Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists develop eerily realistic tech

Michelle

Ever wondered what your ancestors were like? Scientists develop eerily realistic deepfake technology that lets you 'bring the dead back to life'

Genealogy website MyHeritage has unveiled a bizarre new online tool that can animate old photos of deceased family members. 

The free deepfake technology, called Deep Nostalgia, takes any photo and animates the subject's face – with strangely realistic and unsettling results. 

Examples provided by MyHeritage show historical figures, including Queen Victoria, Mark Twain and Florence Nightingale, come to life.

cont...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-9300101/MyHeritages-deepfake-tool-animates-photos-dead-relatives.html

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Genealogy company MyHeritage is putting deepfake technology to a creatively unsettling use with a new feature called Deep Nostalgia. The system animates photographs of long-deceased loved ones, turning old still portraits into uncanny blinking and smiling videos.

Deepfake technology has been rapidly evolving over the past few years and generally stoking conversations over how close we are to completely losing faith in the veracity of the images we encounter. So far, the technology is still in its infancy but MyHeritage is presenting a novel use of deepfakes, bringing to life still photographs of dead relatives.

Deepfake tech used to bring dead relatives back to life (newatlas.com)

Edited by ted hughes
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

There have been alot of videos going around the last year or so showing how deepfake technology is getting intense.

It's really going to be a problem in the future.

• Like 2

This reminds me of the Black Mirror episode "Be Right Back".

Be careful what you wish for.

• Like 2

Recently done Tom Cruise deep fake looks pretty good.

• Like 3

I'm going to have my family Deepfake me when I'm in my coffin... take THAT, all those whom disrupted my life...  :passifier:

• Haha 3

It obviously in some cases should be a crime. Especially when someone is killed for what they were perceived to say through this deepfake usage. This isn't something entirely harmful, that is for sure.

• Like 2

My mate sent me a vid of me from a photo i sent him 2 years ago, in which was some sort of video. Avary some thing or other was the app he done it with. It has me singing to Ed Sheeran, who, annoyingly looks like me.

• Haha 2

It's surreal to see deepfakes being discussed like it's a new phenomenon. I remember watching this video 5 years ago that explained how they are made.

Edit: yeah found it, it was 5 years ago almost to the day, back in March 2016!!

Nothing to see here folks, old news.

Edited by Rolci
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Rolci said:

It's surreal to see deepfakes being discussed like it's a new phenomenon. I remember watching this video 5 years ago that explained how they are made.

Edit: yeah found it, it was 5 years ago almost to the day, back in March 2016!!

Nothing to see here folks, old news.

It is old news in some respects; but there are many advancements in deepfake technology eg. using machine learning, which bring it closer to being imperceptible from authentic footage to anyone unaware of the intricacies.

The reenactments in the video you posted look very unnatural/manipulation is very obvious. Which is reasonable for five years ago.

Are you up with the current deepfake technologies? 

Edit: Just one example here. 

Edited by Timothy
Edit.
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, gwa125 said:

My mate sent me a vid of me from a photo i sent him 2 years ago, in which was some sort of video. Avary some thing or other was the app he done it with. It has me singing to Ed Sheeran, who, annoyingly looks like me.

come on Ed...come out of the closet Ed

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Timothy said:

It is old news in some respects; but there are many advancements in deepfake technology eg. using machine learning, which bring it closer to being imperceptible from authentic footage to anyone unaware of the intricacies.

The reenactments in the video you posted look very unnatural/manipulation is very obvious. Which is reasonable for five years ago.

Are you up with the current deepfake technologies? 

Edit: Just one example here. 

I saw that video a few weeks back, personally I think both videos are not good enough, but the 2nd is indeed better

Edited by godnodog

8 hours ago, godnodog said:

come on Ed...come out of the closet Ed

Haha. I wish I had his money, (and his talent). Unfortunately I can barely play guitar, and my singing is best left undiscussed, unless I’ve had a few many pints of Stella. 

Well, this is what happens when we have all this computer technology. What started out as a great tool, has now become a tool of evil, and will be used, as this article stated, to hurt people and cause undeniable harm. I'm sure that politicians are using this right now.

• Like 1

Deep Fake of Tom Cruise? But...isnt Tom Cruise a Deep Fake anyway?  Asking for a friend:D