Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFO close encounter over New Mexico

Eldorado

Airliner Encountered Unidentified Fast-Moving Cylindrical Object Over New Mexico

The event, and the pilot's reaction to it, are remarkably similar to one that occurred in the same general area a few years ago.

Full article at The Drive magazine: Link

The airline was heading to Phoenix when the event happened over the northwest corner of New Mexico,

“We just had something go right over the top of us,” the pilot told air traffic control. “I hate to say this but it looked like a long cylindrical object that almost looked like a cruise missile type of thing - moving really fast right over the top of us."

Full story at ABC7 Amarillo: Link

• Like 4

5 hours ago, acute said:

It's an alien spacecraft.

Get over it!

Help us  "get over it" by proving definitively that it is in fact an extraterrestrial  craft. If you can do that convincingly I'm sure we'll all be more likely to do so.

However, no it's not.

7 minutes ago, Trelane said:

Help us  "get over it" by proving definitively that it is in fact an extraterrestrial  craft

.....and how do you propose I do that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, acute said:

.....and how do you propose I do that?

With even more sarcasm, perhaps...?  :) 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

On 2/23/2021 at 3:05 PM, ChrLzs said:

I wonder if we will ever have advanced technology fitted to all aircraft to record what the pilot sees.. I'm envisaging a small device with a camera that records a wide view from the front of the plane...

I'm pretty sure that I once saw something similar... oh yes, it's the dashcam in my car - cost about $89 iirc..

Most military aircraft are equipped with such recording devices. I think the airlines know there are strange things happening and don't want to panic their customers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, wolfpackin said:

Most military aircraft are equipped with such recording devices. I think the airlines know there are strange things happening and don't want to panic their customers.

Honestly, I'd bet that the truth regarding that claim is far less interesting.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Thanks 2

If you are in a high speed moving vehicle such as a plane, how well can you gauge whether you are in fact approaching a stationary cylindrical balloon as opposed to a fast moving, incoming UFO?

Asking for a friend.

Edited by Vox
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vox said:

If you are in a high speed moving vehicle such as a plane, how well can you gauge whether you are in fact approaching a stationary cylindrical balloon as opposed to a fast moving, incoming UFO?

Asking for a friend.

Good point. Without an established frame-of-reference "motion" is relative and can be extremely inaccurate.

And what does your "friend" have to do with anything?

Just asking for a friend...

• Like 2

So was the object on radar or not? What did aircraft command reply?  Not exactly very forthcoming are they.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

So was the object on radar or not? What did aircraft command reply?  Not exactly very forthcoming are they.

Probably because there's nothing to come forward about. No need to waste time on public statements every time someone misidentifies something.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Less than 48 hours after our initial reporting on an outright strange incident involving American Airlines Flight 2292 as it flew at 36,000 feet over the northeastern corner of New Mexico on February 21st, 2021, we have confirmation that the event in question did indeed occur and that it is being investigated by the FBI.

The FAA has released a short statement, which reads:

A pilot reported seeing an object over New Mexico shortly after noon local time on Sunday, Feb. 21, 2021. FAA air traffic controllers did not see any object in the area on their radarscopes. 

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/39416/american-airlines-confirms-pilot-report-of-bizarre-cylinder-shaped-object-over-new-mexico

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/39441/faa-releases-statement-on-airliners-encounter-with-unidentified-object-over-new-mexico

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Less than 48 hours after our initial reporting on an outright strange incident involving American Airlines Flight 2292 as it flew at 36,000 feet over the northeastern corner of New Mexico on February 21st, 2021, we have confirmation that the event in question did indeed occur and that it is being investigated by the FBI.

The FAA has released a short statement, which reads:

A pilot reported seeing an object over New Mexico shortly after noon local time on Sunday, Feb. 21, 2021. FAA air traffic controllers did not see any object in the area on their radarscopes. 

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/39416/american-airlines-confirms-pilot-report-of-bizarre-cylinder-shaped-object-over-new-mexico

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/39441/faa-releases-statement-on-airliners-encounter-with-unidentified-object-over-new-mexico

It will be interesting to see how the FBI investigates and processes the information. 

Still think that it's likely something very terrestrial and will, if anything, result in federal charges for someone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pallidin said:

Good point. Without an established frame-of-reference "motion" is relative and can be extremely inaccurate.

My friend is quite nosy.  Your friend ought to know that...

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Trelane said:

It will be interesting to see how the FBI investigates and processes the information. 

Still think that it's likely something very terrestrial and will, if anything, result in federal charges for someone.

Yes, why the FBI are involved is slightly odd given the FAA should have all the information and experience to deal with a near miss incident.

The FAA should produce a report that's reasonably easy to obtain, if not automatically published, but I have no idea what the FBI protocol is about sharing reports? 

So the fact it is apparently an FBI investigation might make any findings harder to get at? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Yes, why the FBI are involved is slightly odd given the FAA should have all the information and experience to deal with a near miss incident.

The FAA should produce a report that's reasonably easy to obtain, if not automatically published, but I have no idea what the FBI protocol is about sharing reports? 

So the fact it is apparently an FBI investigation might make any findings harder to get at? 

I would make a guess that whatever info. the FAA has it raised the red flag so to speak. So whatever that stuff is, the FBI needed to be involved for criminal investigative purposes. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pallidin said:

Is your friend single?

Just asking for a friend.

• Haha 6

44 minutes ago, NCC1701 said:

The recording sounds like this guy is just sitting on his couch, no typical aircraft hum in the background.

To offer, you might want to check-out the update links in the article.

At first the FAA denied the issue, then released a new statement confirming the authenticity of the communication.

47 minutes ago, NCC1701 said:

The recording sounds like this guy is just sitting on his couch, no typical aircraft hum in the background.

There is some background noise but the recording volume is low and it's not easy to pick up. 

9 hours ago, Vox said:

Asking for a friend.

If it passes you going in the same direction? 

26 minutes ago, mesuma said:

If it passes you going in the same direction? 

He did state it was either stationary or approaching...  They are quite different  scenarios.  The higher the *relative* velocity, and the more *opposed* that it is, the more difficult to make any judgements.  What you see as 'speed' is angular, relative speed.  There are so many factors involved that any guesses, even from experienced pilots, should be taken with a shaker full of salt, and have to be looked at in detail.

The angular bit especially is important - a close up bug or raindrop on an aircraft windshield/window can cross your entire field of view horizon to horizon in less than a second, whereas a plane several kilometres away will just dawdle across slowly... even though it is orders of magnitude faster than the bug..

• Like 4

It is strange that they don’t video record these flights, similar to a dash cam like Chrlzs mentioned. 

What up wit dat?