Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wanting to Go Electric, Need Input

HandsomeGorilla

So, after much deliberation and gaining faith in electric automobile technology, I've decided my next vehicle will be all electric or hybrid

I'm not looking to buy a damn Tesla outright, I'd like to ease into it. Right now, the Nissan Leaf and  Volkswagen e-Golf have my attention the most. I'm looking to buy newer used, however, as I'm still shaky on technology that may be in cars a few years old

I'd prefer to hear from folks who have actually owned these or other electric vehicles. Is the technology good enough that you'd buy one again? 

19 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

So, after much deliberation and gaining faith in electric automobile technology, I've decided my next vehicle will be all electric or hybrid

I'm not looking to buy a damn Tesla outright, I'd like to ease into it. Right now, the Nissan Leaf and  Volkswagen e-Golf have my attention the most. I'm looking to buy newer used, however, as I'm still shaky on technology that may be in cars a few years old

I'd prefer to hear from folks who have actually owned these or other electric vehicles. Is the technology good enough that you'd buy one again? 

Are you US or UK based or other? it will affect the cars available and there spec.

I have not owned an electric car but have been keeping an eye on developments. 

I quite like the Hyundai Kona. 

• Like 1

I'm US. The Kona has my eye, as well, but still debating how much I'd need a small suv. Small SUVs certainly have their advantages and uses, still deciding how much I really need the extra space. I'm a minimalist, but that's where a compact SUV may shine with just that little bit of extra to suit me. 

I'm absolutely a newbie to this world, so forgive my ignorance 

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I currently own a late model Toyota 4Runner and a late 90s Chevrolet Blazer, which I'm about to sell. For me, as much as I love the 4Runner, 99% of the time, it's excessive; the Blazer's storage space suits me fine. The 4Runner is probably my favorite vehicle of all time next to a Camry, and I'll be first in line to buy an electric 4Runner, but a more compact vehicle suits my needs, for the time being. 

• Like 1

I haven't owned one but there is one thing to look out for...insurance. One lady I know had to sell hers shortly after buying it because the insurance was more than her car payment every month.

1 minute ago, Michelle said:

I haven't owned one but there is one thing to look out for...insurance. One lady I know had to sell hers shortly after buying it because the insurance was more than her car payment every month.

Quite often an electric cars performance is better than an equivalent combustion engine model, this could push up the cost of insurance?  

3 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Quite often an electric cars performance is better than an equivalent combustion engine model, this could push up the cost of insurance?  

Insurance doesn't cover any mechanics of a vehicle. It only covers body work. Apparently they can be totaled very easily even in a small crash.

• Like 1

When it comes to buying an electric vehicle, many consumers might like the idea, but they sometimes balk at the purchase price, which is typically higher than that of an equivalent gasoline-powered vehicle. However, new research from Consumer Reports shows that when total ownership cost is considered—including such factors as purchase price, fueling costs, and maintenance expenses—EVs come out ahead, especially in more affordable segments. (Download a PDF of the fact sheet and the complete report.)

The savings advantage can be compelling in the first few years and continues to improve the longer you own the EV.

Our study shows that fuel savings alone can be $4,700 or more over the first seven years.

https://www.consumerreports.org/hybrids-evs/evs-offer-big-savings-over-traditional-gas-powered-cars/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

The Nissan has been around a while given your short list it would provide a bigger pool of cars to chose from.

The Golf looks like a well developed car but as they are newer it might be difficult to get hold of a nearly new one along with correspondingly higher prices.

6 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Insurance doesn't cover any mechanics of a vehicle. It only covers body work. Apparently they can be totaled very easily even in a small crash.

In theory electric cars should perform as well in a crash safety test as the same model with a combustion engine but if an electric car has its battery damaged its cost to replace could result in a write off.

Scare story from the UK....

Electric car owners braced for ‘poll tax on wheels’

Every electric car sold in the UK is costing the Treasury around £1,000 in lost fuel and vehicle tax in its first year.

That’s according to new research published in the Sunday Times.

This has prompted warnings that road pricing will be introduced to offset the lost revenue, as the country heads towards the 2030 ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel cars.

Jaguar recently announced that it is to become a pure electric brand from 2025, while every new Ford sold in Europe will be all-electric by 2030.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/electric-car-owners-braced-for-e2-80-98poll-tax-on-wheels-e2-80-99/ar-BB1dW5mH

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Scare story from the UK

Every electric car sold in the UK is costing the Treasury around £1,000 in lost fuel and vehicle tax in its first year.

This has prompted warnings that road pricing will be introduced to offset the lost revenue, as the country heads towards the 2030 ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel cars.

Jaguar recently announced that it is to become a pure electric brand from 2025, while every new Ford sold in Europe will be all-electric by 2030.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/electric-car-owners-braced-for-e2-80-98poll-tax-on-wheels-e2-80-99/ar-BB1dW5mH

What's interesting is how the US will begin to handle things like this. You see a lot of electric cars, Tesla is VERY popular here, but time will tell how well the US copes with the loss of potential fossil fuel revenue. You're gonna have a lot of bad with the good, here, and that's equally concerning 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Scare story from the UK....

Electric car owners braced for ‘poll tax on wheels’

It was going to happen sooner or later but I doubt if the tax will be back dated. So if battery power is on your short list then buying earlier is probably a good idea.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

I drove a customer's Nissan Leaf.  It was pretty awesome.  I would have one except I cannot afford one.  Plus...you have to put this electric charger thingy in your garage...plus...there aren't really that many outlets for charging so...right now I think it's a zip around your side of the town kind of thing. 

Oh wait...I take that back...I would never own one...because the batteries are made mostly of cobalt which is mined in Africa by 5 year old slaves...look it up...

Oh I did own a hybrid honda civic thought....H  o  r  r  i  b  l  e   vehicle...slow uptake and we replaced the battery   TWICE  and they are not cheap my friend.

Edited by joc

Well, yea, maybe I'm swinging in too early. I can't reconcile the poor distances on most brands outside of Tesla. I like the Model 3, but outside of being electric, it's less car than I want for the price. May look towards hybrid Camry or Highlander. Wish they made a hybrid 4Runner, I'd be all over that.