Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Davros of Skaro

Ravi Zacharias Postmortem Cancel

Recommended Posts

Davros of Skaro

The Christian world is canceling once beloved apologist.

"The influential evangelist Ravi Zacharias, who died last spring, engaged in “sexting, unwanted touching, spiritual abuse, and rape,” according to a report released on Thursday by the global evangelical organization he founded."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/11/us/ravi-zacharias-sexual-abuse.html

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
eight bits

Where are you going with this, Davros?

Personally, I never saw the attraction in RZ in the first place.

Yet another media personality turns out to be a sinner of one sort or another. Yeah, Christian media personality.

Meh, power corrupts?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Davros of Skaro
11 hours ago, eight bits said:

Where are you going with this, Davros?

Personally, I never saw the attraction in RZ in the first place.

Yet another media personality turns out to be a sinner of one sort or another. Yeah, Christian media personality.

Meh, power corrupts?

I waited a couple weeks to bring this to light here on UM.

Just saying. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
markdohle

Power corrupts, end of the story  When those in power forget that they are servants, then we get into trouble. 

Has no real effect on me.  Though I feel for his victims.

Peace
Mark

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
3 minutes ago, markdohle said:

Power corrupts, end of the story  When those in power forget that they are servants, then we get into trouble. 

Has no real effect on me.  Though I feel for his victims.

Peace
Mark

I was vaguely aware of the name, knew nothing more about him.  IMO, from what I've gleaned from scripture, anyone who uses the word to cheat, steal or otherwise harm others, ESPECIALLY if it drives them away from faith, has a far worse future ahead when they go to meet the Lord.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Davros of Skaro
3 hours ago, markdohle said:

Power corrupts, end of the story  When those in power forget that they are servants, then we get into trouble. 

Has no real effect on me.  Though I feel for his victims.

Peace
Mark

 

3 hours ago, and then said:

I was vaguely aware of the name, knew nothing more about him.  IMO, from what I've gleaned from scripture, anyone who uses the word to cheat, steal or otherwise harm others, ESPECIALLY if it drives them away from faith, has a far worse future ahead when they go to meet the Lord.  

Thank you both for your inputs.

Zechariah 13:8-9

"8 In the whole land, says the LORD, two-thirds shall be cut off and perish, and one-third shall be left alive. 9 And I will put this third into the fire, refine them as one refines silver, and test them as gold is tested. They will call on my name, and I will answer them. I will say, "They are my people"; and they will say, "The LORD is our God."'

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Wearer of Hats

Yes, it’s that terrible “cancel culture” of saying someone’s a **** but with all the bravery of waiting for them to be dead.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eight bits
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, President Wearer of Hats said:

Yes, it’s that terrible “cancel culture” of saying someone’s a **** but with all the bravery of waiting for them to be dead.

I'm not a fan of "cancel culture," but RZ's death wasn't the biggest factor here. He was very much alive when he settled the lawsuit(s) with the Canadian couple. That was under a non-disclosure agreement (still in effect, I'm told), but enough had already been made public before the settlement to know that sexual misconduct was an element of the accusations against him.

I am not disputing that death is sometimes a factor. For example, it is clear that Morton Smith, a powerful Ivy league professor, was only sporadically accused of forgery until after he died (secret mark morton smith, searchable). Now it's a "mainstream" position (although IMO still uncertain). On the one hand, his position of power in life plausibly inhibited accusers, on the other hand, he held that position because of his ability to make an argument effectively, and so to defend himself as needed. Either way, it is easier to accuse him now that he's dead.

The latest accusers in the RZ case include people whose testimony was actively sought by the investigators hired by the ministry. It really doesn't seem like "bravery" entered into it post-mortem. To all appearances, there were people who simply resigned themselves to RZ getting away with misconduct, and felt that there was nothing to be gained by coming forward. When asked to speak, well then, yes, they had something to say.

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nuclear Wessel
Quote

Not soon enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.