That is one amazing video, to be sure.

2 hours ago, Peter B said:

And now I've read that the parachute contained a secret code...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/mars-rovers-giant-parachute-carried-secret-message-parachute-message-rover-ap-mars-b1806450.html

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DreadLordAvatar said:

What else is new?

Levels of cynicism reaching new highs, perhaps? :D

As for me, I was expecting mostly CGI, but that stuff was *real*!!  Hands up if you got a surprise at quickly the ground came up...  Awesome, and you can understand the sense of relief and achievement that those folks felt.  Another NASA high - they may not hit the mark with some stuff,. but overall, their track record is astonishing.

Edited by ChrLzs

Amazing! My Uncle was an Aerospace Engineer, so I grew up going with him to the Stennis NASA Space Center in Mississippi. He even gave me one of the heat tiles for the shuttle and the tool to push it into place. I've been a space nut since the Apollo missions. So, this is the kind of stuff I drool over.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Levels of cynicism reaching new highs, perhaps? :D

I get that some people are unimpressed by things they should be, it's that they go out of their way to advertise the fact I don't understand.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

I get that some people are unimpressed by things they should be, it's that they go out of their way to advertise the fact I don't understand.

Why should they be impressed? 

8 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Why should they be impressed? 

No one has to be impressed, but they should appreciate the sheer level of technical achievement enough to not make asinine comments. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad that I live in a great time. Modern technologies let us see what's happening on another planet. It's one of the reasons why I am so interested in future space exploration. Earlier all I could do is read news articles, but now I enjoy watching HD photos and videos and feel as if I'm there.