Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK rat sightings soar during pandemic

Eldorado

"Rat sightings across London have soared during the pandemic, new data from the British Pest Control Association (BPCA) suggests.

"In the first lockdown last spring, 51% of BPCA members reported a rise in rodent activity. By October, 78% of pest controllers were reporting more sightings.

"Recent figures from pest.co.uk also show there were 30 million more rats in the country in 2020 than in 2019.

"While in part experts say this is due to increased resistance to rat poisons, they say the numbers are mainly down to greater visibility."

Sky news report at MSN

Related news from late November 2020....

"Rat population surge in Glasgow: estimated 1.3m pests in city as lockdown brings increase across UK"

Glasgow Live report

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2

We need more weasels:

We have the same problem here in the Netherlands.

• Like 1

Rats come into our garden out of the nearby fields its a bit overkill but my dogs make short work of them 

• Like 3

A herd of cats will fix that. Although picking up dead rats left on your doorsteps is not for everyone. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/27/2021 at 10:06 AM, Abramelin said:

We need more weasels:

We have the same problem here in the Netherlands.

This is a random observation, but recently I saw a weasel in the wild for the first time in my life, perhaps they are generally nocturnal.  It was chasing a rabbit across a field, it looked so curious with it's long body. I think the rabbit got away.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ted hughes said:

This is a random observation, but recently I saw a weasel in the wild for the first time in my life, perhaps they are generally nocturnal.  It was chasing a rabbit across a field, it looked so curious with it's long body. I think the rabbit got away.

From what I know they hunt during daytime as well as during the night. That you rarely see them is because they are very small, very fast, and, very shy.

• Like 2

They are having problems with rats in my home town of Rotterdam as well. Some say "they are bigger than my cat" and that the curfew is partly to blame. 
Time to get the flame thrower out :yes:

• Like 1